OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow clammania too but don't know much about them. You got some nice ones!
From what I know, they raise captive-bred clams and quarantine them for at least 3 months in their California systems. They have a great selection of multiple species of clams and are ready to help when you need it. Looking for a few more clams, and that's where I will very likely be getting them from.

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what came to my door today :upside-down-face:
Battlecorals bucket 8:25:22.png

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been super busy plumbing a new surprise tank I've been working on for the past year!! Almost done :D Will post pics tomorrow!

In the meantime, some semi-recent shots I've taken:

Trachy close up 2 8:29:22.png

Trachy Close up 8:29:22.png

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates, updates, updates...
I just realized how long it's been since I've updated this thread!
Mostly good things have happened since my last post, haven't lost any coral, but I did end up losing my baby maxima to pyramid snails. Oddly enough, the crocea and derasa have not been affected really at all by them, but I'm keeping my eye out.
Speaking of snails, I added one or two stomatella snails that came as hitchhikers on a frag, and for the first time, I was successful in having them breed in my tanks! I've tried this a few times before, but the six line wrasse always took care of them before they had a chance to breed. Now I have them crawling all over, and they keep making more babies because there is plenty of algae in my tank lol.

At this point, I feel like my reefing mindset has shifted to not caring about algae as much as coral health. Sure, I have a bunch of hair algae, but I've also never seen growth like this before from any of my corals.

Lastly, the big surprise that I was hinting at in the last post was the setup of my clam/shallow cube tank that I plumbed into my main system. My plan for stocking it is mostly staghorns, clams, and sand-dwelling LPS, but with the rise of pyramid snails in my system, I might not be able to fulfill my dreams as far as clams go. However, I'm excited to fill it with plenty of acros in the future!

I suspect that overfeeding and the auto water change system that I installed via Hydros is the key to my current success at this point, but fingers crossed for the future.

Also, I noticed some bryopsis, and I'm deathly afraid that it will take over my system, but I feel prepared after many have taken the path of flucanazole in the past with similar tanks.

Here are some quick pics of the tank(s) that I snapped (ignore the dirty glass and algae for now haha):

FTS both tanks 11:27:22.png

FTS main tank 11:27:22.png

FTS Clam tank 11:27:22.png

Top Down Left 11:27:22.png

Top Down Right 11:27:22.png

Top Rock Acros 11:27:22.png

Hawkins Echinata 11:27:22.png

Unkown Candlelights 11:27:22.png

Raindrops on Roses 11:27:22.png

Hammer 11:27:22.png

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to post more pictures soon... Got rid of a bunch of algae manually, and trying my hand at a Lettuce sea slug Elysia clarki to handle some bryopsis in the cube tank. Also, I noticed that everything was growing a little slower recently, then checked my alk and realized it was at 6.7, which is not ideal. On the bright side, this is a good problem to have, and I bumped up the dosing by another 10mL a day for both calcium and alkalinity. I have a slight problem with cyano, but it might have been caused by the addition of dry rock and live sand in the cube tank, and I think it will go away on its own. I've started bacteria dosing some microbacter7 everyday to add more bacterial diversity and potentially outcompete the cyano, but I don't think it will have much of an effect.
Everything else looks pretty good though!

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures!

av99 Orange Crush, BC Queen Wasp, BC Rainbow Table, BC Raindrops on Roses under daylight
av99 Orange Crush.jpg

BC Vectorman (daylight)
BC Vectorman.jpg

BC Xmas (actinics)
BC Xmas.jpg

BC Rainbow Table, BC Raindrops on Roses, and others under actinics
Rainbow Table Actinic.jpg

TAC Splash of Rainbow (actinics)
I have mixed feelings about this one. I generally avoid blue light tenuis because I prefer corals that look good under daylight too, but it's fun to watch it slowly color up I guess. Only tenuis I really want is a Walt Disney or something that looks nice under whites too.
TAC Splash of Rainbow.jpg

Poletti Yellow Tip (daylight)
Poletti Yellow Tip.jpg

Forgot Name Super Shaggy Thing (daylight)
I love this acro! Shaggiest thing I've ever seen, but I'm still trying to figure out its growth pattern. At first I thought it was a table, but now its shooting branches like a stag or something.
Unkown shaggy.jpg

Hawkins Echinata (daylight)
Hawkins Echinata.jpg

Green mariculture frag that I saw potential in and turned into this mini colony (daylight then actinic)
Unkown 1.jpg

Unkown 1 Actinic.jpg

Another green mariculture frag that I saw even more potential in (daylight)
Starting to take off again after awhile
Unkown 2.jpg

More to come soon!

Attachments

• av99 Orange Crush.jpg
    av99 Orange Crush.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 19
  • BC Vectorman.jpg
    BC Vectorman.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 20
  • BC Xmas.jpg
    BC Xmas.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Poletti Yellow Tip.jpg
    Poletti Yellow Tip.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Hawkins Echinata.jpg
    Hawkins Echinata.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would drop these FTS from New Year's Day here. :D Also, I never posted much about the addition of the clam/acro tank onto the main tank, and I'm especially proud of the plumbing, so maybe that will come sooner or later haha

Main tank:
1674618204946.png

Clam tank:
1674618259092.png

The entire system together:
1674618279060.png

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And an almost full tank actinic shot that I just snapped for fun a few days ago. Lots of growth growing on, especially in the tabling acros! I'm going to have to start pruning/relocating in a few months to keep them from stinging each other.
FTS Actinic 1:21:23.png

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new idea for the clam tank is to fill it with a bunch of shallow water acro light hogs and blast them along with the clams.
Some of the species that come to mind that I’ve always wanted to fill a tank with:
A. digitifera
A. Humulis
A. Spathulata
A. Millepora
A. Gemmifera
A. Abrotanoides
A. Robusta
And more!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And an almost full tank actinic shot that I just snapped for fun a few days ago. Lots of growth growing on, especially in the tabling acros! I'm going to have to start pruning/relocating in a few months to keep them from stinging each other.
FTS Actinic 1:21:23.png
Tank looks great!

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few quick photos I took of the tank the other day. Not the best photos but gives you an idea of growth in some places. Also, ignore the algae on the walls and overflow, I haven't had time to deal with it lol

Euphyllia and mariculture acro.png

Right side main tank.png

Monti Penninsula.png

Acros Group Shot.png

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot to mention that my Pocillipora did some asexual reproduction, and there's a few new mini colonies that started from a single polyp. A lot of people see this as invasive, and I'm sure I will someday too, but I'm too interested in coral biology to care at this point. I think it's pretty cool to be honest.

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, but look what I got in the mail the other day! Some frags from @Battlecorals! Two of them were for the contests (Space Laser and Rainbow's Army), but I also received BC Red Hot Hat Digitifera and BC Bleeding tree. Super excited to see what these thick-branchers do in my shallow water cube. Thanks again Adam! Excellent packaging per usual...

Sorry for the horrible photos, I really need to clean my glass haha
Frag Pack Picture 2:23.jpeg

Acclimating Frag Pack.jpeg

Frag Pack names.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back