BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well, I wish everyone could get the same results as I have. The treatment has been highly successful in my reef. I did the 3rd dose last night and woke up to a crystal clear, happy tank. The most infected acros are recovering and I cannot find any flatworms from daily basting.

Purge does kill flatworms, but apparently some users are experiencing unsatisfactory results. Maybe further testing will pinpoint why there are discrepancies since every system has different parameters.

I'm also finding dead asterina stars. I don't have a problem with those being in my reef, but I guess I'm killing them nonetheless. :(

Maybe I had an easy-to-kill variety of AEFW. Maybe I used a higher dose than others. (I did!) Or maybe lots of reefers had the same good results as I did but are not willing to come here to admit that they had AEFW.

I hope UWC will continue R&D on this product because it's the closest thing we've had for relief from this scourge without tearing up our reefs.

Ricardo Pinto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Did you left your skimmer running during the 48h post dosing? I left mine working without the collection cup.
I did my 4th dose on Saturday, sadly I'm still finding adult aefw's in the tank (less numbers than previous weeks though)

However, I feel in general corals are looking better. But don't know if it is from purge or if it's because I'm basting the corals every other day.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Did you left your skimmer running during the 48h post dosing? I left mine working without the collection cup.
I did my 4th dose on Saturday, sadly I'm still finding adult aefw's in the tank (less numbers than previous weeks though)

However, I feel in general corals are looking better. But don't know if it is from purge or if it's because I'm basting the corals every other day.

My skimmer has been running without the collection cup for the duration of the treatment. I've been doing large water changes weekly (about 40%) since I haven't been skimming.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Unhappily waiting for this to be back in stock. ;Facepalm

gtsRjicJptL-tstxoLlziu93e4f_aaFa1QtVDSP0uVdkndFF9YmL6JAXFHqrCk0nIPiAg1hn5l9oANRcFV3cXbIDExl7L6_BfZ-E5utMOkVjXRTOfpfM0pG5OVf1ve-3VBY4uMg8EfoxsO1DF-fn2gcRhfd0FDCHxUJkPS2f_pJcgeELc8P4NExkQ2SKc0bFHw17LXJT3tPdDkb7kvWrhFOhLDREYvx9sxVRMgGIHEj32LU2Yex8ygdm7AvbJJKk0bTus671pPnRtTS-hl3wsnxX_MlBnxK38Wfr-rzWSp1IWGacg0s69ZL5UEC8-wjN8qIBgFldb-aPNg4D_nk57lHOFii5VU5STRRtZo4f8gCDa0GRUYmQWfakWGqDE_kXCarKRke2z4ju7hpNXkfyuDeJcTYXT8_Z5z2NjsWI8UH8vi9HcUWUoPVT2po_FZ5OLSLPQxSxXJzqNAhdqACE-MyMl6h95LKaBjUWPUz9GECiAqnhomiNARYxecDhmmE5MAL-aWyDeOmPqO3s-ad0Io7nVaMkB607rSQS4OlZkXcTOIq_tedz0BMwQ5AzMx1DwPDldo3cSFpj9lJjzIEw9zY4r3FTGtYc7OKubezjpSvaXHA29gcMoXDg9lEwc611=w676-h800-no

His buffet table:
TW5dfa9z4M_OaovTdBqjYIotiJBjfYa9WjxBvN8l1GqLZ_A8n-DB_Bq7QU8Jc_qSGu0MR4cyPmpcOQPhhGetWPHnnz8WQXTEYjuikYfDvvTDu2lJ6gP8aVCCguIM6G4GevIVAcmMroW7GXDmAcPWe3MWjRInobs-Z6dEh6adVZpAOwpuSoXEOnju4DjMLrYK1mpJ_0PwkBvAqdTBV8MjVoW0TpUbddLDSiswCVWwCm_IYJWLlHi4m1OjSFnDHvQe3sEDwBwHal11IGQDLTcQjdyuQzit1OE3x-sFrfXgWffRqXPq8RazQa8leERiQzIaiqUom716AF26r48JU1vm4aK7SdzZi4OQTX66p_7_IwJnHpvICbkIqVznid-HMBTV-NQZiLKOYiLb5WjCQZxMwzi_uVxOKwC2k7yQOt3A3loaWMlbJLbznvYI_DT2acwSD3iwW6zXcBJmpXPQGuALH7_qLSFH4zLj_th35O0xkcCGw0cWwsUW1bT8t9ZWTpaJ4sFEZn2y_leZRluOnIlwDO3qyd1N8RTRelDTgQ7aT56EeqMub85dKkk8b95rK8Y5xqciN0at6THoR6VmGjZ8Q8UlyXGZ5FcPru1kVq127g6KnqI5OwR6GEdcYVvN8Vaq=w1600-h1068-no

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well for me it looked like it was doing it’s thing as far as killing aefw after 3rd week . I went up to 5 weeks with it and even took a bottle from my buddy Usctom to give it another 2 weeks . What do you know I still have loads of eggs and still flat worms , purge raised my alk and cal so you have to keep a close look at that , but after 7 week still eggs and worms I give up on purge ! Not satisfied with it at all and lost a few more pieces . I’ll go back to using the bayer , but again I ran with the hype sonits my fault .

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well for me it looked like it was doing it’s thing as far as killing aefw after 3rd week . I went up to 5 weeks with it and even took a bottle from my buddy Usctom to give it another 2 weeks . What do you know I still have loads of eggs and still flat worms , purge raised my alk and cal so you have to keep a close look at that , but after 7 week still eggs and worms I give up on purge ! Not satisfied with it at all and lost a few more pieces . I’ll go back to using the bayer , but again I ran with the hype sonits my fault .

Wu Tang Clam

View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry to here this :(
I found it was definitely helping,but when I was still finding them in the 4 week I started to worry they were not dead either when I was finding them

SGREEFER310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Man im worried, hope it wasnt a waste of money. But this is the 3rd day and ive been basting my sps and have not seen any aefw come off. I do run my gyres at 100% so lots of flow, maybe the flow knocked them off my sps.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So it seems it’s working for some and not others ? Wish people would man up and post their experiences with purge. I noticed most reefers only like to post success and not their failures, speaking to a friend last night about this issue at my LFS he told me at times he hesitates to tell people they have AFEW since he has in the past and instead of accepting or thanking him for the discovery he had a few reefers get offended and never returned to his store delete or stop posting on these sites. We take pride in our tanks and don’t like to accept failure it seems. Hope more people shine in on this product since this can be a game changer

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In following this thread, it seems to me that there has been about a 50/50 ratio of success vs. failure. So far, it's worked for me as advertised. I cannot find a single flatworm in my system. The real test will be when I finish treatment and turn my skimmer back on and do a huge water change. Will they come back?? Theoretically, with no eggs and no adult flatworms to be found, I should be just fine as long as I don't add any new acros for awhile.

UWC has said that they switched bottling companies and even changed the dosage initially so I apparently purchased the product at the right time when strength and dosage was on the money. Thinking back a month when I was losing several acros a week to AEFW, I am ecstatic that I decided to give this product a chance. If I had been told that there was a 50/50 chance of it working, I still would have tried it. I haven't lost anything in using Purge. As I've said before, I hope UWC continues testing Purge to determine why some systems are resistant to the product. It has real potential and I am a fan!!

ejazzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot more people coming out of the woodwork with unsatisfactory results on other platforms than r2r. Maybe those people need to send in some AEFW to uwc to see if there's a difference? Indo will be here with loads of flatworms soon. So it would be nice to get this figured out.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, we are currently trying to figure out why it works so well for some and not for others. We will gladly take as many flatworms as we can get to do testing on :)

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, we are currently trying to figure out why it works so well for some and not for others. We will gladly take as many flatworms as we can get to do testing on :)

Appears this product isn't the silver bullet people were hoping for. Maybe all that testing should've been done before releasing the product and making such claims, people wasting their hard earned money on it...

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Appears this product isn't the silver bullet people were hoping for. Maybe all that testing should've been done before releasing the product and making such claims, people wasting their hard earned money on it...

They never said it was 100% effective, they just said they eradicated aefw with a 100% reef safe treatment. I also still believe that a majority of the purchasers reported success. Uwc would have to confirm.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Correct, successes are far outweighing failures at this point and of course we want it to be a success for everyone.

We dealt a lot with this with Vibrant in the beginning as well. What worked perfectly for us, didn’t always work exactly the same in someone else’s tank. Why? Not sure, there are so many variables at play and so much has been learned over the last year or two as people share there experiences on what worked and what didn’t. It’s at the point now that we can help anyone pretty much eradicate any algae by tweaking their dosing schedules.

The same will happen with Purge and we are confident that the tanks that have failed will be flatworm free as well as we are working behind the scenes with a handful of people who on the first round didn’t get the results they were expecting.

We aren’t here to take your money and run. We are here to help you rid your tank of these nasty creatures and we won’t give up :)

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I forget if I already said this but this product appears to have worked for me and a friend. Havent found a flatworm in about 2 months. No losses or issues with any fish or livestock.

I however did do my treatment in a qt tank with only a few small pieces of live rock, siporax, acropora, one melanarus wrasse, and some trochus snails. No sand or other fish/corals/anemones(except for aiptasia who didnt mind) so I cant comment on whether or not it is 100% reef safe since it wasnt done in a traditional reef tank environment.

I can confirm however that it did not kill the berghia nudibranchs I added right before treatment to handle the aiptasia.

I used the original pre order no label bottles and my friend used ones ordered from the site with labels.

Some additional info:

Left skimmer on the whole time, cup off for 48-72 hrs after each dose.

Did 2 oz per gallon 1st dose
1 oz per gallon 2nd dose
1 oz per gallon 3rd dose
2 oz per gallon 4th dose (I still found one or two adult worms after 3rd dose and was assured it was ok but could do double dose for the 4th dose just in case)

I never did a water change during or after treatment, I was told that was ok. Ph and alk consumption dropped a little for about 5 days after each dose so just have to adjust accordingly.

I had previously tried kz flatworm stop up to double dose for 6+ months on this tank and although it significantly reduced the numbers one day they started multiplying rapidly again. So for me, and my friend, this product has been amazing.

Thanks @UWC

Even if this only works for 75% of people (pretty sure it's a higher percentage right now though) this is a HUGE step in the right direction.

One more tip, shake the bottle like hell before every dose and then immediately fill your measuring cups. It settles easily and you want the full gunk load : )

If anyone has any questions you can pm me and I'd be happy to answer them.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Correct, successes are far outweighing failures at this point and of course we want it to be a success for everyone.

We dealt a lot with this with Vibrant in the beginning as well. What worked perfectly for us, didn’t always work exactly the same in someone else’s tank. Why? Not sure, there are so many variables at play and so much has been learned over the last year or two as people share there experiences on what worked and what didn’t. It’s at the point now that we can help anyone pretty much eradicate any algae by tweaking their dosing schedules.

The same will happen with Purge and we are confident that the tanks that have failed will be flatworm free as well as we are working behind the scenes with a handful of people who on the first round didn’t get the results they were expecting.

We aren’t here to take your money and run. We are here to help you rid your tank of these nasty creatures and we won’t give up :)

@UWC

55EBF6D1-CFB8-4111-AE9C-6F3058AEAE44.gif

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Sounds like anyone who bought Vibrant or Purge then is your paid Beta tester. Always nice to have your customers foot the bill for your R&D. I mean, the idea that "all tanks are different and there are so many variable" is just not true. Dozens of reef keeping products including supplements and medications that exist out there, that work when the instructions are followed and dosed according to tank volume, are evidence of that being a fallacy. I can't imagine Seachem or Salifert coming out with a product like that.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I forget if I already said this but this product appears to have worked for me and a friend. Havent found a flatworm in about 2 months. No losses or issues with any fish or livestock.

I however did do my treatment in a qt tank with only a few small pieces of live rock, siporax, acropora, one melanarus wrasse, and some trochus snails. No sand or other fish/corals/anemones(except for aiptasia who didnt mind) so I cant comment on whether or not it is 100% reef safe since it wasnt done in a traditional reef tank environment.

I can confirm however that it did not kill the berghia nudibranchs I added right before treatment to handle the aiptasia.

I used the original pre order no label bottles and my friend used ones ordered from the site with labels.

Some additional info:

Left skimmer on the whole time, cup off for 48-72 hrs after each dose.

Did 2 oz per gallon 1st dose
1 oz per gallon 2nd dose
1 oz per gallon 3rd dose
2 oz per gallon 4th dose (I still found one or two adult worms after 3rd dose and was assured it was ok but could do double dose for the 4th dose just in case)

I never did a water change during or after treatment, I was told that was ok. Ph and alk consumption dropped a little for about 5 days after each dose so just have to adjust accordingly.

I had previously tried kz flatworm stop up to double dose for 6+ months on this tank and although it significantly reduced the numbers one day they started multiplying rapidly again. So for me, and my friend, this product has been amazing.

Thanks @UWC

Even if this only works for 75% of people (pretty sure it's a higher percentage right now though) this is a HUGE step in the right direction.

One more tip, shake the bottle like hell before every dose and then immediately fill your measuring cups. It settles easily and you want the full gunk load : )

If anyone has any questions you can pm me and I'd be happy to answer them.

Thank you so much for the info! This is exactly what we need from all users. Glad it worked well for you two :)

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sounds like anyone who bought Vibrant or Purge then is your paid Beta tester. Always nice to have your customers foot the bill for your R&D. I mean, the idea that "all tanks are different and there are so many variable" is just not true. Dozens of reef keeping products including supplements and medications that exist out there, that work when the instructions are followed and dosed according to tank volume, are evidence of that being a fallacy. I can't imagine Seachem or Salifert coming out with a product like that.

I can understand what your saying but it’s just not true. We could just say, well sorry it didn’t work for you, but it worked perfect for us and not learn anything from it. Obviously for products like Vibrant and Purge, there are factors that are inhibiting it’s effectiveness in “some tanks”. Why? Not sure, but we are not satisfied with that and are not ok with just chalking it up to, it just didn’t work for you but did for us. I’m not going to go into other companies products, but there are many that are far from effective.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back