OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basics... got to pay attention to the basics.

I was watching my tank yesterday and it dawned on me that my hammer coral wasn't swaying like it normally does. My fish weren't playing in the gyre flow anymore. I made sure my flow settings were correct, and they were. Then I realized the problem. I hadn't cleaned my gyre's in almost 3 months. So I pulled them apart and gave them a good cleaning last night. What a difference!!!

Flow is ripping through the tank just like it used to. Lots of particulate kicked up that had settled out so I'm guessing my filter socks will be clogging quickly for awhile.

Flow deteriorated so slowly that I never noticed it happening. I need to set a reminder to clean them at least monthly.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basics... got to pay attention to the basics.

I was watching my tank yesterday and it dawned on me that my hammer coral wasn't swaying like it normally does. My fish weren't playing in the gyre flow anymore. I made sure my flow settings were correct, and they were. Then I realized the problem. I hadn't cleaned my gyre's in almost 3 months. So I pulled them apart and gave them a good cleaning last night. What a difference!!!

Flow is ripping through the tank just like it used to. Lots of particulate kicked up that had settled out so I'm guessing my filter socks will be clogging quickly for awhile.

Flow deteriorated so slowly that I never noticed it happening. I need to set a reminder to clean them at least monthly.

I have never run socks, a tank I was maintaining for someone a few years ago nearly over flowed due to a sock issue, full refugium here, no need for socks, I have very few "bits" in the tank. ;)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never run socks, a tank I was maintaining for someone a few years ago nearly over flowed due to a sock issue, full refugium here, no need for socks, I have very few "bits" in the tank. ;)
The way my sump is designed the socks can't cause an overflow. If they clog, water bypasses into the skimmer section. I don't run them all of the time, but I normally do. More than anything, they catch the pieces of nori that my tangs shred and let float away. I do like to run without them at least a few days a month to let the pods from up top work their way into the fuge.

I find if I need to crank my gyres over 30% it means its cleaning time. I only disassemble them once a year or but do pull and run them for an hour or two in vinegar every 3 months or so. Makes a big difference as you know.
I run my XF250's at 80% max. Flow really gets moving when they are clean. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, here is the FTS for May.
DSC_0004.JPG

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange Monti Cap continues to grow nicely with interesting layers.
DSC_0008-3.jpg

You can see I'm going to lose one of these corals. Pretty sure my urchin tore it up a bit. I could likely frag it and save the top but I have 2 of them so figured I would see if it will recover on its own.
DSC_0023.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this guy, I thought you were using something purple :)

dsc_0011-jpg.759618
Ah, that guy is held in place with some 2 part reef putty. It was white, just covered in coralline. I used that on some corals before I found the TLF glue.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh OK I was thinking you were using some magic purple putty ;)
Nope, but I have seen it for sale. Pretty sure BRS carries some.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank was delivered today.
Box.JPG

The good news? No damage during shipping!

tank.JPG

The bad news? Build quality could have been better. The top Eurobrace isn't straight.

Frame.JPG

Where did you get your tank delivered and do you recall the dry weight? It looks like it’s placed on a shipping dock...

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your tank delivered and do you recall the dry weight? It looks like it’s placed on a shipping dock...
I had it delivered to my work so I wouldn't have to worry about being home when it arrived. I believe the dry weight was around 350 pounds give or take.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back