Brand new Aquamaxx RODI system broke

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in despirate need of help. I just bought a brand new Aquamaxx Puratek RODI unit. As I was unboxing it and putting it together, I broke a 90 degree connector which connects to the cap of the RO membrane. It is completely my fault because I didn't read the directions all the way through. I was supposed to disconnect the line going into the membrane before unscrewing the cap. Now I have a broken connector and a part of it is stuck in the cap. I will provide pics below so you can see what I'm talking about. Now, to make matters worse I purchased the unit from Marine Depot just before they merged with BRS. Being a brand new unit, I am trying to get help through the manufacturer, but I have not received any replies. Nor do I know if I will get any at all with the merger which is why I'm reaching out to this community for help.

Thanks in advance,
Kenny G.

85713A37-9484-4F71-B2F1-2C0F87AFA731.jpeg D58A63A6-F6CB-4AEC-8DED-E35C98FEC650.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get the piece out use an easy out (screw extractor)
You dont need any lube and there is no need to drill it since it has a hole in the middle.
It works by screwing it in ( in reverse ). As it gets tighter in the hole it will unscrew the stuck part.

While at the hardware get another John Guest 90
Ok. I will do that. What is a John Guest 90?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had this happen and stuck a screwdriver in it and pressed the ring and it came right out. Very easy and cheap repair !!

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee there are a dozen ways to get it out. The easy out is the best solution so no damage happens to the treads. And when you put the new one in use a little Teflon tape on the treads and don’t over tighten it.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take the membrane cap OFF and us an oversize screwdriver to back it out from the inside of the cap....

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all of your help. I picked up a screw extractor from HD and it came right out. Now I just have to locate the part that broke. However, I have a few questions:

1- I'm not sure what I need to ask for? Is it called a John guest 90 like lapin mentioned
2- what size am I looking for on both ends? I think the end with the tubing is 1/4", but I'm not sure about the other end that screws in to the cap?
3- Is this going to be a specialty part that I need to order or can I find it locally?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back