Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice dosing containers! Where did you get those? and in different sizes too?!
Brs had them for sale for black friday I believe. By monday there was only triple stacks available, those quads sold out.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs had them for sale for black friday I believe. By monday there was only triple stacks available, those quads sold out.
Must have been a different product. I have 5 different containers there. A 5g ATO container for dosing Kalk, 2x 3.5L containers for alk and calc, and 2x 2.5L containers for mg and a spare right now.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be taking more tank pictures this weekend but I do have a surprisingly positive update. My poor Trachy has been slowly withering away. The one spot it was doing well in my tank wasn't working for it any longer. It enjoyed the barriers from high flow but the monti cap growing above it was shading it to much, if I had to guess anyway.
After watching flow patterns in my tank by feeding at various points in the day I thought I found an area with higher light but lower flow. I moved it there on Sunday and am already seeing improvement. Almost all of the bare skeleton is covered again and its starting to puff. I should have moved it weeks ago.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have been a different product. I have 5 different containers there. A 5g ATO container for dosing Kalk, 2x 3.5L containers for alk and calc, and 2x 2.5L containers for mg and a spare right now.
I didnt look at it long enough apparently. I went back and stared and realize my error. @Fudsey where were you on that one? Ur job is to keep me from letting everyone know how oblivious and blind I am... what do I pay u for pops? Sheeeeesh... cant get any good help these days...

I'll be taking more tank pictures this weekend but I do have a surprisingly positive update. My poor Trachy has been slowly withering away. The one spot it was doing well in my tank wasn't working for it any longer. It enjoyed the barriers from high flow but the monti cap growing above it was shading it to much, if I had to guess anyway.
After watching flow patterns in my tank by feeding at various points in the day I thought I found an area with higher light but lower flow. I moved it there on Sunday and am already seeing improvement. Almost all of the bare skeleton is covered again and its starting to puff. I should have moved it weeks ago.
I know the feeling. Lost a trachy I got on a labor day sale after a 2 month steady decline... sounds like theres still a chance for yours tho. Pulling hard for ya... they are so unique and compliment almost any reef. Keep us updated. How long have u had it?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling. Lost a trachy I got on a labor day sale after a 2 month steady decline... sounds like theres still a chance for yours tho. Pulling hard for ya... they are so unique and compliment almost any reef. Keep us updated. How long have u had it?
I've had it for around 14 months. Its never thrived in my tank but I blame that on it being a mixed reef. I'm amazed at how well its recovered in the last 3 days. I think it may start thriving if the early indications mean anything.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly sure you know I went MIA for a while and came back now, @Brew12 . Happy to come back and see how well your system is doing. Some great videos you shot. If I recall correctly, shortly before I went missing, you were having some algae problems that led you to the idea of possibly shutting down and restarting your tank. Looks like you averted that process and couldn't be happier for you!

In an unrelated question; I have seen you offer to help @dantimdad with the store and have to say I'm surprised he hasn't taken you up on the offer. I mean, afterall, he is supposed to be opening next week, right? :p :D :p

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly sure you know I went MIA for a while and came back now, @Brew12 . Happy to come back and see how well your system is doing. Some great videos you shot. If I recall correctly, shortly before I went missing, you were having some algae problems that led you to the idea of possibly shutting down and restarting your tank. Looks like you averted that process and couldn't be happier for you!

In an unrelated question; I have seen you offer to help @dantimdad with the store and have to say I'm surprised he hasn't taken you up on the offer. I mean, afterall, he is supposed to be opening next week, right? :p :D :p
I'm glad you are back! I hope life is treating you well.

My system seems to be doing great. As for the algae, it was a combination of things that turned the tide of the battle. I added 3 short spine sea urchins along with over 100 more snails and 20 hermits. I also increased the amount of iron I was dosing to the tank. I have been growing Chaeto like a weed since then. That started a gradual improvement where over 2 months I just started seeing less and less of the algae until I stopped noticing it.
I have 2 related tasks I plan on starting today. First is to pull a bunch of Chaeto out, my refugium is packed again. I am also going to increase the main photo period of my tank. I only run peak lighting for 5 hours a day and am going to kick that up to 7 hours. I've left it short because of the algae but no reason for it anymore.

I wish I would have been able to help him with the store opening. I've been incredibly busy this fall. Almost 5 weeks of travel have thrown me way behind when it comes to day to day tasks. I don't see things slowing down until after Christmas.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was hoping today would be a little work on the tank and then some pictures. Turning out to be a LOT of work on the tank. This morning I decided to update the firmware on my Profilux. It was 5 revisions behind. I tried doing it 2 weeks ago and ran into problems. Figured out what I had done wrong and got it to work this morning.
Of course, here is where the #honestyinreefing comes in. I had made backups 2 weeks ago and hadn't changed any programming since so figured it would be good. Besides, I've never had to use a restore file when doing firmware upgrades. You see where this is going, right?
Yup, the Profilux lost its program. Not a big deal, just needed to upload the saved files. Except that I forgot I had connected my brand new Profilux expansion box this week. I had to disconnect it, reboot the P4, and then it took 3 more tries to upload my saved files. Almost everything was restored but my probe data. Of course, that messed up all my heater programming since I use virtual probes that disappeared. That wasn't too bad to fix but everything also lost calibration. I've spent a good part of the morning recalibrating sensors. I believe I've also lost all my historical trends. ;Blackeye

Lesson learned. ALWAYS create a new backup file prior to running a firmware upgrade regardless of if you think nothing has been changed.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you are back! I hope life is treating you well.

My system seems to be doing great. As for the algae, it was a combination of things that turned the tide of the battle. I added 3 short spine sea urchins along with over 100 more snails and 20 hermits. I also increased the amount of iron I was dosing to the tank. I have been growing Chaeto like a weed since then. That started a gradual improvement where over 2 months I just started seeing less and less of the algae until I stopped noticing it.
I have 2 related tasks I plan on starting today. First is to pull a bunch of Chaeto out, my refugium is packed again. I am also going to increase the main photo period of my tank. I only run peak lighting for 5 hours a day and am going to kick that up to 7 hours. I've left it short because of the algae but no reason for it anymore.

I wish I would have been able to help him with the store opening. I've been incredibly busy this fall. Almost 5 weeks of travel have thrown me way behind when it comes to day to day tasks. I don't see things slowing down until after Christmas.
There will still be work to do. :)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything on the tank is fixed so time for some pictures.

I'm amazed at how much better this Trachy is doing. A week ago I thought it was a goner, now no skeleton is showing.
Trachy.jpg

He stopped by and asked to have his picture taken.
Blenny.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted some recently, but heck, why not post some more like this.
Edit: I just realized my tank turned 2 years old this past Tuesday.

Quick FTS.... I should have cleaned the glass first. :oops:

FTS1.jpg

And how about 2 views from my office chair.

FTSL.jpg

FTS.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that floating shelf. Might try that in my display macro fuge since my display is viewable from both long sides, I can’t do it there. How did you do it?

And good save on your Trachy!
The shelf was a lot of work. I think it was 4 separate pieces that I used superglue and putty type epoxy to put together. I also drilled and inserted acrylic rods to hold the top in place but those snapped and I had to redo the top section.
I think the reason it worked was because I ground the mating surfaces flat prior to assembly so there was a lot of surface area.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted some recently, but heck, why not post some more like this.
Edit: I just realized my tank turned 2 years old this past Tuesday.

Quick FTS.... I should have cleaned the glass first. :oops:

FTS1.jpg

And how about 2 views from my office chair.

FTSL.jpg

FTS.jpg

A very happy 2 years to you and the reef! Your FTS's are a dream for any reefer.

And sheeesh what a nightmare scenario with the profilux programming Murphy visit. There goes your Saturday! Hopefully today u got to relax and enjoy some football.

Trachy is looking like a fat kid ready for cake! So happy it recovered, and quickly as well! Looks good!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew, the tank is looking gorgeous!
A very happy 2 years to you and the reef! Your FTS's are a dream for any reefer.

And sheeesh what a nightmare scenario with the profilux programming Murphy visit. There goes your Saturday! Hopefully today u got to relax and enjoy some football.

Trachy is looking like a fat kid ready for cake! So happy it recovered, and quickly as well! Looks good!
Thank you both!

I am absolutely thrilled with where the tank is at its second birthday. Not to mention excited about where it is going to go in the next year! The main goal for this year is to focus on my non-purple staghorns. And wrasses.... I love my wrasses.

Much of my Saturday was lost, but it's all working now. I would have enjoyed the football more on Sunday if my Bears would have won, but it is what it is. ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back