Brand new tank scratched

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brand new water box peninsula I was cleaning the glass with a brand new flipper max and it put a huge scratch across the front of the glass.... I’m almost in tears idk what to do is there a way to fix this?

9EEEDCEF-CAAE-49F6-AF53-19842A8A1645.jpeg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brand new water box peninsula I was cleaning the glass with a brand new flipper max and it put a huge scratch across the front of the glass.... I’m almost in tears idk what to do is there a way to fix this?

9EEEDCEF-CAAE-49F6-AF53-19842A8A1645.jpeg
I don’t see it. As long as the scratch isn’t deep enough for your finger nail to get caught, you should be able to buff it out.

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my nail gets caught not a lot but it definitely gets caught it’s about 16 inches long and then circles back can it be buffed out under water with pneumatic tools?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am super desperate.... this tank was a lot of money and my wife is going to be so upset :( I feel like an idiot I don’t know how this even happened using a magnet cleaner fresh out of the box never touched the sand only got halfway down the glass pane ....

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am super desperate.... this tank was a lot of money and my wife is going to be so upset :( I feel like an idiot I don’t know how this even happened using a magnet cleaner fresh out of the box never touched the sand only got halfway down the glass pane ....

Is the tank glass or acrylic?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a glass tank if it's the same one I was looking at. I do not think that is repairable without replacing the pane of glass, imho.

I have several in the front glass of my 40 breeder. I have quit using magnetic cleaners because of this. Only once in a while will i use one. My go to is a magic eraser, my finger or an old credit card.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've heard of the Flipper Max doing that to glass and acrylic. Maybe next time leave the scraper out of the tank unless you're cleaning because debris can be caught in-between the magnet and scratch the glass. Also maybe don't use these magnet scrapers anymore like MTBake said. I can't see the scratch anyhow

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re up the creek. I recently scratched my Red Sea.. I can feel your pain but like you.. Also I’m up the creek.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not fixable at least not by any reasonable means. I have tried getting scratches out of glass before.

If you keep the glass really clean maybe it won't be that noticeable. Sucks it happened when the tank was brand new, but eventually it was going to happen. I have lots of scratches on my tank. I still enjoy it and keeping the glass cleans minimizes them standing out.

Don't beat yourself up about it. It sucks but happens to a lot of people. When I got my custom 90g tank I chipped the top at the eurobrace and I was upset. That was 2008 and I'm still using that tank. My scratched up main display is even older.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not fixable at least not by any reasonable means. I have tried getting scratches out of glass before.

If you keep the glass really clean maybe it won't be that noticeable. Sucks it happened when the tank was brand new, but eventually it was going to happen. I have lots of scratches on my tank. I still enjoy it and keeping the glass cleans minimizes them standing out.

Don't beat yourself up about it. It sucks but happens to a lot of people. When I got my custom 90g tank I chipped the top at the eurobrace and I was upset. That was 2008 and I'm still using that tank. My scratched up main display is even older.

Yea I had a 13.5 fluval evo and didn't even notice my magnet was scratching the glass until 1 month later ;Facepalm It had like 20 well sized scratches so don't be too upset about it

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I destroyed the whole front panel of my tank with a magnetic cleaner. At first my ocd was off the charts and I literally started loosing my mind. I learned to just look at the corals over time. Now I use a mag float for an acrylic tank because it is much softer. You probably won’t be able to fix a scratch that big. Sorry.... I feel your pain brother!

Last edited by a moderator:

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a slim chance it might be adhesive residue from the felt pad on the dry side of the cleaner that may have gotten 'caught' on little white wet-side nub.

I separated the two halves of my flipper by twisting them once and, without realizing it, had caused one of the wet-side nubs to lift the edge of the dry side felt a little bit. When I proceeded to clean my glass, the tiny bit of exposed felt adhesive left a long, stubborn streak on my glass.

Try scratching it off with your fingernail. If it comes off, or feels raised it might be that adhesive. If not, then yah, likely a scratch and, unfortunately, you'll just have to live with it.

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a scratch trust me I tried haha
And yeah I was just freaking out and got all depressed but then all my fish came to that side of the tank and just hung out with me stopped begging for food and just acted like fish but right in front of me and it got my mind off of it
Also my clowns are cleaning a nesting site they have never done this b4 so that’s exciting only it’s dead center of the scratch so it’s it’s kinda a reminder of the scratch lol
I think I’ll make it through this with the help of my fish lol

Cooper5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate for sure, nothing you can do. It will move from the front of your mind over time. Had the same thing happen with the flipper max using the scraper side. Few battle scars to show before I realized it. Now I only use the soft side and take it out to wash after every use. If I’m going to scrape I use a credit card

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ll be doing the same with my flipper
I love in Texas I used to love in Orange County socal and I knew of ppl who fixed this stuff but I can’t find any one here that knows what I’m talking about lol

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I too have a Waterbox. I took the scraper piece off my Algae Free magnetic cleaner right when I got it. I've been using it for 4 months and havent had an issue with scratches...it's by far the best magnetic cleaner I've used to date.

I feel your pain because this would drive me crazy, especially with it being new.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back