Brand New to Saltwater with a 10 gallon tank. Please be NICE! lol

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Seachem Stability. Whatever you pick, pick one and use only that one, as I have read that the different strains of bacteria can compete with each other.
This happens in nature. I think the more bacteria you have is probably better. I would want the strongest bacteria in my tank. But to each their own. I think stability is great for waterchanges.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i upgrade now would it be helpful to the tank or only when i start adding coral?
You don't need a light at all until coral are in the tank. If wanting to stay cheap the nicrew 100w would do it. If you want to be able to do SPS eventually then a black box is the next option for price.

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this! :) I would look into Dr. Tim's beneficial bacteria on Amazon! You need some kind of beneficial bacteria to help break down all the waste that your clownfish will produce. If you don't have any bacteria, their waste (ammonia) will just sky rocket and kill everything. Even if you have a filter on the tank.

Bulk Reef Supply has an awesome playlist that goes step by step of setting up a saltwater tank! :)
for the Dr tims should i use the one for reef tanks or just the saltwater one? or does it not matter right now?

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the Dr tims should i use the one for reef tanks or just the saltwater one? or does it not matter right now?
31256F36-EBB4-46A6-9024-1C7F21D99A85.jpeg
This is what I use. I started off the tank with a bottle of this stuff when it was just rock and sand. Waited a couple of weeks, had some parameter changes, and when everything calmed down... added my first fish.

I use this stuff whenever I do a water change, when I change my media, and when I added my second fish! :)

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use. I started off the tank with a bottle of this stuff when it was just rock and sand. Waited a couple of weeks, had some parameter changes, and when everything calmed down... added my first fish.

I use this stuff whenever I do a water change, when I change my media, and when I added my second fish! :)
This bottle is more up your alley and cheaper for sure. I second this post!

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks so much for the help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to a whole new world. While budget system exist and many work, accept that you will be limited as to specimens you can have within the tank. Get Good- not economy test kits as you will monitor water quality regularly and you dont want false readings that will place your system at risk

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to a whole new world. While budget system exist and many work, accept that you will be limited as to specimens you can have within the tank. Get Good- not economy test kits as you will monitor water quality regularly and you dont want false readings that will place your system at risk
i bought a API master test kit if thats what you mean?

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I wont be trying to add an anemone for a long time! Im wondering if my powerhead might be too powerful? what gph should i shoot for in my 10 gallon? the one i have is 425 but most videos ive seen they have two powerheads in there so im wondering if i need a second one?
Always turn off powerhead when getting an anemone until it attaches and you can watch it for the day with it on. Turn it off when you go to bed until it stays in the same spot for awhile. I've had 2 anemones sucked into filter intake and powerhead. 1 lived, 1 did not. The reason people will put 2 powerheads is so there is not dead space where detritus (old food/decay) can build. When placing a powerhead you want to put it where you see the water in your tank make a complete circle. Like if you drop a ping pong ball on top and your powerhead is in the right place, the ball will do a lap around the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i bought a API master test kit if thats what you mean?
Very unreliable especially the critical ammonia and nitrate readings which have let down many reefers hence the low price of $21 for a master kit. I trust a politician more than I do API kits.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back