BrentB's Red Sea Reefer 250 Build

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BrentB's Red Sea Reefer 250 Build

Hi R2R crew! So last week I ordered my new Red Sea Reefer 250 Deluxe Package in Black. Tank Should arrive this Friday I will be documenting my build here. Probably mostly through pics. I plan to customize the V3 sump a bit along with custom red pluming, reactors, etc. I have most of the equipment and parts ordered and on it's way. Some has already arrived. Plans are for a mixed reef. My plan is a very custom build and will be taking the complete approach slowly as my time permits.

I have been following the following several Reefer 250 builds and my build will be similar to these:

Tank/Stand: Red Sea Reefer 250 w/ Black Cabinet
Lighting: 2 x Red Sea ReefLED 90's (Black w/ black mounting arms)
Return Pump: Jebao DCT-8 DC Pump
Sump: V3 Red Sea 11 gal sump. I plan to use the fuge area in the sump and additionally may use the 2.1g ATO (thinking of turning into fuge, but not 100% certain yet. Will depend on if I have the room for it.
Fuge Lighting: Tunze: 8811 EcoChic Marine LED
Skimmer: RSK 300 Internal Protein Skimmer
Internal Flow: Reefwave 25 pump with controller (May add a second one after start up)
Reactors: 2 x Aquamaxx XS (Plumbed to manifold)
ATO: CWT Aquatics 10 Gal Black out Edition w/ Tunze Osmolator 3155. This will sit beside the stand
Heater: Finnex 300w and 150w backup w/ bayite temp controller
Filtration: Media cup w/ seachem matrix, reef matrix in sump, marine pure block in sump, Klir DI-4 4" Drop in Fleece Filter
Rock: Custom designed rock work from JESTERSIX (IG).
Sand: 40# bag of Caribsea Dry Ag Special Grade
RODI: KLEANWATER 4-STAGE ADVANCED RO/DI SYSTEM - 100 GPD
Controller: Probably ekoral pro aquarium controller and doser
Control Panel: Custom built inside cabinet

Should be a fun ride. I have a SCA Custom 120 Freshwater Paludarium that I built a couple years ago. This tank runs flawlessly and it's super easy to maintain.

It's been about 10 years since my last reef setup. So excited to get this show on the road (although my bank account isn't) lol

I will start posting up pics soon!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brent Behringer great to see this build and thread going!!!! You will love your Reefer. I will definitely be following this. I think Klir has an insert for Reefer sumps in order for them to fit the stock sock holders. Check the Klir website.

OP
OP
Brent Behringer

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I mentioned. For the past better part of decade I’ve been out of the saltwater side. A couple years ago, I built a custom freshwater paludarium SCA 120 gal. I really love this tank. It’s been super easy to maintain and it’s right next to my desk in my office.

B52747BF-96CD-4003-8F82-43DD129D42AA.jpeg CDBA8C1D-4391-48FB-83C2-E9F12CEC970C.jpeg BE2582BB-4B6F-4DA3-8FCF-4F5FB65C8CF7.jpeg 0BCF667C-A664-4A99-8926-4B60C1A4D4D6.jpeg 8D63262E-A3E8-46B5-A70F-0E040764C334.jpeg CED3FEB1-D6CA-4105-9FF4-56D895CA4189.jpeg D92BA480-6000-4F13-8466-DCF6908BD110.jpeg 359BC20F-E149-4D6F-A776-607D482328F2.jpeg

OP
OP
Brent Behringer

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So posted this on in a separate thread but thought it might be good to post in my build thread also. So I’m seriously considering buying a 30” stealth sump instead of using the stock Red Sea sump. My ato reservoir is already designed to be outside the cabinet. The stealth 30 will be more than 2 x the volume and have more room for my slimmer, return pump and much larger Fuge. Thoughts?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked the Klir site and didn’t see a Red Sea adapter. I’ll try and contact them.
@Brent Behringer maybe I saw a picture of it on the Klir box but ya I would contact them. If you get the Stealth sump you won’t need the adapter.

OP
OP
Brent Behringer

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Tank, Stand and Lights arrive tomorrow pm. Finally! I just ordered my Synergy Reef CL-34 Sump modified to 33" w/ a baffle added to create a fuge area. Synergy has been great to work with. Lead time since I cut the sump down an 1" in length is 6 weeks. This will give me time to build the stand, build my control box, get my remote ATO set up, paint my aquamaxx reactors plastic to match the sump gray and install my RODI collection station (outside). Will start posting pics soon.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Tank, Stand and Lights arrive tomorrow pm. Finally! I just ordered my Synergy Reef CL-34 Sump modified to 33" w/ a baffle added to create a fuge area. Synergy has been great to work with. Lead time since I cut the sump down an 1" in length is 6 weeks. This will give me time to build the stand, build my control box, get my remote ATO set up, paint my aquamaxx reactors plastic to match the sump gray and install my RODI collection station (outside). Will start posting pics soon.
Curious @Brent Behringer why you ordered a modified CL sump with a baffle for refugium instead of a Triton method sump?

OP
OP
Brent Behringer

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious @Brent Behringer why you ordered a modified CL sump with a baffle for refugium instead of a Triton method sump?
Actually I will not be having the Fuge baffle installed. I will be doing an skimz algea reactor or Turbo ATS. I didn’t do the Triton version because I have a Klir filter roller drop in. I also had Synergy cut the sump down to 33” instead for 34 due to the little rubber pad around the inside walls of the stand. Doors to the stand will remain off until I get the new sump installed

OP
OP
Brent Behringer

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my CWT Aquatics blackout ATO 10 gal reservoir. Current plan is right next to the tank (right where it's located). This will be dependent on the control cabinet I can build above it. Thinking about placing it on a pull out shelf of some sort so I can out some controllers and/or power supplies on the wall behind it. If I end up needing a larger control cabinet, I will move into the adjacent closet, to the right of the wall it's up against and just core a 1.5" hole through the wall for ato to the tank. My last reef tank I had my ATO and Metal Halide ballast in an adjacent closet.

IMG_6056.jpg

Back