Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by far the most interested in the Marine Corps air units. Time to phase out the Hornets in favor of the F-35B. Maybe but a couple Advanced Super Hornets? As for the land components maybe time for an upgrade to the Abrams divisions? ;) As far as I know the Corps are still using the M1A1.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Z series bmw? How do you like it? They are supposed to be juiced up miatas is what I've heard.

I'm in ATL now and will be going to the aquarium once COVID things have settled down.

I've been once before and it was pretty amazing.
It is a 2011 Z4 30i and I absolutely love it. It's the first car I've owned where the "sport mode" makes a massive difference. The car is dialed way back in Normal, making it easy to drive in traffic. In Sport the car wants to fly. The crazy thing is that I still get 30mpg+ while doing 85mph on the highway.

If only I had the space for anything larger than a 120! Maybe in the future when I can move to a place on the first floor and enough space I’d definitely want to go 200-220G!
I thought I would have upgraded to a 300g by this time, but life keeps throwing me curve balls. It's looking like a fall 2021 upgrade now. I need to do a lot of tile work in the house before I set up a new aquarium.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking I needed to do an update soon.

Things are starting to get back to normal. I had one more minor setback when I didn't realize my Calcium dosing tube had come disconnected. Fortunately, calcium is much more forgiving than alkalinity.

But, it does look like all coral damage has stopped. The cyano is still there, but not nearly as bad. The monti caps are definitely growing again which is a good sign. I'm back up to over 125ml/day dosing, so no where close to where I was this summer but it's coming back.

I even added 2 new fish. A Longnose Hawkfish and a Diamond Goby. They are settling in nicely.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew I remember you were running a CaRx, not anymore I guess?
It's still attached to my system with water running through it to keep it ready, but the CO2 is turned off so it isn't doing anything.
I'm trying to decide when to bring it back online or if I should switch to my much smaller Avast CaRx which I like better. Not sure how long it will take before the Avast gets too small to keep up.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas everyone!
8FC61F0A-278C-40EA-BC1B-E1D85915C62A.jpeg

267C36E4-263D-4747-B1B1-38EBA495D160.jpeg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas!
@Brew12 i have a question - how do you manage your nitrates and phosphates - I got rid of cyano a couple months ago and there's a small patch coming back so I want to know how to get rid of it.
thanks
a snail
I still have some areas with cyano in areas I can't clean but I use GFO to keep PO4 under 0.1ppm and I typically try and raise NO3 by either letting my filter socks clog and overflow for a few days or by letting my Chaeto pack in and self shade to reduce its growth rate.
I really need to get a conch or 3 to take care of those last spots I am getting.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to take some pictures for a proper update. Things are continuing to improve, which is a nice change. The cyano is almost completely gone other than on the dead coral skeletons I've been too lazy to remove. The sand is staying much cleaner. Aptasia is still a problem but that will take months to resolve if the shrimp do their job. They were sooo small when they were delivered.
The next thing I've tried doing in the past but really need to get a handle on are my BTA's. Pretty sure I have 5 in the tank right now and they are doing a number on my green slimer. It's time for them to go. Had my clowns decided to use them as a host I would let them stay, but it hasn't happened so they are outta here! I need to decide if I want to set up a clown/bta tank or just let the BTA's go.
Otherwise, nothing new is dying and things are growing again. Back up to over 150ml of each 2 part per day so still using less than 1/3 of my peak but it's coming back.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I have 5 in the tank right now and they are doing a number on my green slimer.

Feel your pain, would like to have another BTA but it's just not worth it when they move in on acros... :(

Your shots on post #4,275 are awesome!

U

User1

View Badges
I need to take some pictures for a proper update. Things are continuing to improve, which is a nice change. The cyano is almost completely gone other than on the dead coral skeletons I've been too lazy to remove. The sand is staying much cleaner. Aptasia is still a problem but that will take months to resolve if the shrimp do their job. They were sooo small when they were delivered.
The next thing I've tried doing in the past but really need to get a handle on are my BTA's. Pretty sure I have 5 in the tank right now and they are doing a number on my green slimer. It's time for them to go. Had my clowns decided to use them as a host I would let them stay, but it hasn't happened so they are outta here! I need to decide if I want to set up a clown/bta tank or just let the BTA's go.
Otherwise, nothing new is dying and things are growing again. Back up to over 150ml of each 2 part per day so still using less than 1/3 of my peak but it's coming back.

BTA's...started with one. That was the first mistake. I guess it was lonely so split. Now two. This was in my son's 29 gallon biocube. Between the two they crowded the tank so I bought another 29 gallon cube and moved it. The first BTA split again. Ok, I yield so left it. New tank with the first split, split. So now we are at 4 between the two tanks. We got tired of the two tanks and merged them into a 40 breeder. Not sure which one split but 4 became 5, 5 became 6, gave some away, repeated until we reached a total of 14. Upgraded to a 210 to move them into.

After losing a few from the upgrade I think I am holding steady at 7. Even though the tank was cycled and well into the 4 month mark before merging tanks they didn't like something and we lost a few. Hind sight being 20/20 I should have sold everything in that tank because as you said with the green slimer they wreck havoc on some corals. I've had to remove rocks, break into smaller chunks, and build walls to protect a few of my test acros :)

If I had a safe way to remove them from the rocks I'd probably remove them all. I very well may just remove the rock and replace with a order from TBS. I do not like Pukani rock anyway and this is giving me a reason to do so.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a safe way to remove them from the rocks I'd probably remove them all. I very well may just remove the rock and replace with a order from TBS. I do not like Pukani rock anyway and this is giving me a reason to do so.
The only easy way I've ever found to remove them is to pull the rock they are on out of the water and hold them upside down over a bucket of tank water until they release.
Unfortunately, that isn't possible for the rocks that they have chosen to hang out on. It's like they know!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back