Brass fittings☠️

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m new to this whole forum thing so don’t grill me for punctuation or grammatical errors lol. I started a new tank earlier this year in March. I started by running my recycled dried live rock from my last tank in a brute can the rock was maybe 5 years old. The old tank was taken down due to a hair algae outbreak and I had my first kid around that time. I cooked the live rock till late June. I then put I in my tank and left it running by itself till around the middle of July when I added a clown fish and later a few nassarius snails followed by a Xenia then hammer coral and last a few turbo snails. Everything was fine till one day I started having bad ammonia spikes. Tried fixing that with some prime and stability to no avail while trying to get to the bottom of the ammonia’s issue I found my reef crystals salt was mixing to .5-1.0 ammonia so I switched to fritz rpm I also found another huge problem. I had used a brass check valve and a brass mipXbarb fitting that were starting to corrode. I replaced the fitting and ditched the check valve did several 20 gal water changes on my 36 gal bow front with a wet/dry filter/sump. My turbo snails were growing algae on their shells and always at the top of the water one died my Xenia and hammer retracted and the hammer stayed spiting a long brown fluid out of it where the flesh meets the skeleton. Stayed that way for several days now. But the hammer finally stopped spitting and I started starting to come back out very slowly. The Xenia looked like it was spitting brown stuff but not as much it too is looking better the nassarius snails never seemed to affected the turbos finally wen back onto the rocks and my tank has cleared up immensely no green algae anymore(which was on the tops of all the rocks like a thick green carpet) had a bad diatom bloom(I think I was) my sand bed was turning brown and the glass would get covered with brown I would scrape the glass daily. Sand bed is nice white and bright now. Everything is almost back to 100% I just have some fuzzy clear/opaque algae growing on a few rocks. Should I use something to remove any remaining copper that may still be in the system? I ordered some cuprisorb won’t be in for four days and I live in a tiny town over an hours drive from the nearest lfs and I’m pretty sure things are on the rebound but I would rather be safe than sorry. Sorry for the novel jus tried to lay out the whole scenario so whoever reads this will get the whole picture, well I mean sure there are more details I could add in there but I’m sure I’ve got my point across if not ask me anything to get all the info you need to make and give me an honest and knowledgeable reply. Thanks in advance for any and all responses

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh one other thing I should add is that I’ve also been using a poly pad in the filter for floss holder in my wet/dry. I noticed the color of the pad when I went to clean my wet/dry out (thinking that could be the cause of my ammonia spikes) so I pulled out a fresh pad to exchange them and read the package and wondered why is it showing that it’s pulling out copper? Thats when I looked around and them two fittings started glowing like on a cartoon and the lil lightbulb turned on above my head lol.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several 20G WC's on a 36G tank should have cleared up any copper left in the system. Might still leach from the rocks depending on whether the rocks absorbed any or not(my guess is not since it was just a couple fittings and you did not actually add copper).

Leave the poly pad in there, if the color is still changing to show copper, then run the cuprisorb when it comes in.

I would say though with your inverts being fine, you have removed most of the copper in the system.

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome I jus wanted a second opinion. Don’t want to waste the cuprisorb if there isn’t much copper left in the system. I used the poly pad in the filter holder on my wet/dry to stop any detritus before it can hit the bio balls for the last 3 months. It’s only been showing for dissolves organics since I put a new one in after my last water change. I also switched salts at that point as well. All my nassarius snails are normal soon as I drop food in the tank they pop out from under the sand and 3 of my turbos are off the glass and moving around the rocks one of those 3 never left the rocks one died and there one that stays loosely stuck to the glass but rarely moves. That’s the only thing that worries me, is the way that one is still acting. I guess time will tell my hammer is doing a lot better starting to extend again the Xenia looks better at first light and by the end of the day looks kinda sad well more sad than it does no pulsing and everyone’s closed up. No more brown oozing out of the heads anymore though I know they say they like dirtier tanks so I’m sure all them water changes cleaned up the water more than the Xenia would like too. I added a few pics the blue light pics are today the white light pics were Sunday night Monday morning

D3DED8D4-B542-4D8C-BA6F-FD7B2FA74D3E.jpeg EF12F5E8-DAF4-49A8-BBE8-D64DBD447BB3.jpeg 0A6BF59F-AF14-4FA1-832D-5E7155A65544.jpeg BE576EF5-C1AB-4801-96F4-67C13EFA770A.jpeg

Back