OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is crazy! 11 days straight is toooo much! I suppose it has kept your mind focused and busy. Are you off all weekend?
A bigger calcium reactor? Wow!
I am off all weekend. Taking 3 days off next week, too. I was busy today. Went to Top Golf with a buddy and then picked up, unloaded, and stacked a 1/2 Rick of firewood. Just now sat down to relax. Tomorrow the kitchen floor tile comes out.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are gonna need a fish room soon!
If I was brave enough to get an 8 or 10 foot tank in through a window, I would set up a reefing/sitting room. While it would be possible to do, I'm not sure it is worth the effort. I have a rather large bedroom in the house that is completely unused.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a "Rick"??

lol
Converts from a cord in log pile heights and lengths.

Generally speaking if the logs are cut 16 inches long and are stacked 4 feet high by 8 feet long, a rick will be 1/3 of a cord.

If these same logs were cut 24 inches long, the rick would equal 1/2 cord.

Don't know the formula for I-65 south down past the TN state line... :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a "Rick"??
lol
Converts from a cord in log pile heights and lengths.

Generally speaking if the logs are cut 16 inches long and are stacked 4 feet high by 8 feet long, a rick will be 1/3 of a cord.

If these same logs were cut 24 inches long, the rick would equal 1/2 cord.

Don't know the formula for I-65 south down past the TN state line... :p
Yup... best way to think about it is that a Rick is a stack of wood that is 4ft by 8ft regardless of the length.
And actually stacked just shy of a full Rick. I'm feeling it this morning!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99DBC28F-D5A7-4967-A931-2EE919101BCA.jpeg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to catch a break lately. I'm not sure how bad this latest issue is going to be. I went to bed last night with my new calcium reactor stable at a pH of 6.45 and an alkalinity of 9.1.
This morning I woke up with my calcium reactor at 6.19 and an alkalinity of 12.9. I mixing up water for a change, but I'll be limited to around 25 gallons. Just hoping this doesn't crash my tank.
I made a very foolish mistake. I programmed the solenoid for the CO2 isolation to close if Alkalinity got over 10 or pH got below 6.3. I never tested to make sure that the solenoid actually stops the CO2 flow, and it didn't. You can hear it clicking, but my guess is that it has enough leak by that it can feed the reactor even when de-energized.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see from my tank pH trend how bad it was. For some reason the CO2 flow rate jumped around midnight. My tank pH was in the 7.3 range. Not good! But, 25g water change is done. The pH is 7.8 and climbing... a few coral have slimed up a little but nothing is shedding flesh yet.
1584280384603.png

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck hopefully nothing happens.
Oh man! Fingers crossed. What kinda of redundancy could be worked into that?
Thanks you both.

I think it is going to be ok. My alk test at 12.9 was over an hour before I isolated the CaRx so I figure it peaked around 14dkh. My water change dropped it to 12.6. I'm testing every 3 hours and in the last test it dropped by 0.5dkh so my demand is high. I'm considering that a good sign. If they were dying I don't think they would be sucking up alk this quickly.

#honestyinreefing
So what kind of redundancy could I work in? I have a redundant valve sitting on my desk, I just haven't installed it. It will take 5 minutes to install and 10 minutes to program. No excuse for not having done it.

So... what actually happened? I must have damaged the 1/4" line where the outlet flow valve is installed and the line split and let the valve fall out. This put full flow through the reactor along with dropping the pressure so it increased the CO2 flow rate. Not sure anything worse could have happened since my backup protection failed. I got lucky.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how about another issue today?

#honestyincooking
My old weber propane grill died last year and I replaced it with the same model. The rotisserie was supposed to work on the new one. I finally installed it on the new grill and it became obvious the new grill is around 2" wider than the old one. No go on the rotisserie.

Had to drop back and punt. Fired up the smoker, spatchcocked it, and have it cooking now. Some day life is going to get a little bit easier, today is obviously not that day.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how about another issue today?

#honestyincooking
My old weber propane grill died last year and I replaced it with the same model. The rotisserie was supposed to work on the new one. I finally installed it on the new grill and it became obvious the new grill is around 2" wider than the old one. No go on the rotisserie.

Had to drop back and punt. Fired up the smoker, spatchcocked it, and have it cooking now. Some day life is going to get a little bit easier, today is obviously not that day.

Glad your reef is going to be okay, better days are ahead.

Hope work, tosses you a break as well.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your reef is going to be okay, better days are ahead.

Hope work, tosses you a break as well.
Thank you. I'm being patient.

I finally have the opportunity to take some vacation time. I only work Monday and Tuesday next week. I plan on laying new tile in the kitchen on Wed through Fri and relax for the weekend. Hopefully the weather will allow me to get some fishing in.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you had the kamoer hooked up the the avast reactor. Did you use it as the feed pump or did you keep the dc pump and put the kamoer on the out put line of the reactor?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you had the kamoer hooked up the the avast reactor. Did you use it as the feed pump or did you keep the dc pump and put the kamoer on the out put line of the reactor?
I tried both ways. Needless to say I'm going to put it on the new CaRx when I start it back up.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked both ways or did one way work better then the other. I'm run a avast reactor also and the 50 mls isn't cutting it anymore. I ordered a VX1 so I can up the flow through the reactor. Just trying to decide how to set it up.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked both ways or did one way work better then the other. I'm run a avast reactor also and the 50 mls isn't cutting it anymore. I ordered a VX1 so I can up the flow through the reactor. Just trying to decide how to set it up.
It didn't seem to matter much either way. Pushing was probably a little better because my high demand, but the differences were minor.

Back