BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
My acros are starting to STN after the treatment I did on Tuesday I’m going to stop the treatment what a waste of money

I don’t know if the product caused it but it seems like there are is a very large number of people who used the product and did not have STN. Did you follow the instructions perfectly? You sure you didn’t overdose?

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My acros are starting to STN after the treatment I did on Tuesday I’m going to stop the treatment what a waste of money

You’re corals are most likely doom from the pest you are trying to get rid off! Lol i did a full treatment with the 1st and last dose x2 the dose and my corals are finally encrusting and coloring up. Kinda harsh to judge purge caused STN or RTN since this is a symptom of AEFW don’t you think? Or do you do you have any other evedince it was purge directly were your corals healthy without any type of tissue necrotice before treatment?

tyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I did a full purge treatment already but it did not get rid of all of them. I talk to Jeff 2 weeks ago and he said that it was some bottling issues around the time of my order. He said I can do the full treatment or 1 treatment wait a few weeks, dip or baste, if you see any worms dose again My total water volume is 250 gallons. On my first treatment I did the double dose like instructions stated, 1st treatment 26oz on Tuesday. I Completely cut off the skimmer and UV doing the whole treatment. I did not use any carbon doing the treatment. I have the KH Guardian so I was able keep my KH in check.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Did you monitor your alk and phosphate after dosing? When I first dosed my alk went up from 7.5 to 9.5+ in a day or two. I lost some acros at that time. This time I lowered my calcium reactor output when I dosed. My alk did not rise and I did not lose any acros. Hopefully this second course of treatment will work. Not sure there is a cause and effect, but its something to consider.

sebastianpolen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all Any experience with new batch of Purge ? My Is waiting for me on duty , should receive it end of the week and I'm starting dosing again Hope it's stronger than older ones and will sort my problem with that tiny aliens lol

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Last dose (day 21) went in 3 days ago. Too soon for me to declare total victory, but I haven't seen an AEFW since the second week of treatment. The last two doses have been double, since I had plenty of Purge left.

Considering doing one more dose even since I have enough leftover. @UWC any risk to doing a dose @ 28 days in?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Totally fine to extend dosing time :)

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
@ UWC. I have been following this post from the very beginning and while i am fortunate not to have AEFW in my tank, i have been really puzzled as to why this treatment seems to work well for some and not others. I have seen post about different strains of AEFW, but is there really any solid proof as to why the variability in its effectiveness? Is it different strains, tank chemistry?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That is a fantastic question that I wish I had a definitive answer to. We did have a bit of a bottling issue in the beginning where some bottles came off the line “weaker” strength then they should have, which took us a while to figure out and correct.

One good thing is we have had a few people send us their worms and infected colonies that we are testing on now to see if there are more robust strains that take higher dosages or longer treatments to knock out.

With that said, we’re still at around a 95% success rate, but we want it at 100%, so we will keep pushing forward :)

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
@UWC,
That's great that the success rate is about 95%. But clearly it is not working some folks. is there a way to compile all the folks for whom it did not work and try to see is there are commonalities with those tanks in terms of water chemistry, or any other tank parameters. for instance, are those tank at higher temp (is that affecting the effectiveness of PURGE, is there something in there that is heat sensitive, similarly, tank pH, perhaps an ingredient in PURGE is pH sensitive, etc). I am sure youve thought about this sort of stuff already. Just thinking out loud

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
At this point until we know otherwise, we have chalked it up to our bottling issues and have sent out replacements. If these newer batches don’t work for some reason, then we’ll have to start looking at their particular worms ( if possible ) and look at things with their systems that could be affecting the way the treatment works :)

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Week 5 last week was my last dose, I haven’t seen eggs or worms but still early to call this a victory. I still have all my acros separate from my LR on the front panel for thorough observation so far no bites

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
AHHH Why does sanjay tank having AEFW Again really make me :(

I’m not sure why Sanjays tank has had the problems it has. I will say he had a lot of issues the last 6 months or year before he treated with Purge. I have asked him personally many times now to send us some of his worms so we can test on them, which has not happened yet :( I would love to get his tank AEFW free.

teamlounge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
OK folks, I have yet to post here. I have been following since the beginning, but have kept silent. I am not one to endorse or bash a product...especially in the preliminary phases. I was one of the ones who got the first batch that clearly didn't work. Jeff has been great about listening to feedback and replacing bottles. To be honest, it was difficult for me to stick with this. I have a 300 gallon system(sps dominate) and doing weekly dosing, water changes, maintenance, etc. was not only tedious, it was expensive.

To be fair, I have been doing a reasonable amount of dipping during this whole process. I am four months in and have done three separate treatment regimens. The last of which were triple doses and finished last week.

Results - Treatments 1 and 2 did not work. There were clearly issues with the consistency and strength of the batches received. The third batch was thicker, smelled more potent and took longer to dissipate in the tank itself. The third batch appears to have worked! I dipped every coral and frag in my tank yesterday. Not a single worm. This will be the second week of a clear tank. In addition, no sign of stress, bite marks, eggs, etc. Color and PE are clearly returning. Too early to declare complete victory as I would like to go a full month with no interference.

Feedback - First and foremost you must treat this 4 week dosing regimen as something you need to participate in. It is not a "set it and forget it" type of treatment. You need to be proactive with basting, moving acro's, scraping infected rock, etc. The goal is to make these buggers as uncomfortable as possible. Squirt them off the acro's...move their homes to a different spot (where possible). Don't baby the process and be aggressive.

You must shake and re shake the bottles. To be honest, I believe this is the most difficult piece to the puzzle and probably where most of the breakdowns take place. I used a full 16 ounce bottle for each single dose. Just the way the math worked out. I can tell you that I would not have gotten similar consistency per dose if I had to use 1/4 bottle or 1/2 bottle each dose. In some cases. even after vigorous shaking, the bottom of the bottle had clumpy residuals still present. I would empty the whole bottle, then refill with tank water, shake and empty again. For those with smaller tanks, I just am not sure how you get consistent dosing parameters for each dose. One suggestions for UWC might be to sell multiple size bottles so one can use a full bottle for each dose even for smaller tanks. Even still, I believe there were some inconsistencies in the third batch of bottles I received. Some appeared thicker than others and some appeared to have more residuals on the bottom than others. Not sure if this had something to do with the shakedown process on my part...but I can tell you I vigorously shook each bottle. I have a sneaky suspicion that those having problems with the latest batch are having a problem with consistency?

You must test your water parameters during the entire treatment. Spikes happen...and it may not happen in the first dose. Could be the second or third, but you will almost certainly have to vary your dosing schedule during the month long treatment.

Lastly, those claiming Purge killed off their acro's or anything else are simply wrong. I have a complete mixed reef system. Did I lose a couple acro's, yes. Were they directly related to Purge...absolutely not. Anybody claiming otherwise probably did not take appropriate precautions. (ie checking parameters) Again, I have gone through three complete dosing regimens. The last of which were with the newest batch of bottles and I was TRIPLE dosing. My tank took longer than 24 hours to clear up. My entire house reeked of Purge even the day after treating. I actually felt bad for the fish in my tank! Yet, the treatments did not kill anything. Things like scoly's and plates actually opened up and ate during treatment.

Overall I believe this is a clear breakthrough in the fight against AEFW. This bug has claimed victory for decades and I now believe we have something to break the chain. I read some negative feedback from others about products like flatworm exit, etc. that would never be released if they were not 100% effective which literally made me laugh out loud. Some people need to get off their high horse and live in a glass half full world. This product was just created. There are bound to be hiccups. Those claiming others never had issues like this have no idea what it was like in the very beginning. There is always a trial and error process. I am guessing UWC doesn't have the manpower or finances for double and triple blind studies, etc. Likewise, I am sure there were getting hundreds of emails stating please release whatever you have as AEFW is killing my system. I know I was chomping at the bit to get my hands on something. Do I wish now that I waited...well yes, of course. I wasted dozens of hours and a crap load of money. However, I am a happy camper right now as I may finally have my display tank back and looking beautiful!(although I do reserve the right to get take all this back if I have AEFW in a few weeks!!)

Get the newest batch.
Make sure you shake each bottle way more than you think you need to.
Baste, scrape, move acro's. Don't let anything stay unsettled.
Test, test and re test your water parameters.
Don't be afraid to overdose. IMO more is better than less and it won't kill your inhabitants.

One more thing. For those who dip with just Bayer. Beware Beware Beware. Bayer does NOT kill all AEFW. I have tested this because I was so annoyed my tank got infected in the first place. Melafix does. Expell does. However, I will be double dipping going forward as I believe Bayer does kill things that perhaps the others do not. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
OK folks, I have yet to post here. I have been following since the beginning, but have kept silent. I am not one to endorse or bash a product...especially in the preliminary phases. I was one of the ones who got the first batch that clearly didn't work. Jeff has been great about listening to feedback and replacing bottles. To be honest, it was difficult for me to stick with this. I have a 300 gallon system(sps dominate) and doing weekly dosing, water changes, maintenance, etc. was not only tedious, it was expensive.

To be fair, I have been doing a reasonable amount of dipping during this whole process. I am four months in and have done three separate treatment regimens. The last of which were triple doses and finished last week.

Results - Treatments 1 and 2 did not work. There were clearly issues with the consistency and strength of the batches received. The third batch was thicker, smelled more potent and took longer to dissipate in the tank itself. The third batch appears to have worked! I dipped every coral and frag in my tank yesterday. Not a single worm. This will be the second week of a clear tank. In addition, no sign of stress, bite marks, eggs, etc. Color and PE are clearly returning. Too early to declare complete victory as I would like to go a full month with no interference.

Feedback - First and foremost you must treat this 4 week dosing regimen as something you need to participate in. It is not a "set it and forget it" type of treatment. You need to be proactive with basting, moving acro's, scraping infected rock, etc. The goal is to make these buggers as uncomfortable as possible. Squirt them off the acro's...move their homes to a different spot (where possible). Don't baby the process and be aggressive.

You must shake and re shake the bottles. To be honest, I believe this is the most difficult piece to the puzzle and probably where most of the breakdowns take place. I used a full 16 ounce bottle for each single dose. Just the way the math worked out. I can tell you that I would not have gotten similar consistency per dose if I had to use 1/4 bottle or 1/2 bottle each dose. In some cases. even after vigorous shaking, the bottom of the bottle had clumpy residuals still present. I would empty the whole bottle, then refill with tank water, shake and empty again. For those with smaller tanks, I just am not sure how you get consistent dosing parameters for each dose. One suggestions for UWC might be to sell multiple size bottles so one can use a full bottle for each dose even for smaller tanks. Even still, I believe there were some inconsistencies in the third batch of bottles I received. Some appeared thicker than others and some appeared to have more residuals on the bottom than others. Not sure if this had something to do with the shakedown process on my part...but I can tell you I vigorously shook each bottle. I have a sneaky suspicion that those having problems with the latest batch are having a problem with consistency?

You must test your water parameters during the entire treatment. Spikes happen...and it may not happen in the first dose. Could be the second or third, but you will almost certainly have to vary your dosing schedule during the month long treatment.

Lastly, those claiming Purge killed off their acro's or anything else are simply wrong. I have a complete mixed reef system. Did I lose a couple acro's, yes. Were they directly related to Purge...absolutely not. Anybody claiming otherwise probably did not take appropriate precautions. (ie checking parameters) Again, I have gone through three complete dosing regimens. The last of which were with the newest batch of bottles and I was TRIPLE dosing. My tank took longer than 24 hours to clear up. My entire house reeked of Purge even the day after treating. I actually felt bad for the fish in my tank! Yet, the treatments did not kill anything. Things like scoly's and plates actually opened up and ate during treatment.

Overall I believe this is a clear breakthrough in the fight against AEFW. This bug has claimed victory for decades and I now believe we have something to break the chain. I read some negative feedback from others about products like flatworm exit, etc. that would never be released if they were not 100% effective which literally made me laugh out loud. Some people need to get off their high horse and live in a glass half full world. This product was just created. There are bound to be hiccups. Those claiming others never had issues like this have no idea what it was like in the very beginning. There is always a trial and error process. I am guessing UWC doesn't have the manpower or finances for double and triple blind studies, etc. Likewise, I am sure there were getting hundreds of emails stating please release whatever you have as AEFW is killing my system. I know I was chomping at the bit to get my hands on something. Do I wish now that I waited...well yes, of course. I wasted dozens of hours and a crap load of money. However, I am a happy camper right now as I may finally have my display tank back and looking beautiful!(although I do reserve the right to get take all this back if I have AEFW in a few weeks!!)

Get the newest batch.
Make sure you shake each bottle way more than you think you need to.
Baste, scrape, move acro's. Don't let anything stay unsettled.
Test, test and re test your water parameters.
Don't be afraid to overdose. IMO more is better than less and it won't kill your inhabitants.

One more thing. For those who dip with just Bayer. Beware Beware Beware. Bayer does NOT kill all AEFW. I have tested this because I was so annoyed my tank got infected in the first place. Melafix does. Expell does. However, I will be double dipping going forward as I believe Bayer does kill things that perhaps the others do not. Just my opinion.

Agree I was doing double dip first dip in Bayer 2nd on Melafix in the melafix dip saw a few flatworms doing their eradic swim when dying after these dips I started the purge treatment

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back