Breeding live phytoplankton

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ,I'm new to phyto nutrition...I have sps dominate tank ,and want start adding live phytoplankton to this system.
I want to culture the phytoplankton in my home . how can I do it ?
What equipment do I need for this mission?
What are the benefits of breeding live phytoplankton, and adding that to the tank ?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 10W led PAR 38 lamp at 5000 Kevin color rendition. The container I use is a 2qt wide mouth water dispense. I use white light too recognize the density of the phytoplankton culture with darkening green color of the water. I harvest 1qt every 7 days. An air pump is required to complete list of. equipment required. Purchase live phytoplankton culture and start growing. Longevity of sustainable harvest requires strict sanitation procedures. I suggest using distilled water to minimize competition from other microbes and to that point, keep your first harvest in refrigerator in the event your phyto culture crashes.

emmysnewtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 10W led PAR 38 lamp at 5000 Kevin color rendition. The container I use is a 2qt wide mouth water dispense. I use white light too recognize the density of the phytoplankton culture with darkening green color of the water. I harvest 1qt every 7 days. An air pump is required to complete list of. equipment required. Purchase live phytoplankton culture and start growing. Longevity of sustainable harvest requires strict sanitation procedures. I suggest using distilled water to minimize competition from other microbes and to that point, keep your first harvest in refrigerator in the event your phyto culture crashes.

what’s the best procedure to sanitize? Are you wiping jars w alcohol? Or just dishwasher?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the benefits of breeding live phytoplankton, and adding that to the tank ? While it is difficult to substantiate without strict testing procedures. Observable evidence that live phytoplankton in display can continue to grow, until eaten. and absorb inorganic nutrients from the bulk water in the nitrogen to phosphorus ratio of 16:1 often referred to as The Redfield Ratio. @Dana Ridde has a thread about this.

@Yanir34

I maximize diversity of micro fauna & fana to establish multiple nutrient pathways that process inorganic & organic nutrients into live food to feed hungry mouths using the “microbial loop” to move carbon up the food chain. Phytoplankton feeds the microbial loop as well as larger inverts like flame scallops & sea apples.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what’s the best procedure to sanitize? Are you wiping jars w alcohol? Or just dishwasher?

Late to the thread, but don't use the dishwasher. It will leave a residue that will crash cultures. (Makes me wonder what we're ingesting)

Drop of dish soap, hot water, scrub, well rinsed and then alcohol wipe after.

a007grif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture live phytoplankton from Florida Reef Labs and they guided me initially and never had any issues.

I feel like these guys cheer leader, dealt with so many local stores and online vendors through out the years and quality not there and guidance just didnt pan out well, but Florida Reef Labs crew really know their stuff!!!

I use a single LED light from a company called Spider Farmer - 12 hours a day
I dose f/2 fertilizer at about 8ml per gallon
I sanitize either in microwave or low heat so reaches 175 degrees before major steam off for about 8 minutes
I do contact bleach method for containers, spray and let site for 10 min and then rinse.
I add regular mixed salt water for reef tank and fill vessel 50%. I add phyto about 32oz per gallon and then fill rest of way with RODI water so salinity is down around 1.015 range.
add air line and put lid on and keep air going so a rolling bubble

10-12 days later got nice dark culture. :)

Back