BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Richie Lloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok not sure if I am doing something wrong
I am in UK. My bottle states 1 oz per 20 gallon. Day one and same dose on day 3.
My tank is a redsea reefer 250 so I dosed 2.5 capfuls on day one (55 gallon)
Today was day 3. This time before dosing I basted the acro's and loads of flatworms came out. They were not stunned at all and as soon as landed started climbing the glass back towards the Acro's.
I decided to double the dose rightly or wrongly.
I caught a big one and put it in the redsea measuring cup. Was quite happy and crawled up the side. I put some drops of Purge in and left it all day. Got home 8 hours later and it was completely fine. I added 6 drops of purge so the cup was very cloudy and it wasn't bothered by it in the slightest. I added 4 drops of RX and it was dead within a minute. The RX smells like the Purge which is making me wonder if it is a watered down RX which is watered down enough for some people to see results where as I haven't seen it work at all.
Are my measurements wrong or something else as this bottle cost me £55 = $70 and that was the smallest bottle :(

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Couple things.. there are at least two different species of aefw’s that we know of. One of them gets killed off pretty easily and the other is definitely more resistant. With the latter species, the purge stunts the aefw’s and they are unable to produce eggs and will slowly die off throughout the treatment and break the cycle.

Make sure to follow these directions.

https://www.uwcmn.com/purge-in-tank-aefw-treatment

Purge is nothing like Coral RX. It should be a thick substance that clouds your aquarium severely when dosed :)

Richie Lloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes so those directions are different to my bottle which is 1 oz per 20 gal. So first dose should have been double but I did the double today so no harm there. My issue is that I have had one sat in a high concentration of the Purge solution all day and it wasn't irked by it in the slightest.
My Rx comparison is the smell so it has at least one of the same ingredient which I believe is tea tree oil?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It’s not a instant kill for the species you have, so they will die out during the treatment, as they have short lifespans. I would recommend basteing daily, especially if you have a lot of worms.

There is no tea tree oil in Purge :)

Craig Whittington

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi @UWC

Basted tonight and zero worms found again but I’m going to run full course..... also I’ll leave the trap door open on clarisea it is t hurting anything.

Thanks

yongwooi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is it safe to dose more than double the amount? Double dose seems like not doing anything to the worms. I caught a few of them and put it into very high concentration of purge. They all appear to be lifeless in a couple of minutes.
I have a 200g system.
Day 1, I did 20oz
Day 7, 10oz
Day 14, i put in a whole bottle 16oz.
At day 15 I still seeing worms from basteing.
I have 2 bottles left and I’m at day 16. Any advice ?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi @UWC

Basted tonight and zero worms found again but I’m going to run full course..... also I’ll leave the trap door open on clarisea it is t hurting anything.

Thanks

Great to hear :)

Is it safe to dose more than double the amount? Double dose seems like not doing anything to the worms. I caught a few of them and put it into very high concentration of purge. They all appear to be lifeless in a couple of minutes.
I have a 200g system.
Day 1, I did 20oz
Day 7, 10oz
Day 14, i put in a whole bottle 16oz.
At day 15 I still seeing worms from basteing.
I have 2 bottles left and I’m at day 16. Any advice ?

Totally fine to dose more. I would not go higher then a triple dose :)

Craig Whittington

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi @UWC

I’ve dropped a bollock... tonight I was onto the second dose which I thought there was enough in the bottle however I’m 100ml short! I will get another bottle tomorrow/Wednesday but what do you suggest I do? I should dose 280ml but only had 160ml when measured.... should I add the additional amount on Wednesday or dose the whole volume again?

Thanks

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just add the remainder when you get it :)

Craig Whittington

View Badges
Reaction score
@UWC

Added the missing volume (143ml) do I just resume same schedule as if I hadn’t had to split the dose ? Thanks

P.s usually is switch skimmer on tomorrow but would you leave 48hrs again?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well I am almost completely done PURGE and I can say I have no bite marks, no eggs and no adult AEFW in my tank and I havent seen them in 2 weeks now. I do not know how people say this killed their corals. I can definitely say its not from the product and it is from either their alk spiking ( I did not have to worry about this as I have the KH Guardian which controls my alk so it never spiked or moved) or their colonies were so far gone that they couldnt recover.

I would recommend this to anyone that knows they have AEFW, thinks they may have it or honestly to just be preventive in the future if you have a large setup with a ton of SPS. especially if you have gotten new ones in the past month or so and dont have a good QT system.

I am really thankful for @UWC and this product. Thanks again guys!

Ericsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well I am almost completely done PURGE and I can say I have no bite marks, no eggs and no adult AEFW in my tank and I havent seen them in 2 weeks now. I do not know how people say this killed their corals. I can definitely say its not from the product and it is from either their alk spiking ( I did not have to worry about this as I have the KH Guardian which controls my alk so it never spiked or moved) or their colonies were so far gone that they couldnt recover.

I would recommend this to anyone that knows they have AEFW, thinks they may have it or honestly to just be preventive in the future if you have a large setup with a ton of SPS. especially if you have gotten new ones in the past month or so and dont have a good QT system.

I am really thankful for @UWC and this product. Thanks again guys!

did you decrease your kh ? if so which day?

i have khg too and i focus it every day

now i just dose second bottle and want to get ready to decrease my doser

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
did you decrease your kh ? if so which day?

i have khg too and i focus it every day

now i just dose second bottle and want to get ready to decrease my doser

No I didnt decrease my KH, I keep mine at 7 and it did go up a little for like 12 hours after I dosed the PURGE but thats it

Andy gwynne

View Badges
Reaction score
I used purge. Did the full treatment. 2 day after I had finish a spotted aefw on one of my acros. The were adult ones too. This stuff is useless, don't waste your money.

Andy gwynne

View Badges
Reaction score
I used purge for aefw. Finished the treatment. Followed the instructions carefully. 2 days later I spotted aefw on some of my acros. They were big ones too so wasn't like they just hatched. Waste of money.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I used purge. Did the full treatment. 2 day after I had finish a spotted aefw on one of my acros. The were adult ones too. This stuff is useless, don't waste your money.

Just 2 days isn't long enough to make an assessment. A few other users still saw flatworms after treatment, but they all died eventually.

Purge saved my acros. It's not useless nor a waste of money.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I used purge for aefw. Finished the treatment. Followed the instructions carefully. 2 days later I spotted aefw on some of my acros. They were big ones too so wasn't like they just hatched. Waste of money.

Just hang tight. You may have a few worms left, but they are unable to lay eggs. When the remaining worms die off, the cycle will be broken :)

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score

I bet you had 1000s of AEFW honestly.

Did you baste your acros every single day?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back