Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. I just didn't say that because I'm biased :D

As you know it is a different dive style and gear requirement for our colder waters but well worth it. I still dive traditional wet suite although it is a 7 mm full body with 3 mm chest heater. Well worth it though.
I haven't dove Monterey but I have done some diving in kelp forests and it is amazing. I tried a dry suit once and couldn't stand it. I used to dive in a 7mm custom fit semi-dry suit with a 7mm vest and hood by Deep Heat. Deeper dives where the suit would get compressed were still very cold but for most dives under 60ft it was just fine.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I left for the Bahamas on the 28th. Anyone want to guess what day we came home?

pH doesn't lie!
1570561081371.png

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't dove Monterey but I have done some diving in kelp forests and it is amazing. I tried a dry suit once and couldn't stand it. I used to dive in a 7mm custom fit semi-dry suit with a 7mm vest and hood by Deep Heat. Deeper dives where the suit would get compressed were still very cold but for most dives under 60ft it was just fine.
Hardcore drysuit diver all the way. Only way to get 4-5 dives/day for 3 days straight. Full pee vent cath and argon suit inflation. Definitely a steep learning curve but I did a bunch of trim work in a saltwater pool at Wallins dive center in San Bruno before they closed.

I got a 12mm neoprene hood from Otter (local neoprene seamstress) and my ears would be hot at 100ft in 49oF water off monastery beach

Let me see if I can dig up some pics

EE3A87B4-8825-4755-A0F1-EBF39A1E2704.jpeg
4B14FA00-EB7B-470E-BF78-BC9A3E793706.jpeg
796545C3-0AF9-47A5-A534-B3773ACAC610.jpeg

This little dude would come up and nip our fins and lay his head on my shoulder... until his 300lb 8ft long dad came up to me nose to nose and barked a bunch of bubbles in my face. Good times

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a smoker, my skimmer has an external air supply! ;)
Believe it or not, my skimmer does, too. I didn't expect to see nearly that much of a change, if any. Of course, my skimmer tripped off on day 2 of the vacation so not sure how much of an impact that would have had but it doesn't even register on my pH graph.

It makes me think that I have overestimated just how much air exchange is performed by a skimmer.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues from the pump hiccup downstream or did u catch it in time?

Fixed yet or?
Everything is doing really well, surprisingly enough. Serious problems with my dosing system this week that has required a lot of attention but I got everything lined back out and calibrated last night. I'm up to 150ml of each 2 part now and evaluating if I need to raise it again. I may go into the tank this weekend and cut back some monti's and maybe one or two larger corals which should cut back how much 2 part I use.

At the rate my 2-part demand is going up I'm going to have no choice but to switch to a calcium reactor soon.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is doing really well, surprisingly enough. Serious problems with my dosing system this week that has required a lot of attention but I got everything lined back out and calibrated last night. I'm up to 150ml of each 2 part now and evaluating if I need to raise it again. I may go into the tank this weekend and cut back some monti's and maybe one or two larger corals which should cut back how much 2 part I use.

At the rate my 2-part demand is going up I'm going to have no choice but to switch to a calcium reactor soon.

Glad to hear it... never get a day off with a reef.

Which monti u trimming?
;Troll

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it... never get a day off with a reef.

Which monti u trimming?
;Troll
The green plating monti at the front and the big orange one in the back and a purple one on the left side at the very least. I also have to get rid of some birdsnest that is growing where I don't want it and might cut back my orange digi.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy your caving in for the reactor
This time last year I was refilling my dosing containers every 2 1/2 months. Now it lasts 18 days and the rate demand is going up isn't slowing down. And those are 3L containers so they aren't small.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about more vacation pictures?
The circle is the room we stayed in.
1570914309277.png

They had lights in the water next to this restaurant so you could see the fish swimming while you ate.
1570914402341.png

The Quiet Pool. I had quite a few drinks from this swim up bar.
1570914506233.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, my skimmer does, too. I didn't expect to see nearly that much of a change, if any. Of course, my skimmer tripped off on day 2 of the vacation so not sure how much of an impact that would have had but it doesn't even register on my pH graph.

It makes me think that I have overestimated just how much air exchange is performed by a skimmer.

I have notice the same thing - even if I have an outdoors line into my skimmer - visitors will impact my pH anyway - but I do not think we underestimate the exchange of gases in the skimmer - we underestimate the impact of higher CO2 levels into the open surface of DT and sump instead

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have notice the same thing - even if I have an outdoors line into my skimmer - visitors will impact my pH anyway - but I do not think we underestimate the exchange of gases in the skimmer - we underestimate the impact of higher CO2 levels into the open surface of DT and sump instead

Sincerely Lasse
Excellent point Lasse. We may be adding less CO2 via the skimmer but we still have a high amount of air exchange in the DT and overflow to add CO2 from the house.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent point Lasse. We may be adding less CO2 via the skimmer but we still have a high amount of air exchange in the DT and overflow to add CO2 from the house.

It's always a battle of equilibrium with indoor C02. Think of the mass of air volume inside with trapped C02 as opposed to the small amount of air drawn in from a outside line. Open windows win every time.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This time last year I was refilling my dosing containers every 2 1/2 months. Now it lasts 18 days and the rate demand is going up isn't slowing down. And those are 3L containers so they aren't small.

Those containers are for nano tanks.
I have 5 gallon buckets for a 30 gallon frag tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew,
Looks like ya'll had a great time!!

lol
Finally cooled off enough to open windows up here... :p

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back