Brewed phyto has slowly been starving my zoa dominated tank

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've see zero feeding response to phyto. It helps make for a biodiversity tank with bacteria and microorganisms BUT no DIRECT effect on any coral....IMO IME
I've seen no direct feeding either. For me it's for the diversity. I do see an overall improvement in the tank and the pods since dosing.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen no direct feeding either. For me it's for the diversity. I do see an overall improvement in the tank and the pods since dosing.
Don't get me wrong.... phyto is a kickbutt natural way to control no3... if done in moderation which I've failed to do since Feb/March

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think that was your issue, the moderation. At least you were able to identify the issue and seem to be on track to correct it. Good luck.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused. High Phosphates doesn’t really cause issue with corals as people make it out to be. Phosphates are a building block. Studies show that elevated phosphates can stunt calcification in stony corals, but there’s no mention of how high it needs to be.

My opinion: phosphates is more of a visual problem more than anything.

Nitrates at 2ppm shouldn’t stunt coral growth either. Nature has 0ppm with no issues. Especially because you are heavy feeding.

Are you positive it’s not light issues?

@Randy Holmes-Farley Do you think 2.0ppm phosphates would cause stunting in soft corals?

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose about 12oz of Mercer cultured Nano and Tet daily and culture with their F/2 fertilizer. I have a 180 with about 220 gallons total. I have to dose phos and nitrate or the phosphate bottoms out quickly. The nitrate will bottom out to once the phosphate is dosed in proportion. The nitrate sat at about 5 until I realized what was happening. I try to dose nitrate and phosphate to keep a reading now. I have a refugium with lots caulerpa that grows real well though, I can throw a hand full away every two weeks. I also skim about 2/3 of the 24hr day. Cheato never grew for what its worth.

Back