Brand Loyality: Are you a brand club member?

Are you loyal to a certain brand or product in the aquarium industry?

• Yes

Votes: 198 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 287 56.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 20 4.0%

• Total voters

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only two years in with a single tank but I am forming my go to brands.
EcoTech Radions for my display lights
“” Vortech’s for my powerheads
Alex controller- which makes it tough to deviate from the DOS and the AFS.
I will admit that I have several areas where I still need to find “the right brand”. Sump, return pump and supplements.

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem all day long. I keep a shelf of practically every one of their products as I keep both freshwater and saltwater and use seachem for both. Even all my HOBS are seachem. The only thing I'm not using is their salt because my recipe is down to a T. They have great customer service as well.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t give a monkeys about brands. I do my research and if it seems right for me then I buy it. The only brand I repeatedly buy the same one of is salt for obvious reasons.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on - if something work for me and my aquarium - I'm loyal. If it does not work - I test something else. Not changing a winning team.

Sincerely Lasse

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure I would say loyal to a brand so much as I would say loyal to quality ,,

I buy most of the equipment I need from BRS ,, love this company ,, sell pretty much everything at a good price ,, how to video's ,,, video's where they pitt one piece of equipment against another to find out which one is best ,, second best ,, and so on ,, gives you all the info to make a smart choice and get the best bang for you $$$

When I was looking to replace a couple Media Reactors for my tanks ,, went to BRS to see what they were offering ,, they had several ,, I went with Marine Depot ,,, Marine Depot sells Aqua Max Reactors ,, these are quality Reactors ,, better made than the Brands that BRS was selling and for not that much more money ,, I like buying stuff that will last ,,

You build a better mouse trap I am buying form you ,,

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't fully comprehend your question. I use various brands. As far as considering myself "loyal" to particular brands, I choose the best that I can afford after researching (watching YouTube reviews, BRS reviews, etc). I've never received anything other than a "thank you for choosing our products" - it would be great if I could actually receive bonus points/credits towards discounts on future purchases. If these do exist, then I must be living under a large rock. The only exception(s) I can cite include most often purchases from my favourite LFS, whom all give me 10% discounts on everything that I purchase (even products/food for my dog!) from them and they all pay me (either in cash or store credit) for providing them with healthy, feeding tank bred stock. In that regard, I count my blessings. This can be a very expensive hobby and every little bit helps to offset running costs. Living in Australia excludes me from participation in R2R "give away" programs - re., only USA addresses are eligible. I'd really like to see that change for the benefit of all overseas members.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not blind loyalty, but I love me some Tunze.

SyracuseMatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and No. I have opinions on brands based on research and limited personal experience but, I'm not tied to a single brand. I have been very lucky in terms of what i have purchased over the years, basically only having three problems: 1) I bought a first gen Maxspect Gyre where the controller didn't work right and imho the product was not quite ready for prime time (I now run two of the 300 series); 2) I had to replace an impeller on an old Reef Octo skimmer pump; and 3) Neptune DOS dosing containers is not the best product again, imho. But other than that, here are my general thoughts:

1) BRS branded products- good quality, value and customer support; I trust that what they are selling me is reasonably suited for the purpose intended;

2) Ecotech- good quality and customer support; I have 5 of their lights and 3 vortechs, never had a problem with any of them;

3) Neptune- run two Apex systems- still feel like setting up things could be easier but, never had any issues other than learning curve issues;

4) Reef Octopus- I bought my first skimmer used as a part of a 90 gallon system; it now is a part of my 180; changed an impeller but, has been reliable and functional; periodically, I think about 'upgrading' but have yet to come up with a good reason to do so;

5) Eheim- return pumps- bullet proof in my experience; seemingly run forever with no maintenance;

6) Trigger systems- had a LFS sump which broke (probably because it wasn't constructed properly); bought a Trigger Systems sump- it is well thought out and functional; and

7) Marineland Tanks- been using for larger tanks for decades, 75 gallon plus, starting with freshwater; knock on wood, I've never had one leak.

For a niche market, I find the products across most manufacturers to be remarkably reliable. There is certainly room for improvement with respect to functionality and ease of use on things like lights, in tank pumps and controllers but, it seems like most manufactures/suppliers are committed to evolving their products to improve them. Maxspect is an example. I loved the flow of my first gen gyre but hated the controller and maintenance was 'problematic'. I returned it, but, when their current generation came out, I gave them another try. I really like the 300 series pumps now (I've got an MP60 and MP40 sitting in a closet because I prefer the flow of the current gen gyres-caveat- vortechs require much less maintenance to maintain flow in my experience).

For a relatively small industry, I think we have a lot of great companies and products to choose from. Most seem genuinely passionate about the hobby and their products.

Matt

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have:

Kessil, ATI, Eheim, Tunze, Apex, Rossmont and Cobalt items in my tank. So I definitely have commitment issues.

For me, it's not so much brand but suppliers. I'll only shop for items from certain vendors....livestock also fits into this.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said “no” but the reality is that it depends. I started down the Apex route a long time ago and the issue is more about switching costs than brand loyalty. That being said, I have had good service and quality from Neptune Apex and they have not given me a reason to switch.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm loyal to a certain brand if they have proven results from people I trust. That doesn't mean I won't consider switching to a new brand if I hear good things about them.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero loyalty for brands.

One brand can make a perfect light (ATI) and then sell rebranded Jebao doser.

Neptune can make a nice Apex, mediocre doser and horrible reservoir and feeder.

I trust to particular models, but newer to the brands.

Dev795

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to be “loyal” to a specific brand, but man the “great” brands are so out of budget for most people unless you pull out a loan just to do it...i may be only a year into this hobby and would love to have the name brands i love but budget does not allow.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Brand club members" are now called fan boys, and they can get quite loud and obnoxious. I am not a fan boy of any brand, and will never say get this brand over that, unless there is really strong case for it (ex: current USA lights shouldnt be used on 24" high SPS dominant tank) While I may like 1 brand over the other, it doesnt mean I will always use thatbrand, and that brand alone. I am also frugal and dont need super high end equipment, so due to that I think I may have more options to choose from than people that do need best of the best.

Hit the nail on the head, ;). I personally like using products that simply do what they are intended to do without needing to buy them every year. Also will spend more $$$ for something that is tried and true and from a manufacturer that has transparency versus someone that pops up with a product without giving more details about the product.

I have found that this approach helps prevent me from wasting money on some things that others seem to always have an issue with. Do not need to have the latest greatest was the first obstacle to overcome and once that was realized, I've enjoyed the hobby much more.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. If there were a "club" for your favorite aquarium brand or product would you be a dedicated member?
yes. For years a member of tetra club

2. What does it take to earn your business as a loyal customer?
SUPPORT : Great customer service, assistance after the purchase, product that lives to its name and quality

3. What brand or product, if any, would you consider yourself loyal to?
Apex - The equipment and customer service has NEVER EVER Let me down. Orphek is next in line.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back