OP
lordthaxto

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a sea urchin yesterday and it immediately started spawning. Today all the spines fell off the top. Had less than .25 ammonia, but will do some small water changes today to get it to 0. Placed it on some sea weed to let it eat for little. Here are more recent pics of the setup, some with and without blue light.

Snapchat-1771233454.jpg

Snapchat-1434232526.jpg

20210131_161603.jpg

20210131_161453.jpg

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the tank, I used a dremel to remove the hinges on the back. This was needed to install my new octo classic 1000 HOB skimmer.

20210116_191835.jpg

20210117_113615.jpg

So far so good with the skimmer, its rated way more than I need. But it gives me an extra 1.5gallons of stability in addition to being a beast. I cut rubber bands for the lid to rest on so it would not rattle.

Already getting some really dry skim a couple hours in. Lots of coral now too, so skimmer was needed
How do you find this skimmer? I looked at getting one but most reviews mention how noisy it is.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good check out mine if u want to see that you really don't need all the extra equipment iv got a 400 gph return pump and a heater and a fuge light for the middle chamber modified it to be a turf scrubber(tank stays to clean nothing grows on it lol) mines been running a little over a year now some of the coral in the tank have been there since day 1 (a few zoas and the gorgonian middle the other 3 are cuttings from the mother that's how fast its grown) also running stock lights all channels on at 8am and off at 8pm with moon off at 10pm and so far the softy shoots and LPS have all done very well (I'll let u know on the montipora I just added last week I got 2 direct branching types and 2 plating so far they are happy and colorfull and eating no growth but it's been a week to soon to tell but they are happy) and yes I'm keeping spots lps softys and gorgonians all in same take with good results(I don't recommend this)

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But again yours is looking really good I will follow to see how's your goes as I always like seeing what ideas others have and how well they work vs the minamilist setup I do(setup and balance is not easy just the taking care of part) also I do a 5 gal water change every week and run cemipure blue I forgot to add

OP
OP
lordthaxto

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you find this skimmer? I looked at getting one but most reviews mention how noisy it is.
Sorry for late reply

So far the noise isn't bad. It's next to my couch / TV. The light spill was a worse issue until I got my 3d printer shader for the led 90.

It's about the same as any airstone pump, unless the water levels are not right. Then you get suction noises. But that only happens if I turn off my ATO for a while

OP
OP
lordthaxto

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But again yours is looking really good I will follow to see how's your goes as I always like seeing what ideas others have and how well they work vs the minamilist setup I do(setup and balance is not easy just the taking care of part) also I do a 5 gal water change every week and run cemipure blue I forgot to add
Thanks, yeah so far I like my setup. Would prob have gone with a dif tank had I known a few things. But ill just upgrade and keep this one as a sick / quarantine tank

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back