Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My baby girl.
f5dac5fa1460df7a3e6898edbc568519.jpg
Look at that white beard! So precious, hugs!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry wish u luck tomorrow

Sorry Brew, sounds like she is getting tons of love.

I’m sorry to hear about you four legged family member. Hope the news is better then you expect.

She is gorgeous.
I hope so much she pulls through.

So sorry to hear this, :(

Good Luck today. I'll be hoping for the best news.

Look at that white beard! So precious, hugs!

Thank you everyone.

Just got done with the appointment and it wasn't worst case, but it's not good, either. We were basically given two options. Put her to sleep in the next few days or give her a medication that will damage her liver. We figure that if we can give her at least a few more quality months before her liver starts failing we would go that route. So, we will be administering shots 2 times a week at home along with a strong anti-inflammatory. We bring her back in a month for a followup unless we feel she needs to go back sooner.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name of the one in the second pic, if there is a name?
I have no idea. It had a name, and I'm pretty sure it came from Battlecorals, but I have no idea. It also tends to shift color. At one point it was almost pure dark purple. Then it started turning a little green at the base. Now it is a reddish purple with green highlights.
I tried to track the names at one point but gave up because of my Hippo tang. Makes it almost impossible to use a frag rack in my system because he drags the frags all over the tank. Makes it hard tracking which one is which once they are jumbled together in the sand. Especially since I'm not much of a coral person.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality life, only you and yours can decide, she won't be short of love! :)
We do love our furry girls, but they love us even more in return.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truely sorry to hear. If it wasnt for me losing my pooch last February I wouldnt even be in the reef world. Its helped me dramatically through the ups and downs.

Thoughts are with u and ur family Brew.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an exciting day today and one that will see me playing in my sump. Not sure if everyone is aware of the big R2R fundraiser every year to buy Christmas presents for underprivileged children. Well, Octoaquatics donated a $300 gift card that I won. I have a few of his products already and was thrilled to pick up a few more.

First was this dosing line holder. My sump came with 4 but I needed at least 2 more. I had tried a massed produced version of something similar but the magnets weren't strong enough so it was causing more problems than it solved. Will not be a problem with this setup.
DSC_0001.jpg

This heater holder is just pure genius. Never seen anything like it so I'm guessing it is his original idea. I have given up trying to make the suction cups work on my heaters so they lay haphazardly on either side of my skimmer. Now, I can securely mount them out of the way against the sump wall.
DSC_0002.jpg

I've had one of his acclimation boxes in the past which people who follow my thread have likely seen. Unfortunately, it was broken due to a heavy impact with a large object. Oops. So, it has been replaced by two new ones. One is the size I used previously and then a smaller one which may be more practical for some applications.
DSC_0005.jpg

I also got a very large frag rack but the picture didn't turn out. In the near future I'm going to need to start fragging my zoas and wanted a nice big frag rack to support that. This will more than fit the bill!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy day with the tank and no where near done. I'm on hold right now... was getting ready to vacuum sand and do a water change except.. yup... forgot to mix the salt. So, I've got that going right now.
On the "done" list was a reefing milestone for me. I intentionally fragged my first SPS. I have a large green birdsnest that I had previously relocated. It grew back branches from where I initially had it that needed to go. I was able to make 6 1"+ frags out of the regrowth. To my shock there was a little crab that was living in the coral. I knew I had 4 at one point but I hadn't seen more than 2 of them for months. He must have found somewhere else to live and moved back once the coral regrew into that area. Hopefully he will find a new home in one of the other corals.
I also removed and tossed the rock I was growing GSP on. I enjoy the stuff but it wasn't doing well in my tank anymore. It started going down hill and never looked nice once I kicked up flow in my tank. I know some strains do well in high flow so maybe I'll replace it some day.
I'm toying with the idea of fragging some of my zoa's. They need it but the risk of toxins makes me nervous. If it were warmer I would do it outside. Still evaluating this one.
And I still need to do the work in my sump. I was planning on doing this with the water change so it is on hold for now, too.

I'll post pictures later when I get things wrapped up.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone.

Just got done with the appointment and it wasn't worst case, but it's not good, either. We were basically given two options. Put her to sleep in the next few days or give her a medication that will damage her liver. We figure that if we can give her at least a few more quality months before her liver starts failing we would go that route. So, we will be administering shots 2 times a week at home along with a strong anti-inflammatory. We bring her back in a month for a followup unless we feel she needs to go back sooner.
Oh no. Aww man...That is so sad. Just make sure she is happy. Follow her cues, and remember how much doggos hide their discomfort. Hugs to you all.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy day with the tank and no where near done. I'm on hold right now... was getting ready to vacuum sand and do a water change except.. yup... forgot to mix the salt. So, I've got that going right now.
On the "done" list was a reefing milestone for me. I intentionally fragged my first SPS. I have a large green birdsnest that I had previously relocated. It grew back branches from where I initially had it that needed to go. I was able to make 6 1"+ frags out of the regrowth. To my shock there was a little crab that was living in the coral. I knew I had 4 at one point but I hadn't seen more than 2 of them for months. He must have found somewhere else to live and moved back once the coral regrew into that area. Hopefully he will find a new home in one of the other corals.
I also removed and tossed the rock I was growing GSP on. I enjoy the stuff but it wasn't doing well in my tank anymore. It started going down hill and never looked nice once I kicked up flow in my tank. I know some strains do well in high flow so maybe I'll replace it some day.
I'm toying with the idea of fragging some of my zoa's. They need it but the risk of toxins makes me nervous. If it were warmer I would do it outside. Still evaluating this one.
And I still need to do the work in my sump. I was planning on doing this with the water change so it is on hold for now, too.

I'll post pictures later when I get things wrapped up.
Please just put a little frag rock near those pretty green and blue ones so you can mail em to me in the spring! Just kidding! Overnighting. A coral is an arm and a leg!

U

User1

View Badges
Thank you everyone.

Sorry to hear. Not that you asked me but the QOL (Quality of Life) is an important question to ask and as long as it is there on the good side I go with the extending it until it isn't good for pet or owner. We had to make that decision with our yellow lab twice. The first time was a 50/50 shot with a surgery to remove a tumor (12 lb which shocked us and the vet) hoping it would be benign tumor on her spleen and it was. She had another wonderful 2 1/2 years of life. The 2nd time was not so lucky pushing 14 at this time there wasn't anything we could do and the QOL question was the other side. I swear that is about as hard as putting down my mother (figure of speech). I've had to do that two other times and I was wrecked for weeks.

I find it interesting that in the United States we put QOL on pets equal to a family member compared to other countries. I wish you nothing but the best to you and your family and of course pets :)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please just put a little frag rock near those pretty green and blue ones so you can mail em to me in the spring!
I would have loved to, but I was surprised that it hasn't started growing over the sand bed yet. So, no fragging of those zoas yet.

I did get 7 frags of the birdsnest and 7 frags of the orange and crème zoas. Not sure what I will do with them yet.
Sorry to hear. Not that you asked me but the QOL (Quality of Life) is an important question to ask and as long as it is there on the good side I go with the extending it until it isn't good for pet or owner. We had to make that decision with our yellow lab twice. The first time was a 50/50 shot with a surgery to remove a tumor (12 lb which shocked us and the vet) hoping it would be benign tumor on her spleen and it was. She had another wonderful 2 1/2 years of life. The 2nd time was not so lucky pushing 14 at this time there wasn't anything we could do and the QOL question was the other side. I swear that is about as hard as putting down my mother (figure of speech). I've had to do that two other times and I was wrecked for weeks.

I find it interesting that in the United States we put QOL on pets equal to a family member compared to other countries. I wish you nothing but the best to you and your family and of course pets :)
Thank you. It was a tough few days. She will have a permanent limp but she seems happy again with the current medications. My wife and I consider it very important to make sure we don't make her suffer so we can enjoy having her for longer. We will do everything we can to help her have a good QOL but when those efforts fail, its time. I suspect I'll be a wreck for a few weeks also.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an exciting day today and one that will see me playing in my sump. Not sure if everyone is aware of the big R2R fundraiser every year to buy Christmas presents for underprivileged children. Well, Octoaquatics donated a $300 gift card that I won. I have a few of his products already and was thrilled to pick up a few more.

First was this dosing line holder. My sump came with 4 but I needed at least 2 more. I had tried a massed produced version of something similar but the magnets weren't strong enough so it was causing more problems than it solved. Will not be a problem with this setup.
DSC_0001.jpg

This heater holder is just pure genius. Never seen anything like it so I'm guessing it is his original idea. I have given up trying to make the suction cups work on my heaters so they lay haphazardly on either side of my skimmer. Now, I can securely mount them out of the way against the sump wall.
DSC_0002.jpg

I've had one of his acclimation boxes in the past which people who follow my thread have likely seen. Unfortunately, it was broken due to a heavy impact with a large object. Oops. So, it has been replaced by two new ones. One is the size I used previously and then a smaller one which may be more practical for some applications.
DSC_0005.jpg

I also got a very large frag rack but the picture didn't turn out. In the near future I'm going to need to start fragging my zoas and wanted a nice big frag rack to support that. This will more than fit the bill!

Nice acrylic stuff.
Are we not all equipment junkies?! LOL

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My very first attempt at making frags. Not the first time I've created frags... I do that all the time when I clean my tank. :rolleyes:
First time I've done it on purpose and put them on plugs.
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aquatic Life T5 fixture is cut apart, modified, and put back together so I can mount it to my 80/20 lighting frame. I'll be glad to get this project behind me!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back