OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the changes continue but I haven't had much to photograph. Last night I climbed up in the attic and installed some new 2x4 bracing above the aquarium so I can move my lighting from the shelf hangers to the ceiling. Just can't get shelf hangers long enough to center the lights on the tank.
The other big change from yesterday was installing the PLM-PWC card into the Profilux 4. One quick change to the light that was acting as the master and now my lighting is controlled by the Profilux. It was so easy that I didn't realize anything had actually connected. The only way I knew for sure it worked was to try and control the lighting itself. The entire process took under 15 minutes.

The Battlebox is not going to ship this week. Between bad weather and Adam being in overload we decided to put it off until next week. So, the Battleshelf will be empty for a few more days.

LesPaulPlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, a new return pump is installed and running nicely. Still have some work to do to dial in the overflow but its good enough for now. I also tore down my QT system and got that cleaned up. It was a busy night last night and morning. I also realized that I haven't posted a new FTS since I rearranged the rock work. So, here it is.
FTS.JPG

Not exactly worthy of going to the front page in my more formal section but I continue to be pleased with how it is coming along. Can't wait for my Battlebox comes this week! More coral is the one thing this tank really needs. Those 14 to 18 coral will really help. In about a year when they grow in.... :rolleyes:

Also, a special shout out to @4FordFamily
As always, his advice on Tang aggression has proven invaluable. I now have 6 tangs in my system. Using an acclimation box and mirror once again led to no major problems. Yes, they still posture a little but nothing more than a little pushing. Everyone is allowed to eat. At this point I'm done adding fish other than a female green mandarin until my coral grows in. I want a little more shelter before I add a school of anthias and call the fish stocking complete.
Tank looks great!!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The Battlebox is not going to ship this week”

Hopefully good things come to those who wait. Maybe a surprise for being understanding.
His products are so top notch I don't care if he adds anything extra. As I told him when he apologized and asked if I wanted it rushed out. I can't see myself looking at my tank a year from now going "Man, if this coral had only been in here one week longer my tank would really look great!". If anything, the coral will grow faster in his system waiting to ship than they will in mine adjusting to new parameters.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we get to the meeting next week, I hope you can give me some pointers on using R2R. I want to show my tank build as well. Just now got the top built but no stain or poly. Having to rearrange the closet and empty the bottom to make room for all the parts.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is nothing if it isn't full of challenges.

The 3 yellow tangs I added did fine in QT and seemed to do ok for the first few days in my DT. Unfortunately, one of them is slightly smaller than the other 2. The bigger ones are picking on the littler one and he is getting beat up. I caught him this morning and moved him into my acclimation box. I'm guessing I need to rehome the poor guy if he recovers. Even if he recovers I doubt the other 2 yellows will ever accept him. And here I was worried about the tangs that have been in my system awhile. I don't think it would have been an issue had they shipped 3 tangs of the same size, but that is always a risk when ordering online.

On a more positive note, I am starting to get some incredible coralline algae growth. For a system with all new sand and 1/2 new dry rock I didn't expect to see much for at least another month or two. Very pleased with that. I may not be once I need to start cleaning my powerheads monthly, but it is great for now. It is actually growing in faster than it ever did in my old system.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is a sort of love / hate relationship between people and coraline, I love it.
IME a good sign that a system is settling. :)
Hope the little guy makes it, as you said, I doubt the other 2 will accept it.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news on the coralline algae. I love it too. That’s too bad about the 3rd Tang. It’s always strange to me that they do ok in QT but not in the display.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news on the coralline algae. I love it too. That’s too bad about the 3rd Tang. It’s always strange to me that they do ok in QT but not in the display.
Thanks!

As for the tang, it makes sense and I was watching for it.

When fish are in a QT they are under stress. Stressed fish feel threatened and shoal together for security. You really won't know how they react until they are in a more natural setting and get comfortable. This is why LFS's can have big groups of chromis and firefish in their systems and they will do fine in QT. Put them in your DT and they become Highlander fish. There can be only one! I've only seen groups maintained in a large tank with aggressive fish where they are kept shoaling.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled out the good camera today again. Didn't have much luck. I started by playing with my light fixtures to see if I could create a photography mode using a maintenance mode function. It looks like it should have worked, but it didn't. So, I manually adjust the lighting. For my non-corals the coloring was ok but my ability to manually focus was lacking. Only a few turned out.
DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that photography of ones reef or it's community is a tough task. So much to learn. Gives new respect to those who qualified for the monthly photo contests. Maybe I could send in some of my dive pictures.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that photography of ones reef or it's community is a tough task. So much to learn. Gives new respect to those who qualified for the monthly photo contests. Maybe I could send in some of my dive pictures.
It really is a talent. I've seen some amazing reef photos using Samsung phones. Iphones don't seem to do as well.

I plan on cleaning the glass a little better tomorrow and trying again.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good camera but never can seem to get the results. It's on my bucket list to take a photography class and buy a macro lens.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good camera but never can seem to get the results. It's on my bucket list to take a photography class and buy a macro lens.
Have you read the stickies in the photography section of the forum? Some great information in there but I haven't taken the time to read through it with my camera in hand. I think that will help. This is the newest one that I am planning on starting with.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/your-guide-to-aquarium-photography-1-getting-the-basics.310349/

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back