Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone were looking at my tank they wouldn't suspect anything crazy was going on. Most shockingly, I no longer even have to blow cyano off my rock. As of last week everything is so clean that there is nothing for the cyano to feed off of. I have one small patch in the back left corner on the sand where I cant reach. I'm even at that rare point where the outside of my glass is dirtier than the inside. And yet this algae persists... ;Punch

At least the algae isn't RTA! ;Facepalm And don't get me started on vermitids ;Facepalm;Facepalm;Hurting

I've only got rock in my sump center chamber now. There's peppermints through out the sump too. There are so many pods down there it's crazy!

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks Steven. Got a local Reef2reef member coming by tomorrow to get some free frags from me. I don't want to throw any away and I'm running out of room quickly. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to do my minor tank reset.

Hmm...I don't think I can make it there in time :) 29 h (1,998.1 mi) via I-80 E and I-70 E ... Will Sunday afternoon work? I'll buy lunch or dinner?

Just kidding. Looks good Brew.

U

User1

View Badges
I do want to give an update on my fight against this algae. If I didn't know what to look for I would say it was clear at this point. But, using a flashlight, I can see that it is still hanging on in some deeper crevices. I'm 4 months into this fight and feel lucky that my tank is doing as well as it is. I'm giving myself 3 more weeks to try and eradicate it. Last night I added another dose of Fluco. I'm going to dose Vibrant every other day for these 3 weeks. Once that is done, I'm going back to every other week Vibrant dosing and putting my refugium back online. I'll be adding some live phyto, rotifers and copepods and work towards a healthier system. If it comes back after this.. well congradulations.. it wins.

Vibrant every other day? Is that at the same recommended dose or are you dialing it back? I'm every three or four days but considering moving to three days apart with a water change mixed in of about 15 or so gallons. That was the piece I was missing before. Love the stuff but boy do you have to stay on top of removing the dead or dying stuff else it comes back with a vengeance.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant every other day? Is that at the same recommended dose or are you dialing it back? I'm every three or four days but considering moving to three days apart with a water change mixed in of about 15 or so gallons. That was the piece I was missing before. Love the stuff but boy do you have to stay on top of removing the dead or dying stuff else it comes back with a vengeance.
I'm actually dosing above the recommended dose. I should be dosing 16ml but have started using 20ml. Short of dumping bleach in my tank I'm not sure I can hit it any harder. Even turning the pumps off and injecting H2O2 on it doesn't do more than turn the ends white. It takes a strong peroxide dip to actually kill this stuff.

I miss my copious copepods. :(

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks Brew12. I think I am dosing 20ml also but 210 gallons with about 170'ish water volume.

Edit - I need to figure out how to sift / remove the stuff on the sand. When I try and vacuum it out it isn't strong enough to actually siphon it out (may be due to 30" tall tank) or the suction isn't strong enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brew12. I think I am dosing 20ml also but 210 gallons with about 170'ish water volume.

Edit - I need to figure out how to sift / remove the stuff on the sand. When I try and vacuum it out it isn't strong enough to actually siphon it out (may be due to 30" tall tank) or the suction isn't strong enough.
30" is a challenge to get a good siphon. My 24" works pretty well. If nothing else, use the vacuum tube to stir the sand and let the siphon pull what floats free.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sun is causing some issues getting a good FTS but I'm pleased with this one. Will try again in 30 to 45 minutes to see if I can get a better one.
DSC_0008.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty. The anthias look gorgeous in that picture.

They also look like they have gotten so big!
They are beautiful, and they are not small! But, they are also hard to photograph. Tried to get a better picture of one but none turned out. Did get a different FTS...
DSC_0012.jpg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Brew12 made it back to catch up on your thread and your tank looks amazing. I’m glad things are looking up, and getting better. I have found even with mine that sometimes things work and often times they don’t it’s a gamble.
My cyano was coming on strong and I found My nitrate test was faulty. Went back to dosing 20ml of the noprox and changing sock filters and pads every week has really helped.
I also have started the trace elements since water changes really didn’t help my fight in lowering nitrates and or cyano.
However, if my math is correct (which 99% it is) I’m back down to the min dosage of noprox. Which is technically 16ml, but have noticed the cynao trying to spring again. I then went up to 20ml, and it stays away. I still make an effort to blow rocks just to make sure it can’t stick to anything.

Super glad your tank is doing better I will always stay caught up or we’ll catch up more per say because we have some similar issues.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at where my tank was a year ago and where it is now and its amazing. Taking monthly FTS's to track progress is one of the best decisions I made on my build thread. I like being able to go back and see how things have progressed.

One year ago.
DSC_0033.JPG

6 months ago.
DSC_0007-3.jpg

Yesterday.
DSC_0008.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is insane. I promise I will be by soon to get frags and see the tank in person again.

Been crazy with wedding prep. ;)
Thanks, and I get it! The rest of this month looks pretty crazy for me. No problem waiting until after the wedding and maybe life will be a bit more predictable for both of us by then.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and I get it! The rest of this month looks pretty crazy for me. No problem waiting until after the wedding and maybe life will be a bit more predictable for both of us by then.

Just exactly what is predictable anyway?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just exactly what is predictable anyway?
For me right now, that means knowing what state my son will be in more than a week in advance! :D

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back