Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

U

User1

View Badges
I noticed something odd with my Anemone on Saturday night but I was busy and only looked in passing. Yesterday morning I realized it had split. I now have 2 BTA's in my tank. Kinda nervous about where both halves will settle in.

I wish you luck. How about 10 or 11? That is after giving some away. And people think Xenia is the only pest coral ;)

I thought maybe it was something I was or wasn't doing then I saw another lad on the forums whos tank was over run with them. I think he was in the 30 to 40 range. I do find them interesting though with odd behavior. Sometimes they have the traditional bubble tips, others not. Then they grow and spread very wide with longer tentacles then recently for a couple months recessed in the rocks. I couldn't understand if it was water, light, or moods. Then they spawn and cloud up the tank and I'm back at square one. This weekend though I removed about 100 watts of lighting while also changing the spectrum just a bit and now they are all back out and looking more full.

I really don't understand them - maybe there is a thing about too much light. Then after removing not enough and thus them out more. Balance I guess, right. In any case good luck with the BTA - they are fun, exciting, and frustrating.

Edit: For perspective. Not a great picture with washed out and all due to lack of photo skills but 10 here. We can't see those on the lower sides. The upper two in the right are somewhat white and/or bleached. Recovering from something for which I know not what. That frustrating part :D
upload_2019-2-4_12-21-25.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless he hides in the back somewhere I don't really have room for 2. Getting one out will be quite the pain. ;Blackeye

I love the NTA.
But yes, getting them to move and sty put where you want is another story.
I waited over 5 months to be able to loosen the foot of mine that split twice in the meantime.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fantastic!

Lemme know if you want to sell one. I haven't found one locally for a decent price.

No! I want it! Me! Me! Me!

Unless he hides in the back somewhere I don't really have room for 2. Getting one out will be quite the pain. ;Blackeye
Ice cubes and q tips. Easy peasy!
I wish you luck. How about 10 or 11? That is after giving some away. And people think Xenia is the only pest coral ;)

I thought maybe it was something I was or wasn't doing then I saw another lad on the forums whos tank was over run with them. I think he was in the 30 to 40 range. I do find them interesting though with odd behavior. Sometimes they have the traditional bubble tips, others not. Then they grow and spread very wide with longer tentacles then recently for a couple months recessed in the rocks. I couldn't understand if it was water, light, or moods. Then they spawn and cloud up the tank and I'm back at square one. This weekend though I removed about 100 watts of lighting while also changing the spectrum just a bit and now they are all back out and looking more full.

I really don't understand them - maybe there is a thing about too much light. Then after removing not enough and thus them out more. Balance I guess, right. In any case good luck with the BTA - they are fun, exciting, and frustrating.

Edit: For perspective. Not a great picture with washed out and all due to lack of photo skills but 10 here. We can't see those on the lower sides. The upper two in the right are somewhat white and/or bleached. Recovering from something for which I know not what. That frustrating part :D
upload_2019-2-4_12-21-25.png
Oh, wait a minute @dantimdad, I found someone else to beg for a rose BTA. I guess you can have Brews. ;HilariousLOL.

U

User1

View Badges
@Victoria M - noted. I gave away a couple last year so chances are high I will be doing so again this year. I am waiting to see what is going on with those two up in the right of the tank that look a little bit more white and less rosy if you will compared to the others. It could just be lighting since I removed some or maybe the spectrum. I'm working on my lighting a bit so seeing a bit of diatom push since the lime channels are offline (which is really odd).

Hope you are feeling better.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M - noted. I gave away a couple last year so chances are high I will be doing so again this year. I am waiting to see what is going on with those two up in the right of the tank that look a little bit more white and less rosy if you will compared to the others. It could just be lighting since I removed some or maybe the spectrum. I'm working on my lighting a bit so seeing a bit of diatom push since the lime channels are offline (which is really odd).

Hope you are feeling better.
I am feeling better thanks.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry q tips grip the edges and lift them up.
So you need to pull the rock they are on out of the tank? Probably not possible with my setup. :(

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you need to pull the rock they are on out of the tank? Probably not possible with my setup. :(
Yes, that was s what I did. Ice is harder in the water. Just gonna have to live with it then. I also wonder if covering them with a dark bowl would get them to move and then you can catch them.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melves recommends credit cards might have a video or photo on his website
I've watched his video. He does offer some good ideas. The one time I tried to remove one I ended up holding it up over a bucket and waiting for it to drop off. Not an option where this new half has attached right now.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the part that moved after splitting. You can also notice the tiny patches of algae that I still can't quite get rid off. Hopefully in a few more weeks....
DSC_0020.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on my "need to do soon" worklist. I moved my large birdsnest to a different location but little pieces that remain have grown and are starting to crowd out the frags I placed into the location. I'm going to have to get rid of this. Might try to glue some to frag plugs to give away. The 2 frags it is starting to shade are beautiful and I want to make sure they have room. The picture doesn't do them justice.

DSC_0016.jpg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the part that moved after splitting. You can also notice the tiny patches of algae that I still can't quite get rid off. Hopefully in a few more weeks....
DSC_0020.jpg
Oohhh! Wow! That is beautiful! Gives me a happy this morning! Absolutely great shots of the corals. Love seeing them. Makes me want to have an SPS aquarium looking at all of the great SPS tanks on here. I have a lovely little 15 gallon stand with a cheap aquarium I keep planning out in my head! But if I were going to make that into an SPS I would get a nice drilled aquarium. Sorryyy.....I digress. I love seeing your photos and reading your thoughts about your aquarium in your thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I will ever ship corals, but I may try to cut some frags this week and sell them for $5 a piece for people who want to pick them up! I don't have anything worth the cost of shipping that is ready to frag. I have some zoa's that need to be cut back along with that birds next. Maybe a piece of monti cap or 3 as well.

People who want these frags will need to accept that they could come with vermitids and aiptasia.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back