OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this, my flame pecks everything, she steals food particles or bugs, she was the main topic of discussion when I bought the trachy. ;)
Did you pull her or did she end up not being much of a problem?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. came home expecting the worst with the Trachy. It is closed up again but I see no signs of damage. Could it be closing up because of to much light and not the nipping? How much damage should I expect to see if the flame angel is a problem?

Again, I'm seeing no nipping even after watching the last hour, just like last night.

Not sure exactly how to proceed. :confused: Anyone have advice to offer?

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the nipping. Damage won’t be too apparent until the Trachy starts slowly receding. For whatever reason, it’s hard for flames to resist such corals. The problem is, once they get a taste, you will slowly but surely start seeing them tasting every coral in the tank :(

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the nipping. Damage won’t be too apparent until the Trachy starts slowly receding. For whatever reason, it’s hard for flames to resist such corals. The problem is, once they get a taste, you will slowly but surely start seeing them tasting every coral in the tank :(

Good to know. It will be safe here for awhile
9974515b0c5b86ff9b845e74c6e60cf4.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call! Watch the flame closely now for acquiring new tastes.
Thanks. I'm hoping that I am over-reacting. It is possible that he was picking bugs or algae off of it. It didn't look like he grabbed the coral at all but I don't want to take that chance.
The coral will be safe in the box until Saturday when I can put it back in the open and spend a few hours watching it. I think I'll set up my Gopro so I can film any interactions. That way I can post the video and get more opinions on if this is innocent behavior or destructive picking. I do wish I had thought about the acclimation box last night.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll set up my Gopro so I can film any interactions. That way I can post the video and get more opinions on if this is innocent behavior or destructive picking.

Great idea. Stream it and we can watch it in shifts. :)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if I want more people to follow my build thread I need to get a trachy!

That seems to be the trend here lately!

Maybe there will be one in my future [emoji2]

It is either that or smoke pork shoulder

Thanks. I'm hoping that I am over-reacting. It is possible that he was picking bugs or algae off of it. It didn't look like he grabbed the coral at all but I don't want to take that chance.
The coral will be safe in the box until Saturday when I can put it back in the open and spend a few hours watching it. I think I'll set up my Gopro so I can film any interactions. That way I can post the video and get more opinions on if this is innocent behavior or destructive picking. I do wish I had thought about the acclimation box last night.

Good call. In such case it is better to over-react and take precaution.
Honestly, I would have put the angel in the box.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is either that or smoke pork shoulder

Good call. In such case it is better to over-react and take precaution.
Honestly, I would have put the angel in the box.
I would rather have put the angel in the box, but the coral swims a heck of a lot slower! ;)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's beautiful. She was probably just giving it kisses.
I wish I was confident you were correct with this! She may have looked at it as a gourmet dinner! ;Wideyed

I should probably delete that second photo. I just took quick phone pics this morning. Didn't realize that one was so blurry.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200+ par for 6 hours... sadly, I'm going to have to blame the centropyge. Beautiful fish that eat corals.

20180808_181655.jpg
I'm still wondering why it isn't open more like it was this morning. I feel you are right about the angel, but I expected to come home and find it completely open. It's about half way between last night and this morning.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back