Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Should I install multiple return lines?
This is generally not necessary, and I will show you why.

If you inject a visible additive like an Alkalinity solution down at the intake of the return pump, you can observe just how quickly water mixes in a tank.

With adequate powerhead flow, all that water will mix together into a uniform haze in a few seconds with even low amounts of flow. This happens whether the the return is one outlet or many different ones. This is a good indication of why you need not worry about multiple outlets or placing an outlet as far away from the overflow as possible. Consider the following:

• Splitting the return can unnecessarily add to friction loss of the return system, lessening the output of the pump. In order to compensate for this, you would need multiple outlets – which are unsightly and provide no benefits
  • Unless you have a 300+ gallon system or an 8′ long tank, there is no need to use more than a single return outlet
  • A single return line is inconspicuous and easy to hide out of sight"
source: GMACreef

@Katrina71
See i'm just being obtuse and unnecessary by doing all the dual return quad output crap in my tank...I'm like that ya know! :cool:
Meh. I disagree with that article. If you have internal overflows I find it important because you can bend the closest loc-line return to eliminate dead spots which are very common in tanks with big megaflows. Also some areas have minimal or no surface agitation, bending one loc-line to the water level instantly fixes that issue as well. More gas exchange, evaporation, things I want.
I do agree that it reduces the maximum flow performance on pumps. I would of got a bigger pump for my 90 if I knew what I know now.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@kiwis take a look here. We were just talking about this last night.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190818_073400_01.gif

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh. I disagree with that article. If you have internal overflows I find it important because you can bend the closest loc-line return to eliminate dead spots which are very common in tanks with big megaflows. Also some areas have minimal or no surface agitation, bending one loc-line to the water level instantly fixes that issue as well. More gas exchange, evaporation, things I want.
I do agree that it reduces the maximum flow performance on pumps. I would of got a bigger pump for my 90 if I knew what I know now.
That can be fixed with powerheads though, no need for an extra return. Either way the flow is needed just depends how ya wanna incorporate it into the tank.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am incorporating (someday) added random flow using my two returns. The returns are single returns for each of the two pumps. The SeaSwirls will provide oscillating random flow at each point of return. Each SeaSwirl will be outfitted with Random Flow Generator nozzles. There will also be two MP-40s on board. This should be more like a washing machine, if everything runs wide open (which I am not planning).

Top1.jpg

Double Pumper2.jpg

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am incorporating (someday) added random flow using my two returns. The returns are single returns for each of the two pumps. The SeaSwirls will provide oscillating random flow at each point of return. Each SeaSwirl will be outfitted with Random Flow Generator nozzles. There will also be two MP-40s on board. This should be more like a washing machine, if everything runs wide open (which I am not planning).

Top1.jpg

Double Pumper2.jpg

Pretty ;Drool

I'm still not sure what pump to go with on my build for the closed loop, I wanted to stay away from the Vectras but aside from the Sicce SDC there aren't any pumps out there with random flow preset in the pump controllers.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty ;Drool

I'm still not sure what pump to go with on my build for the closed loop, I wanted to stay away from the Vectras but aside from the Sicce SDC there aren't any pumps out there with random flow preset in the pump controllers.
I am afraid mine will be frozen up by the time I get to use them. They are already a couple years out of warranty. :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid mine will be frozen up by the time I get to use them. They are already a couple years out of warranty. :)

Lol that's not good. You know it blows my mind that these $1-2,000+ pumps don't have any preset flow patterns and they need a separate controller to make flow patterns...

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that's not good. You know it blows my mind that these $1-2,000+ pumps don't have any preset flow patterns and they need a separate controller to make flow patterns...
You sound like me. Can't ever find something that fits my needs exactly. It causes me to have do-overs, which leads to delays. There, that's another reason for my dry and dusty tank. :cool:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Top1.jpg

Double Pumper2.jpg
What’s that vibration mat they are sitting on? That’s neat.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back