BE12C4F7-9CDC-4A47-B188-6C7B3E2253D2.jpeg

B8EEBD18-F5CC-4D1F-9D86-8485A631F5F7.jpeg

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not great, but it's the best I could do without the orange filter on the Gopro. Unfortunately, the 2 wreck dives were too deep for me to bring it so no video at all from those.

Which wrecks?

I’m wreck II penetration certified but been away for a while. I miss it.

You have an apex, right? I know that because the router reset issue you had is an ongoing concern. Bunch of people have the same issue. It’s ridiculous. I was able to fix my identical issue by turning dchp off and setting a super high static IP for the apex . Essentially 192.Xxx.x.254. Off course, it took weeks of annoying Neptune before they admitted the problem existed and gave me the info. Actually, someone read my plight here and went to see them at MACNA. Stood at their booth until they gave him the fix

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which wrecks?

I’m wreck II penetration certified but been away for a while. I miss it.

You have an apex, right? I know that because the router reset issue you had is an ongoing concern. Bunch of people have the same issue. It’s ridiculous. I was able to fix my identical issue by turning dchp off and setting a super high static IP for the apex . Essentially 192.Xxx.x.254. Off course, it took weeks of annoying Neptune before they admitted the problem existed and gave me the info. Actually, someone read my plight here and went to see them at MACNA. Stood at their booth until they gave him the fix
We dove the Port Nelson and what they call the Steel Forest. They didn't let us enter the wrecks because not everyone (including myself) is not wreck certified. I stopped at my Advance Open Water. These were my first dives in around 15 years so it was wonderful just to get back in the water.

I have a GHL. I gave up my Apex in part because of connectivity issues. The only time I have an issue is when I get a very short power blip that shuts down the router but not the Profilux. If the power outage lasts at least 2 seconds everything restores normally.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a quick tank update before I get to work on it.

The plan was to leave the tank completely unattended for the trip with the exception of having the ATO tank topped off once while we were gone. I was worried with the heat wave and pulling outside air into my skimmer that my evaporation would be very high.

We left early on Saturday. Sunday afternoon I increased my target dose rate by 6ml/day because my Alk monitor had increased dosage.
Monday morning I saw my skimmer tripped offline due to my skimmate locker being full. I'm guessing I had another snail spawning event. Not thrilled to have this happen but I wasn't too worried about it. I get plenty of air exchange with my overflow.
On Tuesday I upped my dosing rate by another 12ml/day and my neighbor refilled my ATO. Took less than 5 gallons with the skimmer not running.
Wednesday I couldn't talk to my tank controller so I couldn't see what was going on anymore. We have been having some short power outages in the neighborhood and I need to reset the router to get it talking again. Sure enough, that is what happened again. I had taught my neighbor how to reset everything in case it happened again but figured I'd just let it go and not worry.
We bailed our dog out of puppy prison on the way home from the airport yesterday. She was so happy to see us! We made it 10 minutes before they closed. I was half expecting the house to smell like aquatic death when we walked in.
Fortunately, other than a little alk spike from a bad automatic test (only around 1dkh) everything looked great. I made a quick dosing adjustment to let it come down overnight and have it back to normal this morning.

It's great to know I can leave the tank unattended for 6 or 7 days and come back to a healthy, thriving aquarium. Lots of stuff to do today so not sure if I'll get any new pictures of the tank posted but we will see.
We dove the Port Nelson and what they call the Steel Forest. They didn't let us enter the wrecks because not everyone (including myself) is not wreck certified. I stopped at my Advance Open Water. These were my first dives in around 15 years so it was wonderful just to get back in the water.

I have a GHL. I gave up my Apex in part because of connectivity issues. The only time I have an issue is when I get a very short power blip that shuts down the router but not the Profilux. If the power outage lasts at least 2 seconds everything restores normally.
cool stuff with the wrecks. I haven’t dove Bahamas yet but I’ve blown a bunch of bubbles @ -120ft a mile off San Diego. Back when I lived in SF. I haven’t done any penetration stuff since my first girl was born. Now I’m in ATL, 5 hours drive away from Pensacola and the wrecks there and just waiting for a convenient weekend to get
THe kids packed off to the grand folks and go for it

I shouldn’t have assumed you had an apex. I think this might be the first I’ve heard of this issue with a GHL. Possible to get a
Super small UPS just for the router? It sounds like even if it lasted for 30 seconds, connection would be fine after. If your router is 12v (power adapter off the wall- mine is) You could rig up a 12v battery and relay, with battery on NO, and the 12v power supply on NC. Wire the coil to the routers power supply also. Power as usual sends 12v through the NC. Power cut makes NO closed, feeding battery 12v to router. This isn’t new to you though, your the electrical guru!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt get much better than a Sandals resort. Nice taste :)

No aquatic death smell bad juju! Welcome home sir. The dive looked like a great time too. Any sightings of species u have stockes?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t dove Bahamas yet but I’ve blown a bunch of bubbles @ -120ft a mile off San Diego. Back when I lived in SF. I haven’t done any penetration stuff since my first girl was born. Now I’m in ATL, 5 hours drive away from Pensacola and the wrecks there and just waiting for a convenient weekend to get
THe kids packed off to the grand folks and go for it
I had no idea there were any wrecks near Pensacola worth diving. I've been there numerous times and never even though of diving. I'm about 5 hours away, also.
I shouldn’t have assumed you had an apex. I think this might be the first I’ve heard of this issue with a GHL. Possible to get a
Super small UPS just for the router? It sounds like even if it lasted for 30 seconds, connection would be fine after.
I could get a UPS but I don't see it being worth it. It's only been a problem the last 3 weeks because of upgrades they are doing to a substation near us. Prior to that utility work I've gone over a year without losing connection.
It doesnt get much better than a Sandals resort. Nice taste :)

No aquatic death smell bad juju! Welcome home sir. The dive looked like a great time too. Any sightings of species u have stockes?
It was nice, but it was also sadly lacking. They do so much right and yet struggle with some simple things. As an example, we thought our balcony lounge chairs were uncomfortable for the first 3 day and on day 4 they put pads on them. Why did we have to wait 3 days? We went 2 days without wash clothes. Dirty bar glasses went 4 days without being picked up. Yet the room was always cleaned spotless. It was really a contradiction in service.

I didn't see any that I currently have but I did see a few royal gramma's. Lots of damsels and wrasses that I couldn't identify. And of course, carribean tangs. Just nothing in my tank.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea there were any wrecks near Pensacola worth diving. I've been there numerous times and never even though of diving. I'm about 5 hours away, also.

I could get a UPS but I don't see it being worth it. It's only been a problem the last 3 weeks because of upgrades they are doing to a substation near us. Prior to that utility work I've gone over a year without losing connection.

It was nice, but it was also sadly lacking. They do so much right and yet struggle with some simple things. As an example, we thought our balcony lounge chairs were uncomfortable for the first 3 day and on day 4 they put pads on them. Why did we have to wait 3 days? We went 2 days without wash clothes. Dirty bar glasses went 4 days without being picked up. Yet the room was always cleaned spotless. It was really a contradiction in service.

I didn't see any that I currently have but I did see a few royal gramma's. Lots of damsels and wrasses that I couldn't identify. And of course, carribean tangs. Just nothing in my tank.
Roger that on the livestock.

That's incredibly surprising. They are top notch in most reviews. I hear you on the simple things. At least it was clean ;Bored

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that on the livestock.

That's incredibly surprising. They are top notch in most reviews. I hear you on the simple things. At least it was clean ;Bored
We had an amazing time so it's not like it ruined the vacation. It was just surprising that they could do so much so well and yet still miss some very simple things. It wasn't anything that would keep us from going back.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I just tried scuba diving yesterday for the first time and I can say it was awesome even in just a pool! I’m on a marine bio track and plan on doing a internship with the epa and need to learn to scuba and get basic certification

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried scuba diving yesterday for the first time and I can say it was awesome even in just a pool! I’m on a marine bio track and plan on doing a internship with the epa and need to learn to scuba and get basic certification
Scuba is a great activity! I've tried to get my wife to get certified with no luck so far. Maybe one of these days...
It would be a dream to have a job where I could dive for a living!

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scuba is a great activity! I've tried to get my wife to get certified with no luck so far. Maybe one of these days...
It would be a dream to have a job where I could dive for a living!
For sure even though diving in the Ohio River isn’t really my thing and I’d rather be on a coral reef, id still rather be doing something like that then a desk job lol

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure even though diving in the Ohio River isn’t really my thing and I’d rather be on a coral reef, id still rather be doing something like that then a desk job lol
Can't say I've been diving in the Ohio although I have in the Mississippi. What a pain!

I certified a long time ago in the Puget Sound and did my first 80-100 dives there with the exception of a few dives in Hawaii and one less than pleasant dive off the coast of Alaska. I'm done with cold water diving at this point. I will say that diving in the sound is pretty amazing. Crab and octopus are everywhere as are big fish. You don't get much color. In the right spots you can dive with harbor seals which are awesome but not good for new divers. They like the bubbles and some have learned they can make more bubbles by pulling the regulator out of your mouth.

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't say I've been diving in the Ohio although I have in the Mississippi. What a pain!

I certified a long time ago in the Puget Sound and did my first 80-100 dives there with the exception of a few dives in Hawaii and one less than pleasant dive off the coast of Alaska. I'm done with cold water diving at this point. I will say that diving in the sound is pretty amazing. Crab and octopus are everywhere as are big fish. You don't get much color. In the right spots you can dive with harbor seals which are awesome but not good for new divers. They like the bubbles and some have learned they can make more bubbles by pulling the regulator out of your mouth.
That sounds awesome!! Didn’t know that about harbor seals never even though about that lol.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the story about the sound and the harbor seals! One of my old friends had a collector license and caught fish and octopus for public aquariums off the Oregon coast. I often stopped by his shop to see the cold water aquariums he kept. Actually there are lots of colorful life forms in the Pacific Northwest.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#honestyinreefing
Oh boy... dosing issues and not enough time to fix them. My Alk has stayed low despite increasing my dosing rate several times. I've been so busy since I've gotten back from vacation I haven't worried about it. Last night I started digging into it and noticed my Alk had stopped dosing. The head still turned but it wasn't pumping anything. Changed out the wear parts of my dosing pump with no success. Did a manual alk addition. Changed dosing containers (it pulls from a straw) and no improvement. Swapped out a section of dosing tube and still no luck. I got it to dose from a separate container so something must not be working correctly from the built in connection on the dosing container. I found a clog in the 2nd container I tried from not being used for anything in months. Ugh...
So far the only negative is that it has caused me to dose an excessive amount of calcium but i don't consider that an issue at this point. It should drop down on its own over the next few days.

The other issue this caused? I was almost out of 2part and don't have what I need to mix more. It gets here on Thursday. Between the large increase in dosing rates I've experienced recently and what I lost with all this playing I'll be cutting it very close. I normally stock up better but the Bahamas trip distracted me. I really don't want to make the almost 2 hour round trip in rush hour traffic just to get 2 days worth of Alk but I will if I have to.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my world. Cold waters of Northern California. Everywhere else feels like diving in a bathtub. On the other hand Monterey is still some of the best diving I've witnessed regardless of location ;)

Sounds like you had a great time which is most excellent!
Correction- Monterey IS THE BEST HANDS DOWN, including compared to tropical.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back