Branching GSP won’t open

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the saltwater hobby but loving it! I currently have a 30gallon with about 30-40 lbs of rock (some dried and others were live). My ammonia is .25 , ph at 8.1, nitrate /nitrite are at 0. This is a 2 month old tank. I’ve introduced my first corals GSP and a Duncan , the Duncan is living it’s best life always open but I have yet to see the GSP open at all, I’ve had it for about a week and a half. Any tips would be appreciated

image.jpg

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing the .25 ammonia. What i have read GSP are really sensitive with water parameters. Is there a reason you have ammonia? It should stayed at 0.

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing the .25 ammonia. What i have read GSP are really sensitive with water parameters. Is there a reason you have ammonia? It should stayed at 0.

I’m not entirely sure , it could be my test kit I’m using the API saltwater Test kit and read they apparent have false positives with ammonia? Either way I’ve been dosing a bit of Seachem prime every 2 days to allow the ammonia to clear, I heard GSP is an easy coral but I might be one of the first to kill it lol send help , I forgot to add, I’m using the hipargero 30w LED for lighting, I also noticed some Dino growth on the GSP could that be bothering it?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on the right rock, connected to the purple putty stuff
there it is!
did you buy it local? or shipped?
maybe shipping shock if shipped. maybe too much light to start.
might want to move it to it's own rock unless you want that one covered when/if it recovers.

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on another note, where did you purchase branching GSP?
I want to add some to my tank.

Thanks for the feedback , I do want the whole rock in GSP lol I got it from a LFS called treasures of the sea, he has a big colony over 8 years old and just cuts a piece off to sell , I’m thinking it may be in shock still from being cut/ moved same day.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP can be finicky until it once gets started. It can sit for weeks without opening at all, and then be fine. Or it can be fine and then go dormant.

As long as the base flesh is purple and not white there's hope for a turnaround.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back