OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people remember, I did a full set of chemistry tests along with a large water change on Saturday, June 9th. I also dosed an iron supplement. The results?
upload_2018-6-14_10-2-47.png

Yup, my chaeto is growing again and the reverse light cycle I run my fuge on is reducing my pH swings. So little of what we do in our tanks produces immediate results. It is pretty sweet to see an immediate positive change to an action we take.
I do wish I had a better understanding on why my system consumes so much iron. I haven't even been harvesting much chaeto.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured it has been awhile since I posted my chemistry numbers, so here they are as of this morning.

Salinity: 1.026
pH 8.2
Alk: 7.4
Calc: 410
NO3: 10
PO4: .07
Mg: 1450

Everything in the tank is still doing really well. The only minor issue is vermited snails and it doesn't seem like there is much to be done about them. Oh, and still not being able to catch the 6-line.

Alk isn't as stable as I want it to be. I can keep the fluctuations between 7 and 8 but can't seem to get it dialed in. Still making minor tweaks. I am considering changing the way I dose alk and calc. Right now I dose over 24 hours. I'm thinking of only dosing the 2 part during the lights on period and only let the alk dose over 24 hours.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happiness is:

A message from Fedex saying your package was delivered. ;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot

Yesterday mine just said Customer not available and then they took it back to deliver the next day.. I’m not home the next day either..... ugh now have to go to them to pick it up. I guess this prevent those mail snatches but I really wanted my shiny new dual Tunze Powerheads!!!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday mine just said Customer not available and then they took it back to deliver the next day.. I’m not home the next day either..... ugh now have to go to them to pick it up. I guess this prevent those mail snatches but I really wanted my shiny new dual Tunze Powerheads!!!
Thank goodness it wasn't a livestock order!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he push stuff around in your tank? I think I want to get one but heard they can move things around in the sand

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he push stuff around in your tank? I think I want to get one but heard they can move things around in the sand
He does. That is a gorgorian he is trying to push around. Fortunately, I don't have much that is small on my sand. It's mostly rocks with zoas on them.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a lot of time this weekend with my controller and lights. Updated the firmware and started doing some programming. Some of it was necessary to retain online functionality but I also did some work to make changing light setting easier. I haven't taken advantage of it yet, but in the future I will be able to fairly easily set up my lights for pictures, and then switch them back to coral growing mode. Hopefully that will help get some better pictures.

But.. here are a few...
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0012-2.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I had to play since I can set up my lights with the touch of one button. Excuse the fact that my tank hasn't been cleaned in almost 2 weeks. :oops:
At least I did give the glass a quick cleaning. Completely untouched photo....
DSC_0096.JPG

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very minor editing on these. The fish were hiding since I went from sunset to daylight on them! :rolleyes:
I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow when I don't scare them with the bright lights.
DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've posted some eye candy, but I don't think I've done a good job updating my thread with what I feel is my red light issue. I had been running all the channels on my Mitras LX7206's at 80% thinking it gave me a ton of PAR. I've since learned that not all PAR is created equal. Some work by @Sallstrom specifically has shown that too much red can cause stunted coral growth and less polyp extension.

I have since changed my light settings so that the blues and violets are still at 80%, the white channels are at 40% and the red and green channels are at 60%. I made these changes a week ago and am already seeing a difference in polyp extension and an increase in Alk consumption.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've posted some eye candy, but I don't think I've done a good job updating my thread with what I feel is my red light issue. I had been running all the channels on my Mitras LX7206's at 80% thinking it gave me a ton of PAR. I've since learned that not all PAR is created equal. Some work by @Sallstrom specifically has shown that too much red can cause stunted coral growth and less polyp extension.

I have since changed my light settings so that the blues and violets are still at 80%, the white channels are at 40% and the red and green channels are at 60%. I made these changes a week ago and am already seeing a difference in polyp extension and an increase in Alk consumption.

That would be IMO - too much red in contrast to other wavelengths (probably blue) could cause stunted coral growth. We have corals doing well in red at PAR over 100, but then there's also PAR 500 with other wavelengths over the same area of the tank. So I think there is a lot to learn in how to combine the wavelengths (when it comes to use of red diodes for corals).
Great to hear you've found a light recipe that works! :)

/ David

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ll get my new mitras lightbar 2 this week I hope - time to do experiment. However not 660 nm red - 630 nm instead.

This with polyp extension. Why do the corals extension their polyps sometime when it is lot of light (or certain type of lights). That they extend their polyps when it is food in the water - that´s one ting - but why do they do it more in certain light regimes? I have an idea - but I want yours before I speak out :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea - but I want yours before I speak out

The only thing I could think of is that maybe the polyps are more sensitive to high PAR and can be damaged if extended under the bright red lighting. I guess it could be that with so much PAR from red sources the coral is over saturated with light and does not need the polyps for additional nutrition.

Those are my rather uneducated guesses.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back