BranchingHammer’s sps journey

OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It’s not usually like me to post so many actinic pictures, and less daylight ones, but these are what I have right now from my last photoshoot :). I’ll throw in some daylight ones this week at some point.
BC Aquatic man:
F517D8A0-8C0B-4700-AB6A-37544B6A628B.jpeg

EC537FDD-F060-44FB-8C07-513FE03D7A60.jpeg

A top down of various corals:
8DEAB14A-AA5D-42CA-B840-B690D14B6144.jpeg

RRC Pink Cadillac
07D19BC8-C233-4159-B3A6-8EE8CDDD8CAE.jpeg

Avast
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also, I got a new toy for my reef! The Tropic Marin precision hydrometer. Just measured my salinity and I can confirm that my tank is definitely at: 1.0273 specific gravity. I checked my refractometer against it and I got 1.027 there too. Definitely confident with my salinity measurements going forward! :D:D

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Also, I got a new toy for my reef! The Tropic Marin precision hydrometer. Just measured my salinity and I can confirm that my tank is definitely at: 1.0273 specific gravity. I checked my refractometer against it and I got 1.027 there too. Definitely confident with my salinity measurements going forward! :D:D

Nice. Is that the one that floats in the tank? If so I was looking at that one too for awhile. I might just pull the trigger. I have the Hanna digital tester and always looking for redundancy.

OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I mounted my Bonfire contest frag, but I made a bit of an oopsie: I had mounted it WAY too close to my BC strawberry fields. I then tried to remount the strawberry fields, but ended up moving them closer together. I’ll show you the situation tonight before I attempt to move them apart. I also realized that not all of my Battlecorals will be able to fit in this tank... Time to ready the grow out tank for sps!!! :eek:

OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've been super busy lately, and unfortunately, I don't think that the busyness will subside until early June. Anyways, an update on the tank: Haven't tested alk in a while, so it crept up to 8.5, not an ideal situation. Some corals have some thin-textured flesh, but should be okay in a month. My plan is to reduce the alk via water changes with 7.5 alk water, and to reduce alk dosing. Good thing is that the bonfire frag is looking as good as ever. While, I didn't want to share another disappointing update like this, I felt obliged to tell the whole story of my tank, and not just the best stuff.

Good news: My birthday is coming up, and I've decided to treat myself to an Aquatic Life 36in T5 hybrid to help illuminate the shadows in my tank. Super excited to see how that will turn out!

Let me just say, while acros can be super frustrating at times, and I often kick myself for stupid mistakes that I make, I still love them because of their difficulty and of course their rewarding colors. At the end of the day, I'm just grateful for corals like BC Aquatic Man, which always seem to aim to please me!

Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration