Brand New captive-bred Hybrid Angelfish and Captive-bred Comets

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright y'all,

We have some crazy angelfish in stock right now. The newest addition to our availability is the Nebula Angelfish or the Xanthotis X Griffis Angelfish Hybrid. These came in looking amazing and no two look the same. These are some of the rarest angelfish in the world since their parents could never meet in the wild. Also they're incredibly adorable. You can read more about them in Reefbuilder's article here: https://reefbuilders.com/2021/03/26...li-aquarich-creates-another-impossible-cross/
PXL_20210416_190331889.jpg

I'm also adding a few captive-bred gold flake angelfish, a very limited number of captive-bred purple masked angelfish, and a single captive-bred lemon peel to the site! The gold flakes are all a perfect size to add to a reef right now at around 2"+.

I also received a brand new species for us in a single captive-bred bicolor angelfish. This is one of the cutest baby angelfish I've every seen check her out with all the goldflakes! PM me about the bicolor angelfish if you're interested.
PXL_20210416_190318924 (1).jpg

Also for the first time ever we have Captive-bred Marine Bettas on the site. We've been holding these guys at the facility for a little bit and they've been great and incredibly fun to watch. Make sure you have some shaded areas in the tank so they can get comfortable and hide from the direct lighting.
marine betta S.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is awesome!

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright y'all,

We have some crazy angelfish in stock right now. The newest addition to our availability is the Nebula Angelfish or the Xanthotis X Griffis Angelfish Hybrid. These came in looking amazing and no two look the same. These are some of the rarest angelfish in the world since their parents could never meet in the wild. Also they're incredibly adorable. You can read more about them in Reefbuilder's article here: https://reefbuilders.com/2021/03/26...li-aquarich-creates-another-impossible-cross/
PXL_20210416_190331889.jpg

I'm also adding a few captive-bred gold flake angelfish, a very limited number of captive-bred purple masked angelfish, and a single captive-bred lemon peel to the site! The gold flakes are all a perfect size to add to a reef right now at around 2"+.

I also received a brand new species for us in a single captive-bred bicolor angelfish. This is one of the cutest baby angelfish I've every seen check her out with all the goldflakes! PM me about the bicolor angelfish if you're interested.
PXL_20210416_190318924 (1).jpg

Also for the first time ever we have Captive-bred Marine Bettas on the site. We've been holding these guys at the facility for a little bit and they've been great and incredibly fun to watch. Make sure you have some shaded areas in the tank so they can get comfortable and hide from the direct lighting.
marine betta S.jpg

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried captive bred angels, and from my experience it works when they are juveniles.

At some point during their transformation to adult, something clicks and that’s it. They can then do more damage to.

The species of angels and the coral you keep depends on if it will work or not. It can be done, just do the homework on that specific species and the types of coral they’ll go after. Usually meaty LPS, zoas will be snacks. Acros can be safe, euphyllia. But every angels species then the individual are different.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these all reefsafe?
Also curious if they are reef safe. Beautiful fish!
The parents of the new hybrid are both pretty reef safe but with all angels the most important thing is keeping them fed because they naturally graze on sponges and algae in the wild they might pick at something they end up liking if left to their own volition.

I've always found goldflakes to be one of the most reef safe angels, we have one in our office tank that's a model citizen with softies, LPS, SPS, and clams.

Marine Bettas are reef safe but they can gulp up small shrimp when they get bigger

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried captive bred angels, and from my experience it works when they are juveniles.

At some point during their transformation to adult, something clicks and that’s it. They can then do more damage to.

The species of angels and the coral you keep depends on if it will work or not. It can be done, just do the homework on that specific species and the types of coral they’ll go after. Usually meaty LPS, zoas will be snacks. Acros can be safe, euphyllia. But every angels species then the individual are different.
It fully depends on the individual, the tank, and the species. Over the years we've put in 3 different coral beauties into our 300 and 2 of the 3 nipped at our clams. This last one has been going strong for a while with no bad behavior

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Established system with rocks full of grazing options helps vs newer systems especially with bare dry rock

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marine bettas will eat small shrimp like Sexy Shrimp and Anemone Shrimp venturing out of their protective anemone, and the like. In my experience they will generally not eat cleaner shrimp like Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or Fire Shrimp. Peppermint Shrimp are cleaner shrimp as well, but I would be a bit more careful with them.
All Stenopus species are safe with them as well and often hang out with the Marine Betta male in his cave.
Crabs are also perfectly safe unless they are super tiny.
I actually have a very feisty Fire Shrimp that sits right at the cave entrance of my largest Marine Betta male and she often tries to steal his food and he doesn't seem to mind it much.

Also, these Marine Bettas are still tiny and by no means capable of eating anything larger than a Mysis shrimp. If you raise them in a tank with larger shrimps they may see them more like buddies than food, especially if you feed enough.

Marine Bettas can be picky eaters who like variety and not the same every day, but once they know you, and have learned that you bring the food, they will come out to the front and wait for food when they see you. And they learn from other fish what is food. Most of my wild adults even take flakes.

BTW, Marine Bettas grow relatively slow and can get quite old. I had one male I raised from egg to large spawning adult and he was 13 years old when a stuck heater killed him. I estimate that they get at least 20 years old, possibly older.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when are the juv red sea regals going to be available?
I wouldn't hold my breath for captive bred Red Sea Regals.
Maldives are just as nice, but my pair is still too young to spawn. And even if they start spawning one day, raising the larvae is a challenge in itself.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
any trimma tevegae/caudomaculatum/hollemani

and

trimma maiandros

popping up from your collectors?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back