****Brand new AQUASCAPE forum****

calvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think? Would love some feedback. Thanks!
IMG_2947.jpg

Rennan Serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think? Would love some feedback. Thanks!
IMG_2947.jpg
What is your tank dimmensions?

Specially for SPS i would make it lower.

Personally, i like to have 2/3 of the height free for upward coral grow and 1/3 free on the front get that deep view sensation.

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, some I'm new to marine and am about to start curing some rock. I fort I'd see how I can scape it first, does this look ok would it need more gaps?
IMG_20190419_165728.jpg
IMG_20190419_165740.jpg

Cmedeiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, some I'm new to marine and am about to start curing some rock. I fort I'd see how I can scape it first, does this look ok would it need more gaps?
IMG_20190419_165728.jpg
IMG_20190419_165740.jpg

It could be better with more open spaces.

Are you going to secure the rock or just place it firmly ?

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constructive criticism please - this is my first aquascape :p
IMG_0840.jpg
What you are seeing is:
145cm x 60cm x 65cm height (tank is in workshop)
masking tape rectangle's outer edge simulates outside tank edges (surprisingly table's 'work surface' is 145cm long and 90 cm wide ignoring the decorated edge)
Tape is 4 cm wide.
Cardboard in right back corner simulates weir tower - its 60 cm height not full 65 but i'm guessing water level will be about there anyway. ~46x20cm was sectioned of for weir towr so right side cosntruction is to the front.
This is our kitchen/dining room - aquarium will stand in the corner back and right side to the wall (well right side will have ~3-4 cm space - i'm hoping it's enought to wave maker magents in)

It's a free standing Aquaforest Synthetic rock (AF Rock) structure.
Some points like the horn on left side will definitely need structural support, but most is pretty stable.

Mini AF rock review:
AF Rock mostly comes hotdog and hamburger bun sized peaces ( a bit wider and squatter i magine squishing it a bit) - bottom flat-ish, top is what you see basically - bumpy and pointy.
For better or for worse - density from my batch is definitely not uniform. Disclaimer: I ordered 50 kg from marine-aquatics.eu - supposedly bought 5 x 10kg boxes but shipment came in 2 home made boxes - hey its around 1000km trip - shipping is expensive). Some pieces are almost monoliths others seem like a bunch of small rocks barely stuck together. I put the dense ones at the bottom for structural stability.
Drop test - pass :D I did manage to drop a few from structure an a coupe on the ground - except for a couple niks the rocks were fine.

I did not break rock, I did not chisel, no drilling - I'm a noob who does not know what he wants and have more rock than I needed (af rock supposedly is not as dense as other other rocks - there is 1/3 left) so I played with what I got.

I tried gluing stuff with Stone Fix into bigger parts ... lets say results were hilarious - 80% of glue was thrown out. I only got 1.6kg and wasted most of it. :D it went like this: mix almost water, almost water, almost water, almost water,Holy crap it's almost brick solid. <- need to work out exact water/cement mix. Anyway only a few pieces of the left most tower base were glued - as we were pretty sure we liked the left ark structure.
Here are more pictures:
IMG_0838.jpg
IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg
IMG_0844.jpg
IMG_0843.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0840.jpg
What you are seeing is:
masking tape rectangle's outer edge simulates outside tank edges (surprisingly table's 'work surface' is 145cm long and 90 cm wide ignoring the decorated edge)
Tape is 4 cm wide.
Cardboard in right back corner simulates weir tower - its 60 cm height not full 65 but i'm guessing water level will be about there anyway. ~46x20cm was sectioned of for weir towr so right side cosntruction is to the front.
This is our kitchen/dining room - aquarium will stand in the corner back and right side to the wall (well right side will have ~3-4 cm space - i'm hoping it's enought to wave maker magents in)

Some points like the horn on left side will definitely need structural support, but most is pretty stable.

Mini AF rock review:
AF Rock mostly comes hotdog and hamburger bun sized peaces ( a bit wider and squatter i magine squishing it a bit) - bottom flat-ish, top is what you see basically - bumpy and pointy.
For better or for worse - density from my batch is definitely not uniform. Disclaimer: I ordered 50 kg from marine-aquatics.eu - supposedly bought 5 x 10kg boxes but shipment came in 2 home made boxes - hey its around 1000km trip - shipping is expensive). Some pieces are almost monoliths others seem like a bunch of small rocks barely stuck together. I put the dense ones at the bottom for structural stability.
Drop test - pass :D I did manage to drop a few from structure an a coupe on the ground - except for a couple niks the rocks were fine.

I did not break rock, I did not chisel, no drilling - I'm a noob who does not know what he wants and have more rock than I needed (af rock supposedly is not as dense as other other rocks - there is 1/3 left) so I played with what I got.

I tried gluing stuff with Stone Fix into bigger parts ... lets say results were hilarious - 80% of glue was thrown out. I only got 1.6kg and wasted most of it. :D it went like this: mix almost water, almost water, almost water, almost water,Holy **** it's almost brick solid. <- need to work out exact water/cement mix. Anyway only a few pieces of the left most tower base were glued - as we were pretty sure we liked the left ark structure.
Here are more pictures:
IMG_0838.jpg
IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg
IMG_0844.jpg
IMG_0843.jpg

Hey its a thumbs up from me... Good Job

Lenny blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First reef tank, first aquascape, found it a bit tricky since it’s a nano (20G) just went for lots of swim throughs, something that wasn’t too symmetrical and providing different levels in the tanks to provide different lighting and flow.
Definitely would of spent more time covering up the epoxy joins, I know they’ll grow over but still an eye sore in the meantime.

6CAE144D-0AE2-4B52-897C-98320764077C.jpeg

7EDB15E0-B8D5-47DD-B5BB-8B0A5629F5B1.jpeg

8239CDF1-028D-49E6-9F5D-80BD2A4BF46E.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shape came out fantastic! Very interesting. From all angles too. The first image almost looks like a dinosaur skull (facing left).

Makes me think of ur gem brian. These style scapes in the small / medium tanks are always pleasing. Nice work

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0840.jpg
What you are seeing is:
Tape is 4 cm wide.

Mini AF rock review:

I tried gluing stuff with Stone Fix into bigger parts ... lets say results were hilarious - 80% of glue was thrown out. I only got 1.6kg and wasted most of it. :D it went like this: mix almost water, almost water, almost water, almost water,Holy **** it's almost brick solid. <- need to work out exact water/cement mix. Anyway only a few pieces of the left most tower base were glued - as we were pretty sure we liked the left ark structure.
Here are more pictures:
IMG_0838.jpg
IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg
IMG_0844.jpg
IMG_0843.jpg

Looks good, but I doubt it will hold water all that good :p

When ever I upgrade to a bigger tank I think I will do that playing around on a template, great idea!

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked on my aquascape with repairfolks in my home; so I'll tackle it in the morning, but mine looked 'somewhat' like yours, as to where I wanted to head, and I had NOT seen yours. :) Am I posting it in the right place to put the pics here??thx

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything got in the way of getting the scaping done. Probably after I sleep on this I may change things up. BTW this is not the sand that will be in it; and I have to look-see again b4 I start gluing...need some more height; which the sand and gluing will provide. It's just a 15 coIumn. I want this nano super simple. That side view u rock near the back against the glass but this will NOT be the case... nothing will be touching the glass,If and that will come a tad forward...if anything there might be just one more piece of rock but I doubt it. That little have acenter Ipiece on the ground in the middle and s coming out.Thoughts anyone...

IMG_20190714_151637.jpg

IMG_20190714_172014.jpg

IMG_20190714_151637.jpg

IMG_20190714_172446.jpg

IMG_20190714_172709.jpg

IMG_20190714_172014.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back