Brand new reefer here with lots of questions!

coalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I am finally living my dream of getting a reef tank and I'm hoping to get it set up when I move in the next month. I've been doing crazy amounts of research and trying to absorb everything I can, watching the BRS 52 weeks and their 5 minute guides. I picked up a 40 breeder at Petco on sale and a stand at my LFS along with a glass hinged lid. Since then I've hit a wall of information overload, trying to figure out what filtration and lights are right for me.

I'm thinking of going with a canister filter, but I can't decide between a Fluval 407, FX4 or FX6, or an Oase Biomaster, either 600 or 800. In the five minutes before deciding to make this post I was also considering going with a pre-made or DIY sump, however that would mean drilling and plumbing my tank and would add even more to the setup.

For lights my LFS recommended the Fluval 3.0 marine led, but I've also looked into AI Primes, though that would be double the cost of the Fluval lights. I have lots of options and everything I find contradicts something else :/

Of course this is only the beginning, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of corals and fish I can get for my tank as well. My LFS said I would be limited to four or five fish with my size, but I was wondering if upping the filtration or going with a sump would allow me to add a few more along with some corals.

If anyone has any advice on this or if these questions would be better suited for the new-to-salt forum please let me know! Regardless, I am very excited to finally join the reefing community!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Some of those selections may limit your reefing (or make it more challenging) so I may be helpful to understand what your short and medium term goals are and what you are hoping to be able to keep. Whatever you decide, we're glad you're here!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I am finally living my dream of getting a reef tank and I'm hoping to get it set up when I move in the next month. I've been doing crazy amounts of research and trying to absorb everything I can, watching the BRS 52 weeks and their 5 minute guides. I picked up a 40 breeder at Petco on sale and a stand at my LFS along with a glass hinged lid. Since then I've hit a wall of information overload, trying to figure out what filtration and lights are right for me.

I'm thinking of going with a canister filter, but I can't decide between a Fluval 407, FX4 or FX6, or an Oase Biomaster, either 600 or 800. In the five minutes before deciding to make this post I was also considering going with a pre-made or DIY sump, however that would mean drilling and plumbing my tank and would add even more to the setup.

For lights my LFS recommended the Fluval 3.0 marine led, but I've also looked into AI Primes, though that would be double the cost of the Fluval lights. I have lots of options and everything I find contradicts something else :/

Of course this is only the beginning, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of corals and fish I can get for my tank as well. My LFS said I would be limited to four or five fish with my size, but I was wondering if upping the filtration or going with a sump would allow me to add a few more along with some corals.

If anyone has any advice on this or if these questions would be better suited for the new-to-salt forum please let me know! Regardless, I am very excited to finally join the reefing community!
Welcome!

Glad you joined

OP
OP
coalman

coalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Some of those selections may limit your reefing (or make it more challenging) so I may be helpful to understand what your short and medium term goals are and what you are hoping to be able to keep. Whatever you decide, we're glad you're here!
Thanks for the welcome! My goals for the tank are really for it to be stable in a 40 breeder and not need upgrading, as I am not sure if I will be able to do that for at least a few years. Ease of maintenance is a plus also. I know I want a couple clowns, but other than that I just have a list of fish my girlfriend and I like including a yellow goby, royal gramma, and bangai cardinals, though I'm not sure on how many of each or if they even work together. Most of my research time has been spent on the actual equipment. As far as corals go I like LPS, and definitely want hammer, zoas, and duncan. Eventually I'd like to get an anemone if possible as well.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R! You've come to the right place for good insight and useful information.
For us to help, it would be good to know what you are looking to achieve and what your plans are for the tank.
Oh, and what your budget is... that will play heavily into some of the selections.
We're glad you're here!

OP
OP
coalman

coalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You've come to the right place for good insight and useful information.
For us to help, it would be good to know what you are looking to achieve and what your plans are for the tank.
Oh, and what your budget is... that will play heavily into some of the selections.
We're glad you're here!
I mentioned some of my plans above, mostly that it is stable in a 40b and nothing will outgrow it. Stocking I'd like a couple clowns but am open to suggestions on the rest, and LPS corals. My budget is roughly $1500 but I can add a bit more if necessary and most likely will as time goes on. Thanks for the reply!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Canisters can be challenging as they are mainly a form of mechanic with a Little biological filtration lacking chemical and best use handling with frequent cleanings (3X per month) as they can generate nitrate and ammonia imbalances)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

OP
OP
coalman

coalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canisters can be challenging as they are mainly a form of mechanic with a Little biological filtration lacking chemical and best use handling with frequent cleanings (3X per month) as they can generate nitrate and ammonia imbalances)
Yeah that's what I've heard, though besides a sump which I'm wary of, I'm leaning towards a canister because I need to make sure my tank is cat-proof and I could keep the filter in the stand cabinet. I'd like to do either 10% water changes weekly or 20% every two weeks and clean the filter when I do those, would that be enough to keep ammonia down?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back