Brett’s biocube 32 Build

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, been on here for a few months now as a member and was using the forum for info for much longer than that.
First off, lemme say I am in by no ways a rookie at reefing, just haven’t had a tank at home in about 15 years now. At work I manage 3 reef tanks, a 2500 gallon mixed reef, a 1650 gallon mixed reef, and a 1675 mixed reef. All of which are on someone else’s dime. So during this coronavirus quarantine i decided I’d set up a small project tank that I could dump all the money I want into if I feel it necessary and build it how I wanna build it. Also maybe it will spark an interest in my 3 kids one way or another with the corals,fish, or critters. Gonna try my best to keep this organized and I’m not the best at figuring out how to post pics in a forum post.
So let’s get started. As I mentioned before the tank is a biocube 32 led which I purchased online with the stand back in mid March at start of lockdown. First tank came with a crack in the sump and had to have a replacement sent. By the time the replacement came and I had the stuff needed to get it running it was mid April. Right off the bat I had replaced the stock filter basket with a intank media basket with a tunzi skimmer for the middle chamber, first chamber has my cobalt heater, and probe for the thermometer.
1595691609875.jpeg

Earth day 2020 (April 22), Was the day I finally filled it up an added water. Didn’t have much in the way of limestone dry rock other than a couple pieces I rounded up either from the banks of canals near me (Miami oolite), which I pressure washed and bleached, and let sit out in the sun for a week to dry and off gas any minor residual chlorine. I used 30lbs of Bioactive live reef sand I was able to purchase at my LFS along with a bottle of Fritz turbo start.
1595691662346.jpeg

Little bit clearer the next day. You can see my minimal amount of rocks.
1595691851179.jpeg

Now I’m a big believer in using live rock. I fully understand the risks and rewards. Now was the time for me to start hunting some down in the LFS’s near me. I tried online but due to shipping issues from lockdown, it wasn’t gonna work to keep my moving forward at the rate I wanted to go. After first addition of live rock I decided this large flat coral skeleton rock wasn’t gonna cut it so I removed it.
1595692146781.jpeg
After a second trip to another store for more live rock. This next pic is about two weeks later after the addition of the live rock. All the critters, 4 emerald crabs, monti cap frag, Caribbean pistol shrimp, and few others that came in on the rock seem to still be thriving. I’ve tested the water quite frequently. Between the 30lbs of live sand and 30lbs of live rock I’ve added chemistry is perfect so I went and bought 2 yellow clown gobies from the LFS. I figured they’d add a little more waste to test and see how this biological filtration is holding up.
1595692419704.jpeg
Skip ahead now about 3 weeks. I’m a month in. Never had any issues with water quality. Diatoms and algae have started growing, even purple on my found dry rock I used for filler. I do my first water change and today I decide I’m going for it. I’m buying a pair of clownfish. I know they’re hardy and tough. Any minor spikes and they should be able to handle it. I go all in. Purchased a pair of orange storm clowns. Never have I ever owned a single clownfish, if I’m buying some they’re gonna be what I want. Never had any issue with the tank so far so I figure they’re good to go.
1595692827077.jpeg

Later this same week I add a couple small pieces of coral, some zoas and green digitata frag, and another small piece of red monti cap. Later in the week I also add a small leather coral and buy a piece of favia which I later deemed too big but have since moved it a few times with the help of the snails and crabs.
1595693297406.jpeg

I’ll continue more in the next post. Took me a bit to get this much in, sorry if there’s any typos and grammar issues.

1595691548147.jpeg 1595693191330.jpeg

OP
OP
Floppyfish

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast forward now to late May, added 2 new pieces of equipment. An eco tech Mp-10 wavewaker to create more flow and I addEd an ATO to keep salinity stable. Also locally, I have found a couple decent corals at what I feel is a decent price. A rainbow acan and green frogspawn. I also added a Pygmy angelfish. I also beefed up on my cleaning crew. I added 8 more turbo snails, 5 scarlet hermits, a sand sifting starfish, 3 nassarius snails, and a fighting conch. As you can tell I’m trying to keep the sand bed stirred a bit.
1595699107589.jpeg

Bored, being locked up at home I start noticing the summer sales here on reef2reef. Good for the tank, worse for my wallet. I’m having fun tho doing it how I want. So between the WWC summer sale, TSA sale, and LRO sale i was able to add a bit more. In this time I learned that my my crabs and snails love to reposition any coral not attached, so I went to attaching everything to the rock where they’ve been happy. At this time I decide I’m gonna be upgrading my lights in the future and change out the top. Not a huge fan of the stock biocube top, seemed to trap lots of heat and the fan wasn’t very quiet. I ultimately decided on the octotop from OctoAquatics, so I placed my order knowing it will take about 6 weeks before it arrives
1595699657017.jpeg

Having lots of fun with this so far. Only minor frustrations of stuff moving corals on me. All the coral seems to be growing fish are healthy and happy. I found a blood red shrimp at a LFS. The challenge was real, very limited stock everywhere due to this virus. Happy I found one as I’ve always wanted one. Finally got it. Named him Freddy.
1595699904756.png

Month later now, Early July, still waiting on the new top, should be any day now so I start looking at my lighting options. Soooo many options, but after a week of debating and person research I decide on a Radion Xr15 gen with the mounting bracket. Placed the order and timed it right. 4 days later both the lighting and octotop arrive. Now the fun of swapping out the top, setting up the lights, the light schedule, and being patient enough to not cook my corals in the new lighting.
1595701120703.jpeg
Here’s a pic with the light also.
1595701217835.jpeg
Only issue I had with the lighting transition was I had to cut off the middle hinge for the old stock and the Radion bracket took up too much space for my tunzi skimmer in the middle chamber.
1595701348107.jpeg
Thanks to the awesome community here I was able to come up with an alternate solution. Gonna cost me another hundo tho. Just ordered an icecap K1- nano skimmer. When it comes in, the cobalt heater will go from chamber 1 to chamber 3 and the skimmer will hopefully fit in chamber 1. I’ll post how it goes.
So as of now I don’t think I missed anything on my build. It’s been lots of fun and quite an expense with my upgrades. Although my wife doesn’t know all the costs, she is happy with how it looks. I would like more corals, my kids want another fish or two. I’m picky so we’ll see where that leads. So now this is my most current tank pic from a few days ago. I need to clean up the sand bed a little, I think my fighting conch died back in my rocks somewhere and is putting extra nutrients in the water. No ammonia, nitrite, or nitrite spike tho.
1595702604655.jpeg
So as of today, my current stocklist of what’s been used in making my tank.
1 32 gallon Biocube LED
1 Stand
1 intank aquatics filter box (W/ polyfilter, chemi
1 tunze 9001 skimmer
1 autoaqua micro ATO
1 Radion Xr15 gen 5
1 Radion mounting bracket
1 Octoaquatics Octotop
1 Corallife digital temp gauge
1 Cobalt aquatics Neo-therm heater

Fish and inverts
2 yellow clown gobies
2 orange storm clownfish
1 Banggai cardinalfish (Deceased)
1 Pygmy Angelfish
1 sand sifter starfish
1 fighting conch (possibly deceased)
1 Caribbean pistol shrimp (LR hitchhiker)
3 green emerald crabs
1 ruby emerald crab
1 blood red/ fire shrimp
3 nassarius snails
10 astrea snails
5 scarlet reef hermit crabs

Corals
Colony of Radioactive Dragon eye zoas
Cluster of Blue eye Blondie zoas
Cluster of Sunny D zoas
3 orange mushrooms
1 green pinwheel plate
Green digitata
Bubblegum digitata
2 pieces of red cap monti
Dragon soul favia
Two pieces of rainbow acans
Convict chalice frag
Space invader chalice frag
Green frogspawn
Bizarro cyphastrea frag
Skittles bomb cyphastrea frag
Supreme stylo frag
Tree type leather coral 1595700782000.png

OP
OP
Floppyfish

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Over the weekend while checking out a store for a new fish, i ran across this gorgeous rainbow trachyphyllia. Good deal so I couldn’t pass it up.
1595965270605.jpeg
Later that evening while I was checking things out with my red light, I noticed a flatworm on my frogspawn. Didn’t realize this was an issue till I researched it and contemplated my next move. Following morning while pulling it out, I shifted the rock pile. Complete headache. Needless I to say I now understand why people glue their rocks together. But their was a silver lining, in the process I found my fighting conch alive and buried. He somehow managed to work his way to the very back of the tank under the little cave I had created. I’m pretty sure he was happy to be freed. I also blocked the entrance so it won’t happen again. Thinking about it now, I may relocate him to a bigger tank at work and let the nassarius keep the sand bed stirred.
1595965747036.jpeg
Not really sure exactly how a build thread should go but I’m gonna try and keep this updated almost like my tank diary for anyone to enjoy.

RYcube2951

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast forward now to late May, added 2 new pieces of equipment. An eco tech Mp-10 wavewaker to create more flow and I addEd an ATO to keep salinity stable. Also locally, I have found a couple decent corals at what I feel is a decent price. A rainbow acan and green frogspawn. I also added a Pygmy angelfish. I also beefed up on my cleaning crew. I added 8 more turbo snails, 5 scarlet hermits, a sand sifting starfish, 3 nassarius snails, and a fighting conch. As you can tell I’m trying to keep the sand bed stirred a bit.
1595699107589.jpeg

Bored, being locked up at home I start noticing the summer sales here on reef2reef. Good for the tank, worse for my wallet. I’m having fun tho doing it how I want. So between the WWC summer sale, TSA sale, and LRO sale i was able to add a bit more. In this time I learned that my my crabs and snails love to reposition any coral not attached, so I went to attaching everything to the rock where they’ve been happy. At this time I decide I’m gonna be upgrading my lights in the future and change out the top. Not a huge fan of the stock biocube top, seemed to trap lots of heat and the fan wasn’t very quiet. I ultimately decided on the octotop from OctoAquatics, so I placed my order knowing it will take about 6 weeks before it arrives
1595699657017.jpeg

Having lots of fun with this so far. Only minor frustrations of stuff moving corals on me. All the coral seems to be growing fish are healthy and happy. I found a blood red shrimp at a LFS. The challenge was real, very limited stock everywhere due to this virus. Happy I found one as I’ve always wanted one. Finally got it. Named him Freddy.
1595699904756.png

Month later now, Early July, still waiting on the new top, should be any day now so I start looking at my lighting options. Soooo many options, but after a week of debating and person research I decide on a Radion Xr15 gen with the mounting bracket. Placed the order and timed it right. 4 days later both the lighting and octotop arrive. Now the fun of swapping out the top, setting up the lights, the light schedule, and being patient enough to not cook my corals in the new lighting.
1595701120703.jpeg
Here’s a pic with the light also.
1595701217835.jpeg
Only issue I had with the lighting transition was I had to cut off the middle hinge for the old stock and the Radion bracket took up too much space for my tunzi skimmer in the middle chamber.
1595701348107.jpeg
Thanks to the awesome community here I was able to come up with an alternate solution. Gonna cost me another hundo tho. Just ordered an icecap K1- nano skimmer. When it comes in, the cobalt heater will go from chamber 1 to chamber 3 and the skimmer will hopefully fit in chamber 1. I’ll post how it goes.
So as of now I don’t think I missed anything on my build. It’s been lots of fun and quite an expense with my upgrades. Although my wife doesn’t know all the costs, she is happy with how it looks. I would like more corals, my kids want another fish or two. I’m picky so we’ll see where that leads. So now this is my most current tank pic from a few days ago. I need to clean up the sand bed a little, I think my fighting conch died back in my rocks somewhere and is putting extra nutrients in the water. No ammonia, nitrite, or nitrite spike tho.
1595702604655.jpeg
So as of today, my current stocklist of what’s been used in making my tank.
1 32 gallon Biocube LED
1 Stand
1 intank aquatics filter box (W/ polyfilter, chemi
1 tunze 9001 skimmer
1 autoaqua micro ATO
1 Radion Xr15 gen 5
1 Radion mounting bracket
1 Octoaquatics Octotop
1 Corallife digital temp gauge
1 Cobalt aquatics Neo-therm heater

Fish and inverts
2 yellow clown gobies
2 orange storm clownfish
1 Banggai cardinalfish (Deceased)
1 Pygmy Angelfish
1 sand sifter starfish
1 fighting conch (possibly deceased)
1 Caribbean pistol shrimp (LR hitchhiker)
3 green emerald crabs
1 ruby emerald crab
1 blood red/ fire shrimp
3 nassarius snails
10 astrea snails
5 scarlet reef hermit crabs

Corals
Colony of Radioactive Dragon eye zoas
Cluster of Blue eye Blondie zoas
Cluster of Sunny D zoas
3 orange mushrooms
1 green pinwheel plate
Green digitata
Bubblegum digitata
2 pieces of red cap monti
Dragon soul favia
Two pieces of rainbow acans
Convict chalice frag
Space invader chalice frag
Green frogspawn
Bizarro cyphastrea frag
Skittles bomb cyphastrea frag
Supreme stylo frag
Tree type leather coral 1595700782000.png
Glad to hear you found your blood red shrimp. I had one and really enjoyed mine but my magenta dottyback was beating up on him. So, to spare him any more misery I gave him back to my LFS.

RYcube2951

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze 9001 skimmer in the middle compartment of my biocube 29. I have tried playing with the height and air settings but only get a very wet, tea colored skimmate. I would like a darker, dryer skimmate but my bio load is probably too low. I have some snails, a clownfish and a pygmy angelfish.

OP
OP
Floppyfish

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my exact setup until prior to mounting the Radion light. The tunze 9001 was producing. Light tea colored skimmate too. So far this new icecap seems to be working well. Not even running for a day now and it’s producing a darker and drier skimmate. I will say it’s definitely louder than my tunze was. This icecap makes and audible hum in the room from the pump.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent so far!

OP
OP
Floppyfish

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Headaches for sure some days. I’m an aquarium contractor for a non profit museum a few days a week, helping their manager take care of all the tanks. Been doing it for 20yrs now. We have 3 reef tanks, 2500 gal, 1600 gal, and 1650 gal. Each has its problems that come and go. I also am a wetland biologist for a private company and we manage sites for invasive plants.

OP
OP
Floppyfish

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since my last post. Sorry everyone. Had the tank crash on me in April this year, lost all my original fish except 1 yellow clown goby. No invert died in the crash. As I would see a fish I could possibly rescue, I’d watch an emerald crab snag it and drag into the rocks. It was a horrible time, water changes every few days to get the nutrients down since I had decomposing fish in the rocks somewhere. All the death fueled a massive hair algae bloom which choked out a few new frags I had at the time as well. And some probably wonder why I didn’t break down the tank to rectify the situation, but I’m not about that. It’s a captive ecosystem and I know I could get it back on track with time. The trachypyllia a few pics back receded and died shortly after. Part of my thinking was that the clown goby always perched in it and kept it closed.

Cut to today, the tank is still up and running. Doing quite well actually too. I only have 3 fish in it now and they get along great without and munching. They are a Swissguard basslet, the clown goby (which was one of the very first things in the tank), and an African flame back angelfish. Here are a few pics of the tank today.
1631919391371.jpeg

1631919419517.jpeg

1631919438579.jpeg

1631919475542.jpeg

it have 3 acro frags I aquired wedged into the rocks at the top in this pic. They’ve all been in here for 4 months and 2 seemed to have grown a little since then.
1631919598416.jpeg

As you can see I still have a little bit of algae going but nothing that drives me crazy. Leather coral stays closed most of the time but that doesn’t concern me much. Hopefully I’ll run across some other frags I like and can manage to place them, always seems to be the hardest part for me. Need to get s few more snails too, since my hermit crabs killed a few for some shells. That’s all for now, hope you all enjoy the update.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back