Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still love honesty with experienced reefers. It makes people like me feel more comfortable with things that fail.

agree

Sorry, Brew

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not all bad... but new fish are in my future. So.... where to start.....

Coral Beauty? Always loved them even if they can be nippers.
Dispar Anthias? I've been told that other than Lyre tails they are some of the best to get a small school of.
Court jester goby? My sand could use some love and I've heard they aren't too messy.
Purple Dottyback? I miss my orchid one, makes for a cheap replacement.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dispar Anthias? I've been told that other than Lyre tails they are some of the best to get a small school of.
Court jester goby? My sand could use some love and I've heard they aren't too messy.

Since purple is my favorite color, take a wild guess which one I like! ;)

Although, I really like the Disbar and Court Jester too.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of work to do tonight but wanted to get a few pictures taken, first.

Just can't capture the true colors on this one.
DSC_0005.jpg

I love the vibrance of hammer corals.
DSC_0003.jpg

And of course, my favorite zoas. Too bad they grow so slow.
DSC_0002.jpg

U

User1

View Badges

I like the Coral Beauty. I have one that is about 5 years old. Perfect size, splash of color. They are nippers. Mine is very fond of Skittles, er, I mean Zoa's. So much that I am not able to keep them regardless of placement and color. It is what it is so he/she stays. A fish a bit smaller but worth buying would be a Starcki Damsel.

I think if I was going to the pygmy angel then a harem or trio of Flame angels would be worth considering. You have the room, the rocks, etc. Something I'm considering although not sure if I can introduce since I have the Coral Beauty. So if I do not do a trio of Flames then it will be a trio of Milletseed Butterflyfish instead.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Coral Beauty. I have one that is about 5 years old. Perfect size, splash of color. They are nippers. Mine is very fond of Skittles, er, I mean Zoa's. So much that I am not able to keep them regardless of placement and color. It is what it is so he/she stays. A fish a bit smaller but worth buying would be a Starcki Damsel.

I think if I was going to the pygmy angel then a harem or trio of Flame angels would be worth considering. You have the room, the rocks, etc. Something I'm considering although not sure if I can introduce since I have the Coral Beauty. So if I do not do a trio of Flames then it will be a trio of Milletseed Butterflyfish instead.
When I started my first tank I wanted both the flame and coral beauty. I've seen them get along fine in plenty of other peoples system. I QT'd them together with no issues for over 30 days. Added them to the tank and the next day the flame started attack the CB. By the time I could catch him he was beyond saving. I ended up rehoming the flame late last year because of nipping. At this point I'm ok if he nips everything but the SPS. I love some of my LPS/zoa's but I'm ok being SPS only.

Those Lemon Butterfly's are beautiful! Especially in the wild! I saw they had them available at Fishy Business Aquatics. Tempting....

U

User1

View Badges
When I started my first tank I wanted both the flame and coral beauty. I've seen them get along fine in plenty of other peoples system. I QT'd them together with no issues for over 30 days. Added them to the tank and the next day the flame started attack the CB. By the time I could catch him he was beyond saving. I ended up rehoming the flame late last year because of nipping. At this point I'm ok if he nips everything but the SPS. I love some of my LPS/zoa's but I'm ok being SPS only.

Those Lemon Butterfly's are beautiful! Especially in the wild! I saw they had them available at Fishy Business Aquatics. Tempting....

Yeah - that is the only place I've seen them. In fact there was a thread here when someone asked what fish you wanted. I posted these and someone said here you go - lol.

I've never ordered from then and do not have a QT set up. I normally do not QT but since I've not ordered from them before and not wanting to do something stupid I just sent a email asking the frequency of them getting them in. They said a couple times a year so I figured I have time.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great.

What brand of acclimation boxes do you have?
Octo Aquatics. He makes some fantastic stuff. I already had one of his boxes and 2 frag racks. Then, I won a gift card from the toy drive so I picked up more of his stuff. The guy has skill.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is mystery deaths that remind me of cyanide collection practices. The fish lose the ability to uptake nutrition as they feed and just waste away. Who knows without a decropsy.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Happens to chromis all the time as well.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octo Aquatics. He makes some fantastic stuff. I already had one of his boxes and 2 frag racks. Then, I won a gift card from the toy drive so I picked up more of his stuff. The guy has skill.
I got a shu box as well. Love it :)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, yes he does. Btw...the screen top on our new tank is his work. It is flawless!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... how did these end up in my tank!

DSC_0010.jpg

How do acclimation boxes work? How long do you keep them in there? Do you qt? I used a floating breeder once for my wrasse.

I love Octo aquatics stuff too.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do acclimation boxes work? How long do you keep them in there? Do you qt? I used a floating breeder once for my wrasse.

I love Octo aquatics stuff too.

@cromag27 makes them.

He has contributed an article on magnets if u look it up, and I'm telling u, these magnets are no joke. I thought I cracked my glass when I first installed it. Theres warnings everywhere to be super careful handling them. I just underestimated them.

Totally custom, hinged locking lid, 100% acrylic. Thick, sturdy. Just beautiful. I used mine to introduce fish, a few days is usually plenty. Then refused it to segregate a coral that was being gutted by a shrimp or hermits at night. Protected, but have flow, lights and easy access.

I really cant believe I went a year without one tbh. 5 stars.

Back