BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I found a dozen or so eggs on just one coral but found worms of various sizes, mostly smaller a month later after 6 doses. I havent found any in my main display tank but in my frag system of which both are connected. I have dipped my corals for two weeks now and due for another dip tomorrow. Using a dip called coral defense. Only 5 minutes in this stuff and the worms are dead. Been harsh on the corals being dipped with color loss. I am hoping dipping weekly for 5-6 weeks will break the cycle as long as they are not back into the main display tank. If this doesnt work I guess I will live with them till either purge is refined more or another product comes out.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
dipped all the frags in my frag tank tonight. Not sure if I got any worms off any of the frags. Worst news though I took the turkey baster to my main display tank and found 2 corals with worms. Just 2 worms on one coral and maybe 4 on another. 2 of them were full grown. I now have to say that purge was a large expense of money, time, coral loss, and stress on myself, stress on my corals and didnt work for my system. Not sure that I will continue with the weekly dips of the frag tank corals if they will just be re infested from the display tank.

Bdk1786

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
dipped all the frags in my frag tank tonight. Not sure if I got any worms off any of the frags. Worst news though I took the turkey baster to my main display tank and found 2 corals with worms. Just 2 worms on one coral and maybe 4 on another. 2 of them were full grown. I now have to say that purge was a large expense of money, time, coral loss, and stress on myself, stress on my corals and didnt work for my system. Not sure that I will continue with the weekly dips of the frag tank corals if they will just be re infested from the display tank.

Unfortunately like yourself, I too have had no success with Purge. I have an Acro only 32 Biocube and have been through 4 bottles which is quite the amount of treatments. I tried both single doses and the 2x/3x doses. My first treatment was in Mid March, and have been dosing ever since. 4 months of constant treatments and still no luck. Going to have to switch over to KZ and try their product. This has been quite devastating to my acros :'(

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Unfortunately like yourself, I too have had no success with Purge. I have an Acro only 32 Biocube and have been through 4 bottles which is quite the amount of treatments. I tried both single doses and the 2x/3x doses. My first treatment was in Mid March, and have been dosing ever since. 4 months of constant treatments and still no luck. Going to have to switch over to KZ and try their product. This has been quite devastating to my acros :'(
How large are your acros? With a tank of your size I would be tempted to just remove and dip the corals weekly for about 6 weeks. If not well encrusted maybe set up a smaller tank to house the corals in and let the display go fallow while you start a dipping routine. My corals are large and well encrusted so it wasnt an option for me.

Bdk1786

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
20190603_210519.jpg

How large are your acros? With a tank of your size I would be tempted to just remove and dip the corals weekly for about 6 weeks. If not well encrusted maybe set up a smaller tank to house the corals in and let the display go fallow while you start a dipping routine. My corals are large and well encrusted so it wasnt an option for me.

Unfortunately, very heavily stocked. The system has been up for quite some time. ☹️ So I'm in the same boat.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Nice pieces!! Send me a pm and I will tell you what route I am trying, dont want to off topic this thread.

Subby

View Badges
Reaction score
Well I just finished the full month's treatment. Final water change this morning after following instructions to a tee.

You can imagine how I felt when I found this cluster later in the day.

worms.jpg

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Purge hasn't worked for me either
I did a 5 week treatment program and I still have aefw all over in my 400 gallon tank
I'm going back to KZ flatwormstop at least that works, plus they have improved the product and I'm seeing great results in how my corals look, all my colors are popping again
I sent Jeff the owner an email on here asking him what to do
Here's the email I sent with his reply
Subject: flatworms and Purge​
Message: Jeff I'm having issues with flatworms, about 6 months ago I bought purge from you I followed the instructions to the t and I even did a 5 step program instead of the 4 step program that is recommend in the instructions. But now I loaded with flatworms again I haven't put anything new in my tanks for over a year before using Purge, I did multiple Bayer dips that never worked either, it only made my tanks crash, causing me to have major issues After giving up on the bayer I used Korallen-Zucht Flatworm Stop and while it didn't solve the flateworm issue, the corals looked great I'm not sure where to go from here, I've been in the hobby for over 30 years and at this point I'm ready to throw in the towel Any suggestions to help me resolve the issues that I'm having with the flatworms ? Thank you Jim
His reply
Hi Jim,

Sounds like you have a pretty resistant species. Would you be willing to send us a few to do some testing on and we can determine the dose needed to knock them out?

Thanks,
Jeff Jacobson

My reply
Jeff
I can try and do that for you
But what do I do in the meantime
My assumption would be to get more purge and increase the dose. But where would I start?
I have a big problem going on that I need to find a solution to now
Jim

Then nothing back from him at all
Sorry Underwater Creations but your product doesn't work and clearly you don't have a cure for aefw

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Purge hasn't worked for me either
I did a 5 week treatment program and I still have aefw all over in my 400 gallon tank
I'm going back to KZ flatwormstop at least that works, plus they have improved the product and I'm seeing great results in how my corals look, all my colors are popping again
I sent Jeff the owner an email on here asking him what to do
Here's the email I sent with his reply
Subject: flatworms and Purge​
Message: Jeff I'm having issues with flatworms, about 6 months ago I bought purge from you I followed the instructions to the t and I even did a 5 step program instead of the 4 step program that is recommend in the instructions. But now I loaded with flatworms again I haven't put anything new in my tanks for over a year before using Purge, I did multiple Bayer dips that never worked either, it only made my tanks crash, causing me to have major issues After giving up on the bayer I used Korallen-Zucht Flatworm Stop and while it didn't solve the flateworm issue, the corals looked great I'm not sure where to go from here, I've been in the hobby for over 30 years and at this point I'm ready to throw in the towel Any suggestions to help me resolve the issues that I'm having with the flatworms ? Thank you Jim
His reply
Hi Jim,

Sounds like you have a pretty resistant species. Would you be willing to send us a few to do some testing on and we can determine the dose needed to knock them out?

Thanks,
Jeff Jacobson

My reply
Jeff
I can try and do that for you
But what do I do in the meantime
My assumption would be to get more purge and increase the dose. But where would I start?
I have a big problem going on that I need to find a solution to now
Jim

Then nothing back from him at all​
Sorry Underwater Creations but your product doesn't work and clearly you don't have a cure for aefw

I am not sure a "Like" is the right response but I appreciate your documentation of events and correspondence. I "Hate" that this did not work as so many of us have/will face AEFW. I hope you don't throw in the towel on a system that size as I approach that size with acro over the next few weeks.

Sorry the stupid question, but what is your wrasse population like? I dip Bayer X 3 and QT for those weeks, and keep an abundance of Coris, 6 line and Melanurus. Am enjoying a false comfort?

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
I am not sure a "Like" is the right response but I appreciate your documentation of events and correspondence. I "Hate" that this did not work as so many of us have/will face AEFW. I hope you don't throw in the towel on a system that size as I approach that size with acro over the next few weeks.

Sorry the stupid question, but what is your wrasse population like? I dip Bayer X 3 and QT for those weeks, and keep an abundance of Coris, 6 line and Melanurus. Am enjoying a false comfort?

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing a 5 step Bayer program From what I have read this is the only thing that will work I separated the rock that I have with no corals on them and did not dip them so I have some biological filtration I'm hoping that my tank does not crash again

RaulM

View Badges
Reaction score
Well, i am here for tell people dont waste your money and time, i wait 2 months after finish the treatment as the supplier tell me after follow correct instructions, and now again have on acros AEFW. i deep a few days ago acros and have many aefw again. i never introduce a new coral during or after treatment. So the treatment NOT works.

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Well, i am here for tell people dont waste your money and time, i wait 2 months after finish the treatment as the supplier tell me after follow correct instructions, and now again have on acros AEFW. i deep a few days ago acros and have many aefw again. i never introduce a new coral during or after treatment. So the treatment NOT works.
I was like you I followed the instructions to a T didn't add anything new So clearly the product doesn't work

I'm doing a 5 step Bayer program now

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I was like you I followed the instructions to a T didn't add anything new So clearly the product doesn't work

I'm doing a 5 step Bayer program now

I use Bayer as my QT dip but am unfamiliar with the "5 step program". Describe or share a link please? Gotta believe most of us will be here at some point.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Revisiting this as I have been one of the larger supporters of the product.

Does this kill AEFW? Yes (maybe not all but it's going to damage the heck out of an existing infestation)
Does this kill eggs? Absolutely not

I think dosing this will attack an already bad AEFW infestation, it's a great "add" for people with large established tanks where taking corals out is not possible. When you have a tank full of volleyball sized colonies you're not taking everything out and winning that battle without almost starting over and you're going to replace a very large expensive portion of rock in the process.

I feel the multi week dosage is not needed. The ultimate in-tank cure is flatworm stop as it will eventually make your corals resistant and eliminate the AEFW threat over a half year to year.

This product works as a great kick start. When I did an initial test dose it wiped out what I believe to be 90% of my AEFW population. My corals recovered and growth became huge again; colors came back but over time (1 year) I noticed the AEFW threat came back without any new additions to my tank (no coral added in 1 year as I ran out of space). I have been back to using flatworm stop and my colors/PE all returned. Eventually I should have the population under control. I may even look at doing the initial double dose of this product to help attack the infestation.

Is this a cure? Nope! Is this another tool in the war against AEFW? Yes. We know it can't kill 100%, all it takes is one of those stupid worms to lay eggs and any existing eggs you can't see are going to hatch. I can assure you even if you can't see them there are always eggs in your tank ready to hatch and much more than you could imagine.

I say this only because I did not experience any tank issues when I used it so take that with a grain of salt.

Is AEFW control expensive? YES this product along with flatworm stop gets very expensive esp if you have a large tank.

Flatworm stop alone is costing me over $140 per month.

Cliff notes:

This does kill worms but not 100% effective as company claims. I feel flatworm stop is STILL the best product out there for AEFW but this can help your corals recover assuming your tank was healthy other than AEFW. Price needs work for this to be an effective tool as it is too expensive for what it does.

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
While I agree with you on cost, I believe the best method is Bayer
It will kill all of the aefw, everything else is just a bandaid
You will definitely lose some corals doing the Bayer treatment ( I'm in the middle of doing a 5 week treatment) this is the only treatment that will kill all of the aefw
If your using Purge or flatwormstop you will need to continue treatments forever
I have a 400 gallon tank with over 100 acropora colonies and after 3 treatments I've only lost 2 colonies
6 months after using Purge I lost 4 colonies and all of my corals were covered with aefw

The best way to use Bayer is to cut all of the colonies off of the rock, so there is no acropora left on the rock, that way you only have to dip the acropora and not the rock, so your tank won't crash
Using the Purge treatment will never solve the aefw problem, it's just snake oil

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
While I agree with you on cost, I believe the best method is Bayer
It will kill all of the aefw, everything else is just a bandaid
You will definitely lose some corals doing the Bayer treatment ( I'm in the middle of doing a 5 week treatment) this is the only treatment that will kill all of the aefw
If your using Purge or flatwormstop you will need to continue treatments forever
I have a 400 gallon tank with over 100 acropora colonies and after 3 treatments I've only lost 2 colonies
6 months after using Purge I lost 4 colonies and all of my corals were covered with aefw

The best way to use Bayer is to cut all of the colonies off of the rock, so there is no acropora left on the rock, that way you only have to dip the acropora and not the rock, so your tank won't crash
Using the Purge treatment will never solve the aefw problem, it's just snake oil

In large tanks this is very difficult for many reasons.

1: Bayer does not kill eggs, period. Ignore anyone who tells you differently. It makes me absolutely insane when people think they will never get AEFW because they dip corals in Bayer. Biggest bunch of crap ever, when people say this I laugh knowing they are on borrowed time like everyone else. They are just lucky and eventually it will bite them. The only way to prevent AEFW is to QT corals for over a month and check them in depth for eggs with some type of magnifying optic. If you don't do that you're fooling yourself.
2: For every worm there are many many eggs you can't see
3: Large colonies have many places for eggs to go unchecked, you basically have to cut up your entire tank to ensure you're not missing any
4: You need a large QT system to store frags from a large tank for dipping, this system needs to support your tank for months as large colonies will need to have encrusting die off as the worms feed off it in your main tank
5: You will most likely have to throw away or disturb a large amount of existing live rock due to mass encrusting

It's easy to take everything out and dip if you have a small tank or a tank with small frag plugs. You're better off starting over and taking select frags from prized corals on a large established tank. This reason is why many people hunt for in tank solutions and the reason flatworm stop is a well received product in this industry.

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
In large tanks this is very difficult for many reasons.

1: Bayer does not kill eggs, period. Ignore anyone who tells you differently. It makes me absolutely insane when people think they will never get AEFW because they dip corals in Bayer. Biggest bunch of crap ever, when people say this I laugh knowing they are on borrowed time like everyone else. They are just lucky and eventually it will bite them. The only way to prevent AEFW is to QT corals for over a month and check them in depth for eggs with some type of magnifying optic. If you don't do that you're fooling yourself.
2: For every worm there are many many eggs you can't see
3: Large colonies have many places for eggs to go unchecked, you basically have to cut up your entire tank to ensure you're not missing any
4: You need a large QT system to store frags from a large tank for dipping, this system needs to support your tank for months as large colonies will need to have encrusting die off as the worms feed off it in your main tank
5: You will most likely have to throw away or disturb a large amount of existing live rock due to mass encrusting

It's easy to take everything out and dip if you have a small tank or a tank with small frag plugs. You're better off starting over and taking select frags from prized corals on a large established tank. This reason is why many people hunt for in tank solutions and the reason flatworm stop is a well received product in this industry.
I NEVER said that bayer kills eggs, that why you do a 5 step Bayer dip, after 3 weeks all the eggs have hatched, so the 4th treatment should take care of any eggs, I recommend a 5th treatment to make sure all the eggs have hatched and you've killed all of the hatched aefw
There's nothing wrong with flatworm stop
All I've ever stated was that Purge doesn't work, it's a short term solution that doesn't work long term
Flatworm stop saves your corals but it doesn't kill flatworms or eggs

ctpeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
So,

Earlier on in this thread you will see that I popped up a time or two due to infestation in my tank. Throughout the process, UWC was helpful and sent me more bottles of Purge to double and triple dose with after the first treatment failed.

I lost a few colonies in the first treatment, and many more during the second heavy dose. I followed all instructions to a “T” and diligently based daily. The end result is that I lost many of my keeper colonies, complete tank tear-down and am just now back up and cycled with another 130 or so strains of acros quarantined and ready to go in the Frag tank.

All in all, the product did not work and did much more harm than dipping the corals meticulously ever would have done.

UWC was helpful, attentive and sent me free product to help with the issue.

All that said, I guess the silver lining is that I now have a brand new setup with custom plumbing, cabinetry And lighting due to tearing down my old system. I sincerely hope this product can work for some people. I’m just sharing my experience so the next person can take a more informed calculated risk.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back