Brand Loyality: Are you a brand club member?

Are you loyal to a certain brand or product in the aquarium industry?

• Yes

Votes: 198 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 287 56.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 20 4.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok what do I mean by a "Brand Club Member?"

Not sure if this is still a thing but back in the earlier years we had threads (clubs) for different brands and products that were made up of brand loyal hobbyists. Some examples were the MRC Skimmer Club or the H&S Skimmer Club etc. Now the wording has transitioned to "owners." Like the Red Sea Max Owners and so forth. I was a member of some of those clubs! HA!

I was thinking yesterday about how people can be very loyal to a certain product or brand. Sometimes even to an unhealthy point! Maybe there is a connection with a person within a company, a nostalgic memory, knowledge about a certain product or more than anything trust in the brand. So lets talk about that today!

1. If there were a "club" for your favorite aquarium brand or product would you be a dedicated member?

2. What does it take to earn your business as a loyal customer?

3. What brand or product, if any, would you consider yourself loyal to?

Brand Loyal.jpg

Reaper603

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that I stick to using red sea products than any others most of the time. When I research their products they seem to be tested,trusted,and just work between their testing equipment,salt,and additives. But I am also a year into saltwater builds and I started with a red sea reefer 250.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what do I mean by a "Brand Club Member?"

Not sure if this is still a thing but back in the earlier years we had threads (clubs) for different brands and products that were made up of brand loyal hobbyists. Some examples were the MRC Skimmer Club or the H&S Skimmer Club etc. Now the wording has transitioned to "owners." Like the Red Sea Max Owners and so forth. I was a member of some of those clubs! HA!

I was thinking yesterday about how people can be very loyal to a certain product or brand. Sometimes even to an unhealthy point! Maybe there is a connection with a person within a company, a nostalgic memory, knowledge about a certain product or more than anything trust in the brand. So lets talk about that today!

1. If there were a "club" for your favorite aquarium brand or product would you be a dedicated member?

Probably not

2. What does it take to earn your business as a loyal customer?

Excellent customer service will get me coming back again and again and telling all my friends. Conversely, bad service will do exactly the opposite even if what you have is a competitive product

3. What brand or product, if any, would you consider yourself loyal to?

Russ and the folks at www.buckeyehydro.com. See #2

Brand Loyal.jpg

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Brand club members" are now called fan boys, and they can get quite loud and obnoxious. I am not a fan boy of any brand, and will never say get this brand over that, unless there is really strong case for it (ex: current USA lights shouldnt be used on 24" high SPS dominant tank) While I may like 1 brand over the other, it doesnt mean I will always use thatbrand, and that brand alone. I am also frugal and dont need super high end equipment, so due to that I think I may have more options to choose from than people that do need best of the best.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorta. I have Ecotech lights, return and powerhead pumps. I choose them to be able to control everything from one app. Also my controller system I choose to stick to one brand for simple operation through one app. As you can see I may have choose a specific brand I did it to make my life more simple.

I wanted interoperability on the products I selected.

I’m defiantly not a fanboy as I believe both those brands can go a long way to improve their products.

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze.

I can not even count how many skimmers and pumps I have purchased for different tanks over the years.
Only once did need customer service.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Loyalty goes to

1. Kessil
2. Rossmont
3. Tunze

I have never had a product I was disappointed with from any of these manufactures and never have I been disapointed with the customer support.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use whatever I think will do what I want the cheapest with sufficient quality. Reef Octo, Sicce, Ecotech, Brightwell, Brs, Tropic Marin, Red Sea, Rubbermaid and many others. I am uncomfortable going to Home Depot and getting chemicals my fish have to breathe.

I am also uncomfortable using someones system and putting it on autopilot. I try to understand what I am doing and why. I cant say I am always successful.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Customer Service and backing their products. Ecotech and Neptune, customer service is excellent, in my cases anyways. Tropic Marin and customer service also!

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a member to some brand Facebook pages but does not mean I will not look at other brand. Brand I use is based on value based on performance and reliability. I am a frugal reefer.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly, but I am not opposed to new things entering my orbit of use.

I tend to move towards brands that have long lifespans (think decade, not years), super reliable and whose companies survive the ups and downs of the economy and hobby. Most reefers probably were not around in 2006-2007 in the last crash, but that wiped out a lot of companies and the next one will too. The ones that are run well enough to survive usually make good products.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm as loyal to a brand as they prove themselves worth it through their products and service. I differentiate between 'fan boys' and 'brand loyalists' from myself. I do not go with one brand because of any nostalgia...companies and products change to fast for that. I'm only loyal to a vendor that earns that with every interaction with me. I will go them first and even use them if slightly higher cost (up to a point) as long as quality of service remains the same and they have the product I need.

Currently Tunze, LiveAquaria, BRS and Tidal Gardens have earned my loyalty and referenceability (which is why I mention them by name) because of quality of products/service combined with support, responsiveness and to a certain extent what they've given back to the reefing community.

I have several other products I use and am happy with but there either hasn't been an opportunity for me to assess them on fully on service/product/support or because I simply haven't used them long enough.

Jerry Ebner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Radion Lights after long research and they are now my goto lights. reef octo gear otherwise. When it comes to aquariums Marineland has never let me down. Just to name a few . Reputation for being a solid product when it comes to the above. But the rest might just come down to reviews or price .

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back