OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to try copying your flow programing with my MP40s. I realize they are different from the gyres but I want to see if I get similar results. I know that the growth went from meh to impressive when I added the second MP40.
I find that flow is king. I'm not sure you could mimic what I do with the MP40's, but you can try to copy the concept. Pay attention to velocity at each SPS. You want that water to be moving past it at a very high rate of speed. I think we try to get too fancy with changing speeds and creating chaotic flow patterns. I don't believe the coral cares. It needs velocity to break down the barrier between the coral and water to allow nutrients and chemicals in while removing waste.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that flow is king. I'm not sure you could mimic what I do with the MP40's, but you can try to copy the concept. Pay attention to velocity at each SPS. You want that water to be moving past it at a very high rate of speed. I think we try to get too fancy with changing speeds and creating chaotic flow patterns. I don't believe the coral cares. It needs velocity to break down the barrier between the coral and water to allow nutrients and chemicals in while removing waste.
Yeah, I can see what you mean. I want to try to get all the flow going one way for awhile. Say...an hour or two? Then turn that pump down as low as possible and then turn the other pump on for an hr or two? Or Can you post what your program looks like?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I can see what you mean. I want to try to get all the flow going one way for awhile. Say...an hour or two? Then turn that pump down as low as possible and then turn the other pump on for an hr or two? Or Can you post what your program looks like?
I'm not sure you can get the same impact I do with that style pump, you may have too much water move sideways instead of across the tank, but you can play with it. This is what mine basically looks like, the left gyres are opposite.

1598879812613.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only have 1 LFS in my area now, and they don't accept frags for store credit. I was bringing them to Main Street Aquatics before they closed. Well over 100 frags over 2 months. Really sad they couldn't keep the store open.
It is sad about Mainstreet. I hate that it happened.

But @Brew12, remember, I am trying to fill up a 500 gallon lol. Let me know when you have a large group of frags or even large chunks. I can drive down and and give you “paper credit”. That stuff that has “legal tender for all debts, public and private” on it lol.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sad about Mainstreet. I hate that it happened.

But @Brew12, remember, I am trying to fill up a 500 gallon lol. Let me know when you have a large group of frags or even large chunks. I can drive down and and give you “paper credit”. That stuff that has “legal tender for all debts, public and private” on it lol.
I only have 3 stags I can’t frag yet. Anything else could almost always use being cut back. Just let me know when you will be in the area

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 3 stags I can’t frag yet. Anything else could almost always use being cut back. Just let me know when you will be in the area
Will do and tell those stags to hurry up lol.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do and tell those stags to hurry up lol.
For 2 of the 3, it isn't their fault. I don't have a good spot in my tank for them to thrive. I need to do some serious tile work in the house so I can upgrade to a larger system. Still not sure exactly what route I am going to go down. My house just isn't well set up for a large system. And no new tanks are coming in until the hardwood is gone and tile is down.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you men the standard controller / head unit it ships with? I have a pair of XF250's and there is a 24 hour clock cycle. You should be able to create a somewhat custom pattern unless I'm not understanding it correctly.
Ehhh, i have the advanced controller that ties both together? Maybe i missed the daily schedule when i got them set up? Ill look through the manual tonight.

U

User1

View Badges
Ehhh, i have the advanced controller that ties both together? Maybe i missed the daily schedule when i got them set up? Ill look through the manual tonight.

Here is a video that a member did here a while back that talks about it. Hope I'm not mixing a older gyre with the new ones and it isn't possible... Sorry if so. On my XF250's I can customize a schedule. Not sure if it will help but here you go.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2020 has been a rough year for pretty much everyone and especially so for some of us. Every once in awhile things just come together, and last night was one of those nights. It was a productive day so I was ready for a relaxing night.
The evening was warm and the pool was 88F so enjoyable after the sun went down. My Cubs were playing, and winning. And I had some scrap wood I needed to burn. It was a very quiet and peaceful evening where the problems in the world just went away for a few hours. Haven't been enough of them lately.
1599144307506.png

1599144328823.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2020 has been a rough year for pretty much everyone and especially so for some of us. Every once in awhile things just come together, and last night was one of those nights. It was a productive day so I was ready for a relaxing night.
The evening was warm and the pool was 88F so enjoyable after the sun went down. My Cubs were playing, and winning. And I had some scrap wood I needed to burn. It was a very quiet and peaceful evening where the problems in the world just went away for a few hours. Haven't been enough of them lately.
1599144307506.png

1599144328823.png

Looks awesome really!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1599144307506.png

1599144328823.png
Glad you finally got some peace.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my favorite things is sitting by a fire in my backyard watching something or listening to some music with a drink in hand.

very peaceful indeed
You absolutely get it! I passed on the adult beverage but did have a mix of strawberry banana V8 and lemonade. Trying to work on my health so only drinking on weekends. But a craft beer or some bourbon would have been perfect.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you know I've set a goal to run a 5k in under 25 minutes before I turn 50 next summer. Today was supposed to be my first shot at that goal. Unfortunately, not enough people registered so they canceled the professional timing and used an alternate course that wouldn't block off the roads. This course was just under 3 miles, instead of the 3.1 is was supposed to be. Sad, because I had a much better run than I would have thought possible.
2.96 miles in 21:54. I didn't stop my watch until past the finish line.
1600560833513.png

Back