BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question, but what do AEFWs look like? I tried google, but nothing great showed up.
Worm in red, eggs in blue

DSC_0359.jpg

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I have done the whole treatment (I had a batch from the first shipment to UK - 5 bottles)
Turned off the skimmer for 48h after the initial double dose, removed carbon and I don't use filter stocks ever.
The other 3 doses, skimmer was with cup off for 48h
Never done the water changes as I am following the Triton method.

Alk consumption stopped after 24h of the initial dose. PO4 spiked to 0.7ppm and it's now slowly dropping 0.64 currently.

Kept blowing affected corals during the whole treatment. These are a feast for my anthias.

After the 3rd dose I was still seeing AEFW but smaller than initially.

In the mid of the 3rd week I started suspecting one acro. Decided to blow that one and all of a sudden 10/12 AEFW large came out all alive.
Still, because the claims that AEFW would loose their ability to reproduce I hoped ...

Today, 1 1/2 week after the last treatment, I went to blow the initial affected colonies and ...

XstVQalxFubtGxhKZRw7O35jGHPOv0hrQe5koLQLvtp3yeUZTdqxQd7BT46n9v6FcDsKMQylg2exNfAlGyw5oOFW5gm9rsN1MM8n0eMhweWrjQOccwIe3TxuTIjsiyDEYyBB5KYKt-gj9twH5rFouXOtZ7g8U2DEyZXmb9j45PYBxC7UpAMfIyCEE0oASg4gjeXsokgGwQiQKYlMiegOSomxoB4-ImKO7hl36AMhwIfTTEHjreYCn_5Vpa9Ptg7lYmaf6LKrn8eZSRDBBd9KJAS4gaZGTTnWvGrS0N59jxknZ4EBnEeYBHrAtyD4Ur-uDxOOp6dpowCxx_6vh4yXjJ5hTeY0LICTEp_CVctqjxD2hNu2C0ONs7vqi2R5J7zlwK6iPX__9hHqvm7xk01DMNAR_VX9vLLDQlZg55yMV00xRwLRL5R6xRYuBZigZB8hBZKicwoHVfrCtz3l8-vVMzKZZeNBu9eVv5ZUNLxue3LQCb0NmWqEowkHQWYIhZL4pQwHewJJ3rnkAK27GAajUedGfSzwN_mbQGLvPm6Q2OFQbADBfSd-_JMonzAILpMdpH4QW9_x6jcuNTK00Mxe42_dTJ-loYibS6gnN-EO1r_eLsTagYnNc9gG4bIxnGrB=w908-h1210-no

Still alive and pretty much active!

What now?
All the best,
Rui
What did your po4 start at before the spike?

Shawn Dahl

View Badges
Reaction score
I also had a po4 increase but nipped it in the butt with increased refugium photoperiod and ran some gfo. I treated tank 6 times each dose double dose. I did 0 water changes during duration of the treatment until last night due to a salinity drop, having nothing to do with product. I ran my skimmer with cup removed, no carbon and no filter socks. I added an additional mp10 that I cranked all the way up and increased flow on my other vortechs. I basted every day and dipped a couple frags every week for reference of progress. I have not found any eggs since week 2 and no AEFW since week 5. I ran the 6th dose just for added measure, in case I had 1 or 2 lurking somewhere.

I have to say this product works. May need to give it a little time and effort but it works, easier than trying the dip process. To those in doubt, I hope you can use some of my experiences to find a solution to your problem.

Thank you UWC

Jason1971

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
3 days after my 3rd dosage and I'm still finding Aefws and eggs. I have been dipping almost everyday in between treatment and I'm wondering how long is it going to take to eradicate them. Population wise they seemed to have reduced but I'm finding them on other frags and colonies. The type of aefws im dealing with are not orange or red. They are black and they leave a trace of black specks like bits of rowaphos around frags plugs or rocks. Guess I will have to try another double or triple dose to see if they really die off. I believe those failing to rid of aefws are dealing with the same types as me. You guys Really need to look at what we are dealing with.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
3 days after my 3rd dosage and I'm still finding Aefws and eggs. I have been dipping almost everyday in between treatment and I'm wondering how long is it going to take to eradicate them. Population wise they seemed to have reduced but I'm finding them on other frags and colonies. The type of aefws im dealing with are not orange or red. They are black and they leave a trace of black specks like bits of rowaphos around frags plugs or rocks. Guess I will have to try another double or triple dose to see if they really die off. I believe those failing to rid of aefws are dealing with the same types as me. You guys Really need to look at what we are dealing with.

We need a picture of these beasts.. I haven't heard of a black aefw before :)

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
As the poster above me said, those are black bugs, and I am sorry to say but I would take the flatworms any day over the black bugs. You’re in for another battle altogether.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Are these black bugs?

8846B136-862C-4866-ABD0-CFF10EDD2E87.jpeg

Maybe you could send a PM to the person who originally posted this pic to find out if he ever got this pest under control? He thought at the time that it was a new variant of FW that was resistant to traditional dips. Since it's uncommon, I doubt that UWC was able to do any testing on it.

Fishinbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Those look like a different species of flatworm. I had the monti eating black bugs at one point double or triple interceptor with bayer dips remove them. Run a high dose interceptor treatment follow with a bayer dip and another high dose interceptor anything in the crustation family will perish all pods and hermits will be gone.
As far at the po4 mine was at 0.00-0.01
After purge it was up in the .08-.1 range this could also be a source of the coral stn people are experiencing Large po4 swings.
I only did 3 treatments of the purge and lost to many corals so I stopped treatment. I also dipped the pieces before treatment and in between to test potency of purge. Dont know if purge did it or the expel dip(which is fantastic btw my goto dip now) but after 2 months of weekly dipping I've got them under control.
Purge may affect the life cycle but seemingly has some collateral damage and the only surefire was to remove aefw is with the dip while dosing purge at least from my experience. I found eggs on a few colonies after the 3 week mark so I cut everything dipped and continued for about 5-6 weeks and have finally beat them.

Jason1971

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have tried interceptor spectrum continuously for 5 days and it did nothing to them. I have been battling them for more than 4 months and so far from what other reefers have advised is that dipping is the only safest way to go or completely shutting down. Melafix and prazi does kill them in dips but have not gathered the courage to dose it in tank. They do look like a type of flatworm and it’s a superbug. Purge may have had some effect on weakening them but does not kill them off within 24 hours with the recommended dosage. I’m going to try increasing the dosage to see if it works. Am hopeful UWC could give some feedback and research this as there is currently no in tank treatment for this.

Fishinbob

View Badges
Reaction score
I have tried interceptor spectrum continuously for 5 days and it did nothing to them. I have been battling them for more than 4 months and so far from what other reefers have advised is that dipping is the only safest way to go or completely shutting down. Melafix and prazi does kill them in dips but have not gathered the courage to dose it in tank. They do look like a type of flatworm and it’s a superbug. Purge may have had some effect on weakening them but does not kill them off within 24 hours with the recommended dosage. I’m going to try increasing the dosage to see if it works. Am hopeful UWC could give some feedback and research this as there is currently no in tank treatment for this.
Yeah those look to be flatworms, maybe a resistant strain.
I will say the UWC expel dip is awesome! Kills everything more focused towards nudis and aefw and planaria.
They essentially melt in the dip after 30-40mins at double and triple strength. I've gone up to 4x dosage with no problems to anything so far. Did a large scale dip in 10 gallon tanks took over an hour in the dip at double strength and killed nearly everything and didnt effect corals.
Will be using this over bayer from now on.
Purge does effect the worms in some way but not as effective as once thought. I think used in conjunction with a dipping regimen it can work but will be labor intensive.

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
I was contacted by Michael Paletta and Sanjay Joshi about our new products. As some of you know, Sanjays’s tank is being absolutely overrun with AEFW’s. Mike is in the process of upgrading tanks and is dealing with both AEFW’s and MEN’s and would like to get them taken care of before he moves all of his livestock to his new tank. Sanjay’s first dose of Purge went in yesterday, so will update everyone as I hear. Mike had been testing out the Expel dip and will start his Purge treatment in a few weeks. He has sent me a few emails and pictures I will post below that he ok’d me to post :)

A week or so ago...

" Hi Jeff,
I got the dip and tried it on some new corals, and did a similar dip with Bayer. Looks like more pests came off with yours, CONGRATS! I am also hoping to here back on the tank purge as I have a 300 and as you know am moving up to a 500 so I would love to treat the 300 before I move everything up. Let me know. Thanks,
Mike “

Today...

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to send along some thanks as the dip worked amazingly well. I just found out that the dreaded monti eating nudibranchs had made their way into my 100 gallon Elos tank. I took out as many as I could and dipped them and as you can see from the pictures they killed them all off. I tested it first on a nudibranch that I had removed and as you can see it killed it, but it did take twelve minutes. I'm assuming the Purge is a derivative of it so I'm hoping that as you said it will kill off the nudibranchs in tank as well when the full tank is treated. Also when you do ship, the total tank volume is 480 gallons as there is a frag tank, 120 gallon sump and small tank attached to the 300. Thanks i am really excited to try it as if it works it really is a game changer. I have also let Jason Fox and Sanjay know what I found with the dip. I will also let my readers and video watchers know about it as well. Thanks again for developing such a great product.

Mike “

And these are the photos he sent..

E035D21E-0F5F-4139-BC93-B83E8FD58A84.jpeg
87BC3F1F-0130-485A-8735-4B8B2B1216A2.jpeg
A0399E08-3DED-49D5-8E65-93CD9DCF4CA6.jpeg

@UWC were there any ever any updates and results to report from Mike and Sanjay's tank?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back