Brand New Osmolator Nano 3152 won't turn on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my brand new Osmolator nano 3152 finally, its been sitting in its box for months waiting for my build to finish. So, got it all set up and plugged in....nothing...dead...nada. No matter what I have done the pump wont turn on when plugged in. I have the regular Tunze Osmolator on my big tank so I am very familiar with the system. I am guessing a bad pump???? How do I go about figuring this out. The things I have tried, adding cardboard between magnets, removing terminals and re doing them to make sure connection was good, getting all air bubbles out of pump. I can't really "prime" the pump as its not even turning on when plugged in. Maybe its a bad sensor?? I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Mindi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first thing I would do is see if 12V is being presented across the wires going to the pump. If you don't have a multimeter or an auto test light then get an auto globe and touch the wires on it to see if you are actually asking the pump to start....or come at it from the other direction and try a different pump..? does it have the same clamp connectors that the 5017 osmolator uses..?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple but not 100% conclusive test is to first try touching the pump wires to a 9V battery, if the pump doesn't work we know we have a bad pump, if it works, we don't really have an answer as it could work but be drawing more current than the controller will allow. The next test is to touch the pump wires to the power supply output, one to the outer shell, one to the hole in the middle, if it works, we know the power supply is good. If both check out, this points to a controller problem as the most probable, I would try with the magnet holder totally out of the equation just manually cycling the float switch as the magnets can pin the float if misaligned or on very thin glass (under 3/16"). Can you email me your receipt, email is on the cover of the warranty manual.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko, I touched the pump wires to a new 9V battery, nothing. I am on the search for the receipt.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't received it, Tunze at sbcglobal dot net. I can get a pump out tomorrow and you should have it by Monday.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko , so, new development. I decided to try a different 9V to just verify and the pump cycled on. Went on to test the original 9V and both in that package are dead...weird as weird can be. Anyways, I am a little confused on the second action I should try, I'm not sure what the the power supply output is??

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The round nickel plated tip from the power supply that plugs into the controller, the hole in the middle is + the outer shell is negative, it is 12V DC, since we know the pump likely works, this will confirm the power supply works.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, power supply works great, it pumped water into my sump as I held it there. So it sounds like a controller problem. I tried the pump on the power output thingy three ways, without any magnet, with one magnet, then with two magnets with the sump glass in between. The pump worked every time. It turns out I sent the receipt to tunze.com....oops, I'll send it to you again to the right addy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back