Brand new Inkbird 306A temperature will not update!

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling frustrated, I had the 306T and I upgraded to the 306A because I wanted the wireless features. I plugged the 306A into at my kitchen counter to ensure it worked. I downloaded the app and it connected SUPER easy, I was very impressed. So I snipped all the zip ties on my old one, removed it, ran all the cables for the new one, zip tied them, and mounted the 306A. Well now I find the dang controller won't update the temp!!

The app is working I can remotely power the unit off/on or if I change the calibration and that shows up reflected on the controller. However once it reads the current temp it doesn't update it. i.e. I have the temp range set from 77 F - 78 F, I turn on the 306A and it reads 77.5 so the heater engages. The problem is it stays on 77.5 and never registers once the tank hits 78 so the Inkbird doesn't turn off the heaters. I tested with a separate thermometer and let it run all the way to 79 before manually turned off the Inkbird. The crazy part is, once I flipped off the switch and turned it back on it read 79 but then stayed stuck there with the heaters off. Again I waited until my separate thermometer read 77 degrees, the heaters never came one so I manually flicked off the power to the Inkbird. Then I turned it back on and sure enough it read 77 degrees and the heaters came one. The change in temperature is not being updated unless I turn it off and on each time.

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy and I've used the non-wifi Inkbirds for years, I don't think it's a misconfiguration. I tried using the InkbirdSmart app, then tried the new Inkbird Pro app, I even factory reset the Inkbird 306A, I'm still have the same issue. All I can say is thank god I tested or I may have cooked my tank. :mad:

I found two other threads reporting the same issue:

@Inkbird _Official Do you have any solution?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Inkbird 306a's are a disaster. I have a pair I'm going to toss them because of calibration fluctuations. I contacted Inkbird and got nothing but "lip-service" - they calibrate their gear in oil not water and told me I don't know how to operate their equipment.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's such a shame! I've owned 3-4 of them previously and I was always really impressed. I thought for sure this generation with wifi was going to be amazing! Maybe that's why @Bulk Reef Supply quietly discontinued selling their controller. I know it was just a rebranded 306A as well.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

So last night I opened up the controller, I reseated any components that weren't soldered down, I checked all the solder points and then put it back together. The good news is it seems to be keeping the temperature in range between 77-78, plus or minus a half a degree according the the random manually tests I did with a separate thermometer. However I'm very skeptical about the reporting. Take a look below, it's an export from the Inkbird app.

Look at the time from 11:45 to 12:00; temp supposedly went from 77.7 to 77. It's highly unlikely that the temp dropped nearly a fully degree in 15 minutes. Then if you check out 12:15 to 14:15 the temp reads exactly 77.1 no fluctuation up or down a fraction of a degree for 2 hours! Again, possible but highly unlikely.

Inkbird Export.png

I'd have to get another probe set up to do a comparison to be certain, but common sense says these readings aren't accurate. As much as I want all the bells and whistles from the app, I don't think I can trust this temp controller.

INKBIRD_official

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Feeling frustrated, I had the 306T and I upgraded to the 306A because I wanted the wireless features. I plugged the 306A into at my kitchen counter to ensure it worked. I downloaded the app and it connected SUPER easy, I was very impressed. So I snipped all the zip ties on my old one, removed it, ran all the cables for the new one, zip tied them, and mounted the 306A. Well now I find the dang controller won't update the temp!!

The app is working I can remotely power the unit off/on or if I change the calibration and that shows up reflected on the controller. However once it reads the current temp it doesn't update it. i.e. I have the temp range set from 77 F - 78 F, I turn on the 306A and it reads 77.5 so the heater engages. The problem is it stays on 77.5 and never registers once the tank hits 78 so the Inkbird doesn't turn off the heaters. I tested with a separate thermometer and let it run all the way to 79 before manually turned off the Inkbird. The crazy part is, once I flipped off the switch and turned it back on it read 79 but then stayed stuck there with the heaters off. Again I waited until my separate thermometer read 77 degrees, the heaters never came one so I manually flicked off the power to the Inkbird. Then I turned it back on and sure enough it read 77 degrees and the heaters came one. The change in temperature is not being updated unless I turn it off and on each time.

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy and I've used the non-wifi Inkbirds for years, I don't think it's a misconfiguration. I tried using the InkbirdSmart app, then tried the new Inkbird Pro app, I even factory reset the Inkbird 306A, I'm still have the same issue. All I can say is thank god I tested or I may have cooked my tank. :mad:

I found two other threads reporting the same issue:

@Inkbird _Official Do you have any solution?
Most of our customers recommend ‘Probes together in high flow before the heaters (not close to them). You want the flow to hit the probes before the heater.’ ‘In a display then in good flow away from the heater, you don't want the flow carrying water from the heater over the probe. In a sump also in good flow but before the heater. The flow should carry heated water around the tank before it gets to the probe.’

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

So last night I opened up the controller, I reseated any components that weren't soldered down, I checked all the solder points and then put it back together. The good news is it seems to be keeping the temperature in range between 77-78, plus or minus a half a degree according the the random manually tests I did with a separate thermometer. However I'm very skeptical about the reporting. Take a look below, it's an export from the Inkbird app.

Look at the time from 11:45 to 12:00; temp supposedly went from 77.7 to 77. It's highly unlikely that the temp dropped nearly a fully degree in 15 minutes. Then if you check out 12:15 to 14:15 the temp reads exactly 77.1 no fluctuation up or down a fraction of a degree for 2 hours! Again, possible but highly unlikely.

Inkbird Export.png

I'd have to get another probe set up to do a comparison to be certain, but common sense says these readings aren't accurate. As much as I want all the bells and whistles from the app, I don't think I can trust this temp controller.
How did you make that temperature chart? I seem to only be able to make a graph with the app.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bluerider098 Theres a couple different versions of the mobile app. You want “InkBird Pro”. Then when you’re looking at the temp graph press the share button in the upper right hand corner, and select “Export as .csv”.

01C5814C-C40B-4010-9965-E9A33CA2C478.jpeg

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my workaround for the wild temp swings on the 306A was to change the range to a .5 increment. I set the range from 77.5 to 78 so far with that setting I haven’t seen it dip below 77.

Additionally often what’s displayed on the InkBird doesn’t match the actual temp. That’s a bit crappy but I don’t hear InkBird acknowledging it or offering to help.

In the end I was able to get it to keep the temp in range of what I was after, that in combination with the dual replaceable probes and the ability to turn it off/on remotely means I am keeping it installed. However I wouldn’t recommend it to a friend, and it has dropped my opinion of InkBird as a company.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had really good results with my 306A. Mine is set to turn on @78.0 and off @78.5, and it’s been doing that fairly reliably. I have my temperature probes after the heaters, though - because in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter.

In my rear (pre-return pump) chamber I also run my skimmer, reactor and UV. So in addition to those 3 pumps constantly circulating the water in that chamber the main return pump is pulling in excess of 600Gph through my sump.

I have a backup temperature probe in the chamber prior to this, and the temperature difference is typically within 0.5-1.0 of what the Inkbird is reading. According to the Inkbird, it’s never heating beyond 78.6-78.7.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back