Breeding the The Striped Blenny (Meiacanthus Grammistes)

OP
OP
pdisner

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't looking for anything in particular right now, just curious, but thanks!

Chad at @Reef Nutrition told me he uses 90 micron screen on the intake, which will catch both the nauplii and the feces, and then 41 micron on the harvest container, then rinse in the harvest container to flush the feces out.

I’m not a business, nor do I sell anything using R2R. Given that, I want to let you know that I won’t ask you to pay me anything. It’s no big deal to send you piece of various sizes of mesh. I have large sheets and I’ve gotten good use out of them. I’ve made my own set sieves, built a harvester for copepod nauplii. Even after making nylon sieve for a bunch of people, I still have a good majority left, plus all the scraps that we find.

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the culture buckets have really nasty water in there. Larvae require pristine water to survive. I’m going to explain as I go. So please read my posts carefully as there’s a lot of information that I’m trying to get that across to everyone concerned.
The nauplii should only be used, for good reason. Adults have a stringer exoskeleton and can be kind of rough on the larve’s digestive system. Nauplii are a lot slower than adults, thus easier to catch and consume.
Larvae will go after the adults and peck at them, from my observation. The larvae will go after the larger prey before attempting to catch & eat nauplii. This wastes energy/calories and could wear them down to the point of fatality.
Copepod Nauplii is a lot smaller and more tender than adults. If you are raising fish or other, try to use Copepods in your feeding regimens. The nutritional value is outstanding. Studies have shown that copepods even shorten the larval period and improve mortality rates.
I ask because it was something that Todd Gardner mentioned in one of his talks

OP
OP
pdisner

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because it was something that Todd Gardner mentioned in one of his talks

Ok. Who is Todd Gardner? Sounds like someone I need to check into. So was he saying to add both adults and nauplii? Can you explain further?

OP
OP
pdisner

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I meant teach you anything! Hahaha. But seriously, I didn’t go into great detail for obvious reasons, but I hope that somebody learned a little something. That was my goal. No to show off. I was sharing what normally you’d never ever see, even if you owned fish. It’s a rare occasion when spawning takes place. Certain evironmental changes need to be in order for them to do so. I’m currently in the middle of hatching a buck of blennies. The pvc cave was full of eggs and now 2/3 gone and most if not all of them hatched which is a great sign.
e52d822da543da83eda4c65f2fcb2e40.jpg
91ed4f355e61f217cafdb92a161e18ae.jpg

NoSurfnAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my screen name. This is my new one.
So...Yes,
7975689f188631bf7de5e5f6340e0869.jpg
This is a sample of ones of my juveniles. They are really fast right now and near impossible to catch. I will be moving them into a nano cube for the next couple months to free up my larval tank.
Unfortunately, that’s the o my thing spawning now. My final limit at the end was 6. Still not the bigger number I had expected. Something always happens out of my control. Practice makes perfect. I’m still waiting for my clownfish lineup to make a move. It’s approaching just over 2.5 years. I heard 2 years is when the sexually mature. That’s hearsay though and not sure if that’s a truth. Maybe someone can answer that?
e05ddc714bd4aec1bd5c9f901b1094ef.jpg

I do have some yellow clown gobies that are incredibly fertile. The problem is that I can’t find live food small enough for the mouth gape. If anyone knows of anything g that works, please let me know. I’m going to be trying some Pravocalanus Copepods next.

Kathly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bless those red eggs! I thought my red eggs were from the forktail blennies , but they could have been from the meiacanthus pair. They were laid in a barnacle, and no fish paid attention to them, but the forktails went into other parts of the barnacle.... I took the barnacle out and moved the meiachanthus pair, since I suspected they were eating the rainfordi eggs. Turns out the rainfordis eat their own eggs, so I'm still out of luck, because nobody else is spawning... Thanks, Paul. This thread is old, but I had not seen it until today.
Do you know what makes the eggs red? It is such an intense color.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back