BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Treatment started today...

Did my normal water change
Dipped any corals in CoralRx Pro that were not glued down
Took alk measurement @ 9.5 ( I target 9.0 - 9.5)
Paused doser for alk
Removed carbon and skimmer cup
Shook bottle, shook more, shook again
Dosed 3oz for 30 gallons (shook in between the 1oz pours)

Zoas closed up immediately, some SPS sliming over.

I know the instructions say remove filter socks, but what about filter floss?

Here is right after first dose:

13297add7a6257b4d97653cdc079018d.jpg

I’ll update every milestone as per instructions (day 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 28). Hope this helps the tank and someone else by posting.

PLEASE do not dose for 30 gallons. IM GROSSLY overstates their tank’s volume as they simply take the outside dimensions of the glass box. I have two innovative marine tanks (Nuvo 24 and Nuvo 30) and and have measured the actual water volume and it is in both cases at least 20% lower than the model stated!!! And this before removing rock sand and coral displacement!

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Finished the treatment up this week. I’ll not jump to any conclusions yet as to effectiveness, I’ll give that another few weeks and see if I locate any more AEFW.

The main AEFW infested colony RTN’d, most likely due to the ATO issue I had a couple of weeks ago. I lost a few other frags as well.

I will say alkalinity was very hard to keep within range due to the size of my tank and the bioload. Adjusting post dosing and trying to match the gradual uptick through the next week was very time consuming. Keep that in mind if you will be treating a small tank.

It would be great to see some internal trials data Underwater Creations has and an in depth analysis of how the product is supposed to work on AEFW. Some science behind the product claims would be nice to see. I certainly can’t say that this has done what it is supposed to do yet without a few weeks for the AEFW lifecycle to progress.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
For those interested in AEFW and haven't seen it yet, definitely watch Mr. Saltwater Tank's interview with Dr. Rawlinson about her AEFW scientific research.

It gives tremendous insight into AEFWs that isn't widely discussed (ex. Aefw only go after 9 species of acros, microscopic aefw larvae penetrate the coral's skeleton and eat it from the inside out, and a lot more that I won't spoil for everyone.

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
For those interested in AEFW and haven't seen it yet, definitely watch Mr. Saltwater Tank's interview with Dr. Rawlinson about her AEFW scientific research.

It gives tremendous insight into AEFWs that isn't widely discussed (ex. Aefw only go after 9 species of acros, microscopic aefw larvae penetrate the coral's skeleton and eat it from the inside out, and a lot more that I won't spoil for everyone.
Unfortunately this video is 6 years old. I have not heard anything back about this research into this pest. I am wondering what they have found and where their research data is?

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
I started my first dose and on the bottle I read that I had to shut off my skimmer but now I read on the website that I can leave it on without my skimmer cup. Should it be fine for the next 8 hours without the skimmer on at all? Ill turn it on tonight and take the cup off but cannot turn it back on now.

Dueholm78

View Badges
Reaction score
Not a lot of action in this thread nowadays.
I'm personally halv way through my treatment,third dose going in tomorrow. Havent seen any worms while basting for the last week or so but way to early to call it a victory. I personally will consider it sucess first after month or two after the full treatment. If no worms or eggs are seen then I will consider them eliminated. I put my Alkatronics interval to measure every 2 hours. This has kept my alkalinity rock solid during the entire treatment.
Hoping that this works since 4 bottles in Europe set me back 311$

Waynefish

View Badges
Reaction score
I would like to order some Purge. I'm concerned about the extreme cold temps and shipping. Should the bottle end up freezing will that affect it's use?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Totally fine. Just let them sit out and return back to room temperature on its own before use :)

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I dose back in October still worm free, I’m only posting this right now because I got ganged up at my LFS, I heard them talk about it they had a bottle on display and kept talking about this will 100% crash your tank told them I did the whole program and in flatworm free that’s when the over the shoulder looks started and was asked to show pics of my tank, then my equipment then it was that it was cheap frags so the sensitive sps won’t survive, have them a few of my sps I have Oragen passion, WDs, wolverine, echinatas, Millie’s etc also a Maxima clam etc so their last step was that my tank will crash soon give it a few weeks, when I said my last dose was mid October they told me I’m one in a million everyone’s tanks are crashing. Word of advice no one on these forums know your tank better than you take peoples advice selectively some people want to see your tank crash. I was told chemiclean will kill my clam or worst everything in my tank, I have used it 3 times so far and nothing but great results read instructions that’s all I could say

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your feedback. Disappointing to hear about your LFS as what they are saying is just not correct :)

peter2208

View Badges
Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked multiple times, but how long do I need to leave my skimmer off for? and also can I use vibrant at the same time as treating with purge? thanks

peter2208

View Badges
Reaction score
I know this has been asked a million times before, bit it saves searching for the answer....

1. how long do I have to leave my skimmer off whilst dosing purge?

2. can u use vibrant whilst treating my tank with purge?

thanks

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If possible, leave your skimmer running but remove the collection cup and let it run back into the sump for a minimum of 48hrs. Longer is better if your system can handle not having the skimmer actually removing gunk.

No issues running vibrant at the same time :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back