OP
R

reptilemedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going crazy-.- my ph keeps dropping and changing first it's 8.1 then it's 7.9 oh and it went down to 7.8 tonight I'm losing my mind with the PH currently in this tank. On a brighter news live rock came in!
IMG_0764.JPG

MicroPico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. A good idea is to set your rock on the bottom of your tank as opposed to on top of the sand. There are some fish and cuc (clean-up crew) critters that dig in the sand and can topple the rocks. Make sure rockwork is wedged or glued tightly together because some fish and crabs can knock over precariously placed rocks. Tank looks good so far.

OP
OP
R

reptilemedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So anyone have any recommendations that I should upgrade in the mean time as I cycle the tank. Currently have a OCTO HOB classic 100 Skimmer. APEX controller, have 2 power heads at each end of the tank, 2 200w heaters in the corner(being controlled by apex)..... and yes.... I'm an idiot with a marineland canister filter 360 running....and before you all start I can only fit a 10gal tank in the stand not much room... but have been debating the idea of setting up a sum next to the tank if need be.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be fine because other than the rock, you have no fish or corals or anything. a water change will be good, but just give it time. everyone seems to always be in a rush to get this done. enjoy the process, even though it can be slow.

OP
OP
R

reptilemedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be fine because other than the rock, you have no fish or corals or anything. a water change will be good, but just give it time. everyone seems to always be in a rush to get this done. enjoy the process, even though it can be slow.

Oh I'm in no rush at all I figured it was gonna be a slow process. I keep adding stuff to the tank set up. This week it was an LED strip light from marine depot and an APEX unit. Next week I'm debating on getting rid of the canister filter and going to make a 10gal sump filter with refegerium

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm in no rush at all I figured it was gonna be a slow process. I keep adding stuff to the tank set up. This week it was an LED strip light from marine depot and an APEX unit. Next week I'm debating on getting rid of the canister filter and going to make a 10gal sump filter with refegerium

nice. can't wait to see what you come up with for your sump. are you using a 10g tank and making baffles or buying one that is already setup?

OP
OP
R

reptilemedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice. can't wait to see what you come up with for your sump. are you using a 10g tank and making baffles or buying one that is already setup?

So far I have an old 10gal tank to use. Problem I'm having is the stand doesn't really allow anything bigger then two 10gal tanks on each side. I'm space is limited: I don't mind however doing a larger sump next to the stand or across the room from the tank(where the empty 40g reptile tank sits).

Image1487037857.615638.jpg
Image1487037907.412318.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few folks who have created "display refugia" alongside the tank, where algae can remove nitrates and nurture 'pods - and create a fascinating "second" habitat. Something like that would allow you to go pretty "bare-bones" with your sump.

~Bruce

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe you could drill holes and run a second smaller pump to move water from one 10g to the other?

OP
OP
R

reptilemedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few folks who have created "display refugia" alongside the tank, where algae can remove nitrates and nurture 'pods - and create a fascinating "second" habitat. Something like that would allow you to go pretty "bare-bones" with your sump.

~Bruce

So really would it be easier to just have water from the main tank flow in to the 10gal in to a filter sock and do a majority of the 10gal as a refugia and then flow water back in to the main tank. Or would this be a totally separate tank all together. I'm fine with having the protein skimmer and heaters in the main tank so I don't have much need to hide equipment currently.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers and such also take up a fair amount of real estate if they're mounted in-tank - and I know that mine will blow a ton of microbubbles into the water if it gets any fish food in it. (It _always_ gets fish food in it . . . )

You do want to make sure that whatever algae you're growing in your refugium stays out of your return pump, so a baffle between 'fuge and return is a good idea. You'll be surprised how small a ten-gallon gets, and how fast it gets there. (I was surprised at how fast space got used up in a 40-Breeder, leaving me with no 'fuge at all! I'll probably be able to grow a bit of Chaetomorpha in a pond basket, but that's about it.)

What I was thinking of was using your in-stand ten gallon as an equipment sump; socks, skimmer, heater, return - and running a separate tank alongside your main display as a refugium. Grow some varied and attractive algaes in it, such as dragon's breath. Aquascape it attractively. Add a few tiny creatures, such as Rainford's or Hector's gobies, maybe a blackray or flaming prawn shrimpgoby with a pistol shrimp partner. You've got as much space as you'd like to make room for, and can create a second habitat just as fascinating as the reef.

~Bruce

OP
OP
R

reptilemedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I could use the 40gal reptile tank I have....hmmm I mean I need to clean it out either way and see about cracks but there no plans on putting anything in it. If anything I could run PVC pipe across the wall to the other side of the room and use that as a sump/refugium or just a refugium

OP
OP
R

reptilemedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that might be do able. Gosh darn it I know what I'm doing tomorrow! Time to inspect that tank

MicroPico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your tank purchased as a 'reptile tank' specifically labeled as such or an 'aquarium' you just used for reptiles? Tanks sold specifically for reptiles have glass that is too thin to support the pressures and weight of holding water. They are not designed to hold water. They are just for land creatures.

Back