BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
With a great deal of respect, I think the name of this thread should change as AEFW are still living and surviving while using this product and it may be misleading to others who don’t want to read the whole thread. Make the purchase only to realize that you have NOT done what was originally claimed. I for one am very grateful for your continued efforts. However the Original Title for this thread claims success and this has not been achieved yet.

Dueholm78

View Badges
Reaction score
20190603_210519.jpg

Unfortunately, very heavily stocked. The system has been up for quite some time. ☹ So I'm in the same boat.
I would never have guessed that you have AEFW with that kind of colors. Simply stunning

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Will Salifert Flatworm exit help lessen AEFW as well?
exit will have no effect of aefw. Many people are having good luck with flatworm stop but as a long term treatment. In my situation purge helped lesson the amount of worms but didnt totally wipe them all out. be careful spending your money and know what you are getting.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hmm confirmed today I have brown AEFW in one of my tanks.

Do we have any updates from people who used this from @UWC ? Initial results looked positive but then I don’t see any updates.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hmm confirmed today I have brown AEFW in one of my tanks.

Do we have any updates from people who used this from @UWC ? Initial results looked positive but then I don’t see any updates.

As someone who used this early on and again I will say I have had good results. I would also say this saved a lot expensive corals BUT...

I do not feel it's a 100% sure fire way to eliminate AEFW. I feel the eggs are still a problem, just like dips this will NOT kill eggs and I think there is still a lot we don't know about the egg lifecycle. I think people that are having poor success with this are having eggs remain and hatch.

When I dose this with a double first dose I kill a majority of my worms to the point I can't really see them anymore. My corals are regain PE and over time regrow with great color. My tank has the appearance of being AEFW free for several months and then I notice they start to come back with no added livestock. I feel the eggs are hard to catch in a proper dosing cycle...some always seem to get through.

I am currently going to dose again and hope that 6 months of double dosing KZ flatworm stop will help eliminate them in my tank. One thing I do know is that using this does kill AEFW in the tank so my hopes are to use flatworm stop and kill the current infestation giving my corals a chance to grow a strong slime coat to starve them all off for good.

I am treating this product as a maintenance tool to "live" with AEFW. I will be building a 100% isolated tank for all my frags and anything I someday want to trade with. My display tank will be for display only and my frag tank will be my grow out tank.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Nemo's Reef in Indian Trail, NC had several bottles on the shelf when I was there yesterday. Maybe they'd be willing to ship to you? https://nemosreef.us/

If not and you really want some, I can pick it up next weekend and ship it.

Appreciate the offer!!! I may take you up on that... I just wish there were more long term positive reviews. It's certainly not a cheap product, and I don't love how it is advertised when it's clearly not working for everyone.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
We should have another shipment arriving by next week. They are a little behind with production. https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/underwater-creations-purge-in-tank-aefw-treatment-16oz.html
Well after spending over $200 on this product, I have zero to show for it after 3 weeks. Following instructions to the letter and it has not done a thing so far. Still have standard brown flatworms as well as eggs.... huge disappointment. I will continue the “supplementary” doses, but it has just browned out all my corals and done nothing for flatworms.
OmsliKN.jpg

Bigmatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The only thing that works is using the kz flatworm and coral booster in conjunction with eachother, minimum of 3 months and also in conjunction with wrasses.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well after spending over $200 on this product, I have zero to show for it after 3 weeks. Following instructions to the letter and it has not done a thing so far. Still have standard brown flatworms as well as eggs.... huge disappointment. I will continue the “supplementary” doses, but it has just browned out all my corals and done nothing for flatworms.
OmsliKN.jpg

Sorry to hear/see that. Nightmare.

What is your next move? Exit? Stop?

What is your wrasse collection like?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry to hear/see that. Nightmare.

What is your next move? Exit? Stop?

What is your wrasse collection like?

It is a nightmare for sure. I am already dosing Flatworm Stop, it also hasn't appeared to do anything.

Perhaps wrasses, but the tank is rimless and I expect they will jump out relatively quickly.

At a loss really :(

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
@UWC any updates on how Purge is working for customers?

Good question mentioned on page 83 stuff don’t work

This stuff is still sold and their still collecting money kinda weird it isn’t put out of stock until it’s fixed or just taken off the market completey.

seems like Snake oil at its finest

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Good question mentioned on page 83 stuff don’t work

This stuff is still sold and their still collecting money kinda weird it isn’t put out of stock until it’s fixed or just taken off the market completey.

seems like Snake oil at its finest

I don’t think it’s fair to call this snake oil. This is still the first product I’ve seen that kills AEFW in the tank. Even the people who are not having long term success are seeing their population eradicated or seriously knocked back.

Where this product has missed the mark is that it’s either not killing all or any of the eggs. When I used this as an initial beta tester I had a serious infestation in my 300G reef. This was over a year ago, my acros were pretty much goners and every single one recovered and looked amazing. It wasn’t until a year later I saw signs of AEFW making a comeback. I had not added a single coral so these had to be from the eggs. It took a year for them to bounce back enough to see the signs of dmg.

Now, let’s look at the positive:

it killed my population and allowed acros to all heal and recover, new growth and all.

it didn’t hurt anything in my tank, my first two doses were double doses and I feel this is a requirement.

combined with basting and good husbandry this is going give corals the best chance to recover esp if you have large colonies that are hard to remove or dip.

Now let’s talk negative:

Like coral dips we still can’t kill eggs. With so many unknowns about the cycle of these things this is why people are not seeing success. Even recently there was a study of AEFW (see mr saltwater tube) that showed hatch cycles all over the place due to so many variables like temp and other Params...

Any product that has hidden ingredients is going to be controversial and the natural no chemical purists will always have a valid argument. I believe this product kills worms with a double dose and the issue is that it’s very difficult to have that moment where all eggs have hatched and only worms exist in the tank.

I personally feel I was successful in round two when I combined four weeks of dbl doses and 6 months of double zeo flatworm stop. Flatworm stop to slowly reduce population by starving and eventually breaking the cycle and then purge during that to keep smashing the population of live worms. This was very expensive though, time will tell if it truly worked.

I feel they should keep selling based on my personal experiences. Even if my worms come back I look at this as a tool to use as 6 month cycle to diminish the harm these cause.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back