BREAKING NEWS!!! ALL-NEW HYDRA HD & PRIME HD SERIES lineup: Prime 16HD, Hydra 32HD and Hydra 64HD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Prime 16HD, thinking that it has Wifi as well. All the material on the AI website points to having cloud control, and the redirect links to the app says the same. It’s very misleading. I emailed AI support about this, here’s their response:

“Thank you for contacting AquaIllumination. At this time, the new HD series is only controllable via Bluetooth. That said, we will have WiFi/Cloud control available at some time in the future but I do not have a release date at this time.

Thanks for understanding”

reef3reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using AI Prime HD. I am considering the new AI Hydra 32. One thing of concern is the moonlight color. It's said to be warm white which is yellowish. I don't understand why a yellow white is chosen. In my view moonlight for reef should be bluish. No it has nothing to do with eye perception. It is simply that the reef is supposed to be in the water not exposed in the air. So a warm white color makes no sense. A dim blue color should be more appropriate after the water absorption.

For those who are using the new AIs, how do you like the look of the warm white moonlight at night?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are using the new AIs, how do you like the look of the warm white moonlight at night?

I personally like the look of the yellow/white moonlight much better than the blue light looks more natural. I use it for late night viewing for an hr or two after lights out (At 20%).

reef3reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the look of the yellow/white moonlight much better than the blue light looks more natural. I use it for late night viewing for an hr or two after lights out (At 20%).

Thanks for the reply! With the new AI are you able to use other color led beside the built in warm white for moonlight?

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont personally like the warm white, I even tried running 1% on Royal Blue to simulate and it was a tad too strong. Great lights though. Just bought some diffusers from 3D Reefing. They were meant for the 26s but they fit the 32s aswell.
Will post some PAR Levels at max settings with and without the diffusers if some are interested?

reef3reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont personally like the warm white, I even tried running 1% on Royal Blue to simulate and it was a tad too strong. Great lights though. Just bought some diffusers from 3D Reefing. They were meant for the 26s but they fit the 32s aswell.
Will post some PAR Levels at max settings with and without the diffusers if some are interested?

The blue channels are definitely too strong even at the lowest setting for moonlight. I use the single led violet channel at 1%. Ideally a single blue led should be used as moonlight. I am perplexed why they choose a warm white for moonlight. I wonder what research they have done to support that decision.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! With the new AI are you able to use other color led beside the built in warm white for moonlight?

You can use whatever color you want as moon light you just have to set it.

Edit: sorry if you mean for lunar mode I have no clue I haven’t used that yet and don’t really plan to.

The blue channels are definitely too strong even at the lowest setting for moonlight. I use the single led violet channel at 1%. Ideally a single blue led should be used as moonlight. I am perplexed why they choose a warm white for moonlight. I wonder what research they have done to support that decision.

If I’m not mistaken moonlight is has no effect on the inhabitants of our tanks instead it’s all anesthetic and for human use.

sebastianpolen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much cm above the aquarium do you recommend hanging the lamp 2x32 hydra tank 80x60x50h ?

reef3reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluetooth and NO WiFi. What is this, year 1999?

I don’t understand it either. It’s a downgrade from Wifi to bluetooth only. It’s one of the two things that prevented me from jumping into it immediately. The other being the ridiculous yellow moonlight.

I suppose with the remote access feature they might have to maintain a cloud server for it to work. So cost less for them to run

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s honestly probably EcoTech doing with the no WiFi I’ve heard they will release a WiFi dongle just light with radions. Plus the yellow moonlight is more natural what’s not to like?

reef3reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s honestly probably EcoTech doing with the no WiFi I’ve heard they will release a WiFi dongle just light with radions. Plus the yellow moonlight is more natural what’s not to like?
Yellow moonlight is fine for my bedroom but I don’t believe moonlight after penetrating several feet deep under the sea is still yellow. I think a single bluish white low powered led is more appropriate.

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my 3 hydra 64hd over my 180g and I'm impressed with these lights I do not run moon lighting. Wish brs would release the video on par and spectrum.

w00dman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my 3 hydra 64hd over my 180g and I'm impressed with these lights I do not run moon lighting. Wish brs would release the video on par and spectrum.

#AskBRSTV #randyBRS

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#AskBRSTV #randyBRS

I want to see the par on the 64hd

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. I run 3 hydra 64hd about to get 2 more.

Screenshot_20200205-224007_myAI.jpg
IMG_20200122_160607_868.jpg

thebenjibenji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took mine apart (ai prime 16hd) to see why the fan spins up to 100% and there wasn't any thermal pads (yes they can leak oils but thermal paste generally does not) it was just an air gap with the heat sink on top which explains why they get noisy, I added thermal paste and the fan never reaches 100%. Just ai went to the trouble of getting a nice white pcb with an aluminum backing and relying on an air gap to cool the board.
There is also burn/heat marks around the leds but I don't think that's a issue. Another note is not to touch the led /lense area while on it gets toasty @ 130 degrees celsius /266 Fahrenheit +/-

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took mine apart (ai prime 16hd) to see why the fan spins up to 100% and there wasn't any thermal pads (yes they can leak oils but thermal paste generally does not) it was just an air gap with the heat sink on top which explains why they get noisy, I added thermal paste and the fan never reaches 100%. Just ai went to the trouble of getting a nice white pcb with an aluminum backing and relying on an air gap to cool the board.
There is also burn/heat marks around the leds but I don't think that's a issue. Another note is not to touch the led /lense area while on it gets toasty @ 130 degrees celsius /266 Fahrenheit +/-
Do you have any pictures of the inside and what you did to help with thermals?

thebenjibenji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of the inside and what you did to help with thermals?
No I didn't take any photos, but I might take it apart again to see if the thermal paste I added is leaching oil or not, the inside seems to have a bowl shape so it should catch anything leaching out in theory, yeah not the best but I got the right torx drivers to take it apart. I forgot to measure the temps before/after, all I know is that the fan does not spin to 100% or very rarely does. I used corsair TXM50... was on special. It is a bit of a mission to take it apart + put it back together as the fan/power needs to be tucked in a certain way, also you dont wanna crank down on the 4 torx on the plastic lenses.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back