Brand spankin' new to reef tanks.

Corspiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for awhile and decided to take the plunge into buying a reef tank about 3 days ago. My current setup:

75 gallon tank.
2 Arctic T247 lights.
4k IceCap Hydro Wave maker (or whatever you call it.)
Protein skimmer.
Heater.

I also have a 4 stage RODI water maker.

I've gotten the tank filled with 75 gallons of RODI water, let it warm up to about 73 degrees (heater is set between 75-79) and I've started salting it. I added salt to the aquarium this morning before school. I read the suggested amount of salt is .5 cups to a gallon so I've added 37.5 cups of salt to the aquarium. When I test the salinity I am getting about 1.017~ so I've added another half cup, however I'm unsure at what amount I should add salt to make a measurable difference. I use a refractometer to measure the salinity. It's worth noting I haven't added any live sand or rock yet, I assume (and have read) that I should do this once I have the salinity right. I'm in no rush to add fish or anything. I want to do this right. Should I just keep adding salt by the half cup and measuring every half hour or so to get to the levels needed? If I'm doing anything wrong thus far, please do not be shy. I'm roughly $2,300 invested thus far. Failure is not an option. :D

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R! With no live rock, sand, or other livestock you should be able to keep adding salt to get to 1.025 (or whatever you choose) without worrying about making small changes. If you go over then you can always adjust down with RODI water. Good luck on your new adventure!

OP
OP
Corspiracy

Corspiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R! With no live rock, sand, or other livestock you should be able to keep adding salt to get to 1.025 (or whatever you choose) without worrying about making small changes. If you go over then you can always adjust down with RODI water. Good luck on your new adventure!

I thought this was the common sense option but then again I didn't want to assume! Thanks so much for the reply!
Do you have a sump under the stand if not get one

I do not have a sump under the stand, I've read that you don't absolutely need one. However, when I get a grip on the hobby I'm not against upgrading.
I agree with @Peace River, just keep adding salt until it reads right.

Have you calibrated your refractometer, by the way?

I calibrated the refractometer to the RODI water I used. What i did was took a glass of water straight from the maker and calibrated it to that. Again - a common sense thing (so I thought). If this was wrong, let me know. Is there some sorty of "gauge water" I should be using?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was the common sense option but then again I didn't want to assume! Thanks so much for the reply!

I do not have a sump under the stand, I've read that you don't absolutely need one. However, when I get a grip on the hobby I'm not against upgrading.

I calibrated the refractometer to the RODI water I used. What i did was took a glass of water straight from the maker and calibrated it to that. Again - a common sense thing (so I thought). If this was wrong, let me know. Is there some sorty of "gauge water" I should be using?
You need to calibrate the refractometer with calibration solution at 1.0265, not with rodi water

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats on your purchase and welcome to the hobby!. I find it a very interesting and rewarding hobby, hope you enjoy, good luck!

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to calibrate the refractometer with calibration solution at 1.0265, not with rodi water
Bingo! Thanks for telling him how the right way to do is. I am still astonished at how many “experienced” guys calibrate refractometer with RODI. All
Mine will read BELOW zero with RODI. And if I adjust it to Zero out then verify with calibration fluid and I’m shooting 1.029-.030 every time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back