OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same issue. Fine at 700. Once I put gyres above 30%, gurgles.

I can run Taylor’s drop in replacement with a full anti-sync gyre flow at 70% each abd it doesn’t make a sound.

My sand hates it, but it’s as silent as the day I installed it.

You wont regret it!
Ah.. I didn't know you had one of his. I'm even more confident I can make it work now!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah.. I didn't know you had one of his. I'm even more confident I can make it work now!
I have a post up in my thread, but the standalone post I made was a little too critical about the shadow abd it got deleted. I complained about that and had to back peddle in order to keep my account. That’s a theme, and a reason synergy overflows are still popular, but you join a sizeable and distinguished group of people who made the switch. We just can’t openly talk about it.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know... no pictures yet and may not happen today. I realized my gyres were in desperate need of cleaning so I've been working on that. Unfortunately, because I clean them in a very lazy way, I get a lot of particulate in my system. With the low sump flow I'm not sure the tank will clear up enough for quality pictures before the lights start going blue. Third pump is soaking now.

Kalkwasser is mixed and topped off. ATO is topped off. RODI storage containers are almost refilled. Only thing I was planning on doing that I haven't yet is the GFO and Carbon reactors. Not sure it will happen today.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know... no pictures yet and may not happen today. I realized my gyres were in desperate need of cleaning so I've been working on that. Unfortunately, because I clean them in a very lazy way, I get a lot of particulate in my system. With the low sump flow I'm not sure the tank will clear up enough for quality pictures before the lights start going blue. Third pump is soaking now.

Kalkwasser is mixed and topped off. ATO is topped off. RODI storage containers are almost refilled. Only thing I was planning on doing that I haven't yet is the GFO and Carbon reactors. Not sure it will happen today.
Busy busy busy

You have 2 advanced controllers for the 3 gyres or do an icecap/apex system?

I’d love it if programming the advanced controller could be done on a pc the transferred via an sd card, they even have a slot for it. I want to get super advanced with the program- multiple wave actions, quiet periods, gyres etc in one 24 hour period but setting it up in the custom program on the controller is a pain in the butt

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@syne
Busy busy busy

You have 2 advanced controllers for the 3 gyres or do an icecap/apex system?

I’d love it if programming the advanced controller could be done on a pc the transferred via an sd card, they even have a slot for it. I want to get super advanced with the program- multiple wave actions, quiet periods, gyres etc in one 24 hour period but setting it up in the custom program on the controller is a pain in the butt
I do the 4 icecap's with my GHL. Still pretty limited in what I can do, but it's better than anything I could do with the controllers that came with the XF250's.

Very pleased with the results. I've found that getting a gyre established for at least 10 minutes with the other side pumps off does wonders.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@syne

I do the 4 icecap's with my GHL. Still pretty limited in what I can do, but it's better than anything I could do with the controllers that came with the XF250's.

Very pleased with the results. I've found that getting a gyre established for at least 10 minutes with the other side pumps off does wonders.
That’s exactly the sort of programming I want to add.

When do you run the single gyre flow? Morning, evening? Or does it not matter as long as you get some full tank circulation going?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly the sort of programming I want to add.

When do you run the single gyre flow? Morning, evening? Or does it not matter as long as you get some full tank circulation going?
This is the flow for my 2 right gyres. I had to use a lighting channel to do the programming in the GHL. Kinda odd.
1571514354734.png

And my 2 left gyres.
1571514427754.png

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing Kalkwasser through your ATO, or dosing pump?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing Kalkwasser through your ATO, or dosing pump?
Dosing pump. I dose 20ml at a time, 70 times a day.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a synergy reef upgraded also brew
I was actually the first one to convert after mixer told me It was my fault his overflow didn’t work my post were also deleted

tylor made mine and it’s a real easy swap out

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the flow for my 2 right gyres. I had to use a lighting channel to do the programming in the GHL. Kinda odd.
1571514354734.png

And my 2 left gyres.
1571514427754.png
Can you just drag and drop those time-points and adjust the pattern?

If it’s that easy, I might look into an icecap controller.

Although, I can probably do that program in the advanced controller user custom profile.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just drag and drop those time-points and adjust the pattern?

If it’s that easy, I might look into an icecap controller.

Although, I can probably do that program in the advanced controller user custom profile.

Thanks!!
I programmed it into a GHL lighting channel. It's actually easier to type them into matrix for me, but there are a few ways to do it. Do you have a GHL Profilux?
So you have four gyre xf-250’s in a 182g?
I do. It wasn't that 2 didn't provide enough flow, they couldn't do the right pattern. With the pumps being around 12" wide too much flow went sideways instead of straight. By putting 2 of them side by side I get a nice wall of flow across the tank.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I programmed it into a GHL lighting channel. It's actually easier to type them into matrix for me, but there are a few ways to do it. Do you have a GHL Profilux?

I do. It wasn't that 2 didn't provide enough flow, they couldn't do the right pattern. With the pumps being around 12" wide too much flow went sideways instead of straight. By putting 2 of them side by side I get a nice wall of flow across the tank.
I have an apex and the advanced controller. No icecaps.

That makes sense with the flow. You don’t think having the sides come out less than straight adds to the flow chaos? It sounds like you have a very uniform straight flow- but I guess you get a lot of chaos when the flows clash, right?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex and the advanced controller. No icecaps.

That makes sense with the flow. You don’t think having the sides come out less than straight adds to the flow chaos? It sounds like you have a very uniform straight flow- but I guess you get a lot of chaos when the flows clash, right?
I feel that chaotic flow is counterproductive anywhere but at the coral/water interface. It will reduce velocity away from the coral and we need that velocity to penetrate to the coral. When straight flow hits a coral it will get all kinds of turbulent, anyway.
I do feel some chaotic flow is useful for removing algae/detritus and changing angles, so yes, I get that when the flows clash as one ramps up then the other down.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for stopping by my build thread! You will find the basics of my equipment and fish stock list here on the first post. The 2nd post is updated with FTS's so you can visually see how my system has advanced over time.
1565789088290.png

Tank: 187g SCA Aquarium, 60"x30"x24"

Sump: Trigger Sapphire 39

Overflow: Synergy Reef 16" Shadow

Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Pro 1500

Flow: 4 Maxpect Gyre XF250 - two on each end

Skimmer: Deltec SCA 1660
Swabbie neck cleaner by Avast Marine
Davy Jones Skimmate Locker by Avast Marine

Lighting: 3 Mitras LX7206 LED's.
Kessil H380 over fuge

Controller: Profilux 4

Doser: GHL Doser 2.1
Channel 1 - Kalk - 5g Trigger Sapphire ATO container (20 ml x 70 doses)
Channel 2 - Alk - 3.5L Trigger Saphire dosing container (16.5ml x 12 doses)
Channel 3 - Calc - 3.5L Trigger Saphire dosing container (16.5ml x 12 doses)
Channel 4 - Mag - 2.5L Trigger Saphire dosing container (8ml x 12 doses)
Doser: GHL Doser 2.1 for KHDirector
Channel 5 - Tank water sample
Channel 6 - KHDirector reagent
Channel 7 - KHDirector waste pump out
Channel 8 - Chroma by UWC (7ml x1 dose)

ATO: Tuze 3155 with 10g Trigger Sapphire reservoir.

Feeding: 3 Cubes PE mysis and 1/2 sheet nori in the morning. Piece of LRS fish frenzy in the evening. 6 scoops BRS Reef Chili 2 times per week. Every 2 weeks add 15mL of UWC Vibrant.

20g water changes every 2 weeks.

Livestock:
Regal Tang
Yellow Tang x2
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Magnificent Foxface
Ocellaris Clownfish x 2
Yellow Tail Damsel x 4
Coral Beauty
Court Jester Goby
Nice tank !

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the chaotic flow, are you talking about SPS? My understanding is that pure straight flow is bad for LPS or softies since it would push the polyps to one side and leave it stressed- varying the flow let’s the hammers or torch arms wave around.

I could be talking completely out of my butt though because I know a lot of this can be counter-intuitive, lol

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the chaotic flow, are you talking about SPS? My understanding is that pure straight flow is bad for LPS or softies since it would push the polyps to one side and leave it stressed- varying the flow let’s the hammers or torch arms wave around.

I could be talking completely out of my *** though because I know a lot of this can be counter-intuitive, lol
Nope, you are spot on with that. I don't have many LPS but the ones I do have are tucked between rocks to protect them from the strong flow. I will say that I thought I would lose one or two that I can't move but they have adapted and started to thrive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back