• Maybe?

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all! I've been wanting to start this thread to document my progress on my new tank and also receive some constructive criticism. I have been wanting to build a larger mixed reef tank for awhile and have now started to put my plans into actions. I currently have a Biocube 14 and just want something larger with more room for corals! I think I have done well with the biocube having it up and running for 2 years. But now I'm learning that I must have more! I've actually been researching, gathering info, and for the last 3 months I've been collecting equipment and building my stand. Just got a late start on posting! Pictures coming soon!

Just in case I never mentioned, my name is Brandon!

Equipment list:

-75G Deep Blue Sea rimless tank

-DIY custom stand (the premaid stands were too short and the doors were not big enough to get my big self in comfortable to work on stuff) So I made my own

--Custom 48" 5 chamber sump from 302 Aquatics with Algae scrubber.
--Custom color matching ATO container
--(2) Ecotech Radion XR30W Pro
--(2) Ecotech RMS tank mounts
--(2) Ecotech VorTech MP10 powerheads
-- Ecotech Vectra M1 return pump
-- Ecotech Battery Backup
-- Ecotech ReefLink (to control all the goods)
-- Kessil H80 Tuna Flora refugium light with gooseneck
-- Bubble Magus Curve 5 protein skimmer
-- UV Sterilizer
-- Neptune systems ATK auto top off
--(2) Eliminator Lighting Power Centers
(To individually cut on/off power to every single electronic) 16 switches total
-- DIY electronics cabinet(in process of building. Will post pics soon)

---Future---

--Planning on Purchasing all my rock, sand, etc from Tampa Bay Saltwater! They have a complete package of rock/sand out of the gulf that they harvest along with my cleanup crew and other random hitchhikers/corals! So excited for this step in the setup!

--Replace the 3 filter socks in the sump for new containers that will allow me to but whatever media, chemipure, etc that I want. I'll use the filter socks while cleaning and doing a water change to catch all the big nasty stuff.

-- planning on eventually installing a 2 part dosing system to fine tune, stabilize tank and make life easier.

I think that's everything. I'm taking notes, making a list and going tomorrow to get all the plumbing, unions, valves, etc that I need to get this system up and running!

Progress !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG
52158350122__FB4501A1-EECE-46BD-A56D-31BA529CA159.JPG
52158350896__69F08A24-A1FD-4DCC-95AC-3B3FDED9DA19.JPG
First off I have a few pics of my stand build. Still a work in progress! I'm currently about to add my third coat of paint. Hoping to have a smooth/glossy finish after a couple more coats!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
For my filtration I had a custom sump built by 302 Aquatics! When I received this sump I was really blown away with how well it was built! They did an amazing job! The sump is 48x16x16. The sump starts off by flowing into the first chamber which houses 3 filter socks, then goes into the 2nd chamber where my Bubble Magus Curve 5 protein slimmer will be. Also in the 2nd chamber I have a small pump that will carry the water into the 302 Aquatics algae scrubber then into the 3rd chamber which will house my live sand and live rock. Then it will flow into my 4th chamber which will be a refugium filled most likely with chaeto. Then the water flows into the last chamber which is where my return pump is. I also had a ATO container made which will house under neath the book shelf next to the stand that will blend right in. I hope I'm heading down the right path with this sump :)

OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have a few more pics as I go. I've still got a ways to go but I'm excited to share it with everyone. Remember I want some constructive critisism and also maybe some advice on where to go from here that may make my life a lot easier in the long run. Ask as many questions as you want and I'll get to answer all of them! I have enjoyed what I have done so far! Can't wait to get some water in this thing!

OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
52191746268__E0A0AFF8-1747-459B-91BC-A26FE64C9807.JPG
52191750184__632819A2-BA02-452E-B0CC-F7B70776FABD.JPG
52191752157__1F893876-1ED8-4A2B-A7BA-F322BC1310BA.JPG
Just finished a 3rd coat of paint yesterday,this morning I water sanded it and just applied a 4th coat of paint. Probably gonna add one more coat tomorrow and be done. Then I get to start adding all the equipment and running pipe!

OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a few days since I updated! I was able to add another 2 coats of paint to the stand for a total of 6 coats and get it put in the house. Just have to finish the doors and the stand is complete.
IMG_1179.JPG

I'm planning on getting everything installed and plumbed in this week! Most all my goodies come in this last week! Just a few more pvc fittings to get at the hardware store!

Here is a better look at the sump from 302 Aquatics!
IMG_1182.JPG

Also a quick question for y'all. What do y'all think about miracle/mineral mud in my refugium? Yay or nay?

Will have more updates this week as I install everything!

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome Niterunner77 , yes I do it's a slow progress build but if you reach for " Embarking the Journey " Reef build by Clayton you should be able to find it , let me know if you can or not , thank you for the support as well.

OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick pic of most of the goodies I got in! I'll upload my complete list tomorrow when I have more time!
IMG_1184.JPG

Decided to go ahead and get the lights installed and fiddle with the reeflink!
IMG_1186.JPG

More pics and updates tomorrow as I get more done! Goodnight to all!

Killer Karma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow awesome setup! You certainly went all out and it looks perfect. As a note I saw you were going to do an algae scrubber and a refugium with chaeto. Unless you are seriously going to overfeed or super stock the tank I'm not sure you will need or be able to run both. The algae scrubber should reduce the nutrients for algae growth to the point were the chaeto and the extra light in your fuge would be unnecessary.

OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow awesome setup! You certainly went all out and it looks perfect. As a note I saw you were going to do an algae scrubber and a refugium with chaeto. Unless you are seriously going to overfeed or super stock the tank I'm not sure you will need or be able to run both. The algae scrubber should reduce the nutrients for algae growth to the point were the chaeto and the extra light in your fuge would be unnecessary.
Thank you very much! For the last few years that I have been doing research I wanted to get equipment that would be well made and last me a very long time! Yes I am planning on the algae scrubber and fuge. Maybe its a little over done but I do plan on heavily stocking the tank eventually and I wanted to make sure I could handle the bio load. Want to make a very efficient use of my space in the stand also. So much that I am planning on running all the electronic controls to a control cabinet hanging on my wall. Thank you for the extra note! I want the opinions of everyone that reads this post to see what they think.

OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress !!!
IMG_1190.JPG

Algae scrubber!
IMG_1192.JPG

Algae scrubber lit up!
IMG_1191.JPG

Skimmer progress!
IMG_1189.JPG

Here's that power center switch I mentioned earlier in my list of equipment. I have two of these. 16 switches total!
IMG_1159.JPG

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back