Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about something a little happier? I cleaned up the glass and took a few quick pictures. Only 2 came out fairly decent but it does give an idea of how the tank is filling in. And, for those fairly new to my build thread, that Hippo Tang is around 8" long to put size in perspective.

Left side.jpg

Right Side.jpg
Looking great! Very interested in your Avast calcium reactor when you get it.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Very interested in your Avast calcium reactor when you get it.
Thanks, and absolutely! I'll do my best to keep my results updated. They sold out of the first production run so it will be a few weeks before mine ships, if I understand correctly. I think I have everything I need now other than the media and the CO2.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and absolutely! I'll do my best to keep my results updated. They sold out of the first production run so it will be a few weeks before mine ships, if I understand correctly. I think I have everything I need now other than the media and the CO2.
What media u gonna run?
Calcium reactors are like Spanish to me don’t understand it at all

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick phone pic with my lights turning blue
AA048156-2707-4124-94D3-FDA90475DFD0.jpeg
Brew! You have to tell me how you did the little Piller rock deal in the back of your tank...with the flat piece on top. I need to go up in my tank and that would be the perfect way! Did you buy separate pieces and cement them together?

Love your tank!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What media u gonna run?
Calcium reactors are like Spanish to me don’t understand it at all
Oops... I typed this out last night and apparently never posted it! ;Sorry

I'm going to try and find Two Little Fishies Reborn media, but it seems to be out of stock all over.

The basic concept of calcium reactors is this. You recirculate water through old coral skeletons. You use CO2 to drop the pH to get the coral skeletons to dissolve. The lower the pH, the faster the media dissolves.
You use a much smaller pump to control how much water flows through the calcium reactor. To determine how much you vary the flow through the reactor and the pH in the reactor. If you need more alkalinity you either lower pH in the reactor or flow more water through the reactor.

I plan on running constant flow and controlling pH to adjust how much alkalinity is added.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is an inspiration Brew. Love the development.

Brew! You have to tell me how you did the little Piller rock deal in the back of your tank...with the flat piece on top. I need to go up in my tank and that would be the perfect way! Did you buy separate pieces and cement them together?

Love your tank!
Thank you both!

That rock is 4 or 5 smaller rocks that I cut flat sides on with a masonry saw and then used 2 part reef putty and lots of superglue to put together. I tried drilling and using 2 x 1/4" acrylic rods to hold the top but they snapped. I wish I had made it a few inches shorter but live and learn.

And it isn't really in the back of the tank, although it looks that way. The rock on top is over 20" long so while the column is toward the back the bottom of the base and the front of the top piece are within a few inches of the front of the tank. It's a large, heavy piece.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops... I typed this out last night and apparently never posted it! ;Sorry

I'm going to try and find Two Little Fishies Reborn media, but it seems to be out of stock all over.

The basic concept of calcium reactors is this. You recirculate water through old coral skeletons. You use CO2 to drop the pH to get the coral skeletons to dissolve. The lower the pH, the faster the media dissolves.
You use a much smaller pump to control how much water flows through the calcium reactor. To determine how much you vary the flow through the reactor and the pH in the reactor. If you need more alkalinity you either lower pH in the reactor or flow more water through the reactor.

I plan on running constant flow and controlling pH to adjust how much alkalinity is added.
Just learned something new. You just convinced me that its not as tough as it seems. #r2r4life

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concept is fairly simple. I'm not sure how hard it will be to put into practice and dial in.
That is the rub. But I think high quality regulators seem to be the ticket. I speak from reading about them. Not experience. That was the clearest, easiest explanation of a calcium reactor I have ever read. Nice!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today was the day. My wife moved out this morning so it is just me and my Labrador, Bailey. I have already started a kitchen remodel today, starting with stripping and repainting the cabinets. I'll also be ripping out the old kitchen tile and replacing it. I figure that will keep me busy for at least a month or two.

I made our old kitchen table and bar which she asked if she could keep and I was glad to let her have them. I started working on making new ones today also. I'm hoping to have the table done by next weekend. The bar will likely wait for awhile once the top is finished. The top is easy but there really isn't a reason to get it done before the floor is replaced.

And please, don't feel sorry for me. I'm doing fine. I'll be keeping busy with my projects and taking care of the dog and my reef. With the house torn apart the last few weeks while we got her packed up and our lives separated I've largely ignored my reef. I mixed up some saltwater to do a change tomorrow and will replace the GFO and GAC. I'll also be cleaning the skimmer.

Despite all that is going on, I am blessed. Life is good.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite all that is going on, I am blessed. Life is good.
Aargh, sorry to hear about your life change.
My wife and I split for nearly 2 years early in our relationship, but got back together back in about 2001.
We've been together now for a total of 25 years this coming March.

Good things come to those who wait ???

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Empathy is not feeling sorry for you friend. We never want to see the ones we care for suffer a loss. We know you will be ok. We just want you to know we care.
and we want you to know we want pictures.
Thank you. I wasn't looking at it from that perspective and greatly appreciate your words.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a nice kitchen. so what changes are you gonna make?
Thank you.

I've already started painting the cabinets white. Hoping to have that done in the next 2 weeks. Then the floor gets ripped up and going in with a light grey wood grained tile. Once that is done I'll be going to a dark grey granite countertop. And then, finally, I'll add a new backsplash.

I expect it to take a month or two but that's ok. My dog doesn't get a vote if the house stays torn apart! :p

Back