Brand new tank cycle

Hyjnks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have a brand new 100g waterbox with ‘dry live rock’ and sand going for about 4 days with bacterica added … see a lot of videos and suggestions around a 4 month cycle with no lights…..obv wouldn’t want to wait that long if I don’t have to - thoughts? I mean I’d love to add lights and cleanup crew for at least the first month if possible…

5D5600DF-BD26-4A87-9539-4EC605E1B856.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottled bacteria these days is near instant cycle. What product are you using?

A tank will cycle with just an ammonia source and no supplemental bacteria in about 4 weeks.

It is wise to let your tank mature for several months before attempting coral. With no coral for those first handful of months, light isn't necessary and is sometimes avoided to minimize any nuisance algae associated with new, cycling tanks. This isn't really about cycling, it's about maturing/stabilizing over time.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have a brand new 100g waterbox with ‘dry live rock’ and sand going for about 4 days with bacterica added … see a lot of videos and suggestions around a 4 month cycle with no lights…..obv wouldn’t want to wait that long if I don’t have to - thoughts? I mean I’d love to add lights and cleanup crew for at least the first month if possible…

5D5600DF-BD26-4A87-9539-4EC605E1B856.jpeg
1. Four months is very long, plenty of ways to make it faster, you are absolutely right.
2. Adding bacteria is indeed the way to make it faster, definitely should not take four weeks if you dose bacteria. Though recently some products are reported to not work very well compared to others. What brand did you use?
3. No lights is a myth. Lights won't really affect the cycle. May grow algae, but that's a different story entirely.
4. Your 'dry live rock' looks like 'Life Rock', an actual brand of rock from CaribSea. It is dry rock, but coated with microbes and painted purple, or something of the sorts. But yeah, treat it as dry rock, because as far as people could tell so far, it behaves like dry rock.

OP
OP
Hyjnks

Hyjnks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Four months is very long, plenty of ways to make it faster, you are absolutely right.
2. Adding bacteria is indeed the way to make it faster, definitely should not take four weeks if you dose bacteria. Though recently some products are reported to not work very well compared to others. What brand did you use?
3. No lights is a myth. Lights won't really affect the cycle. May grow algae, but that's a different story entirely.
4. Your 'dry live rock' looks like 'Life Rock', an actual brand of rock from CaribSea. It is dry rock, but coated with microbes and painted purple, or something of the sorts. But yeah, treat it as dry rock, because as far as people could tell so far, it behaves like dry rock.
Thanks appreciate the input

OP
OP
Hyjnks

Hyjnks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottled bacteria these days is near instant cycle. What product are you using?

A tank will cycle with just an ammonia source and no supplemental bacteria in about 4 weeks.

It is wise to let your tank mature for several months before attempting coral. With no coral for those first handful of months, light isn't necessary and is sometimes avoided to minimize any nuisance algae associated with new, cycling tanks. This isn't really about cycling, it's about maturing/stabilizing over time.
I have a local store near me that gave me “Seed” from aquavitro and then 2 days later I added bio spira from instant ocean

agreed - my plan is to introduce a clean up crew then a few fish over time - no corals for months

figure I’ll introduce some algae eating fish in a month

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a local store near me that gave me “Seed” from aquavitro and then 2 days later I added bio spira from instant ocean

agreed - my plan is to introduce a clean up crew then a few fish over time - no corals for months

Depending on the bacteria added you may be ready for fish right now. Dosing to 2ppm ammonia and testing 24 hours later is an easy way to be sure. Lights aren't needed at all until coral are added. Any would be for your own viewing pleasure. Yes this can promote algae growth. However algae and the ugly phase are unavoidable.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bio-Spira is one of the bottled bac products that works super fast. So yeah, I agree with @Jekyl, test your cycle and see where it is at. I also agree with Jekyl on everything else too.

OP
OP
Hyjnks

Hyjnks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the bacteria added you may be ready for fish right now. Dosing to 2ppm ammonia and testing 24 hours later is an easy way to be sure. Lights aren't needed at all until coral are added. Any would be for your own viewing pleasure. Yes this can promote algae growth. However algae and the ugly phase are unavoidable.
That seems to be the opinion I’m finding out is sound - thanks

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo lights won't really hurt your cycle but it'll sure make your tank ugly before it's ready for a clean up crew/algae eating fish to keep things in check. No real benefits other than being able to look at your lit tank. Like others said, dose ammonia and bottled bacteria, grab a nitrate test kit, and once you're getting detectable levels you can probably start adding fish/easy corals.

Like others have said, your tank will be cycled earlier than 4 months but its definitely still maturing so test often and expect random bouts of nuisance algae/dinos/cyano as the microbiome composition stabilizes

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back