Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DB25AD9C-19F0-456D-B772-BC1D404537BA.jpeg

View from the other side. Need to finish building a kitchen table now.
Tile is one thing I have always hated doing, although I am now considering doing my entire basement with radiant heat and tile for the flooring.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like I got lucky. No signs of anything dying and once alk dropped below 10 the rate of consumption exploded.
At 10dkH I started dosing every hour, 6ml per dose. 3 hours later it had dropped to 9.6dKH and another 3 hours got it to 9.4dKH with my target at 9.5dKH. I thought it was starting to stabilize and then 3 hours after that it dropped to 8.6dKH. So I doubled my dosing rate to 12ml/hr and the KH Director added another 6ml per hour which allowed it to slowly rise to 9.5dKH overnight were it is now.
Working at slowly bringing my CaRx back on line now.
1584448171688.png
So cool to see data like that.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kitchen looks fantastic. Beautiful tile work. Love love love it! It is a butt kicking job for sure. How are your back and knees doing !!!! LOL. I was so sore for days after we did our floor and I was just a helper!
Thank you! My back has recovered but my knees still have their struggles. I'm very pleased with how most of it turned out. Not perfect, but not bad. Not to mention that I'm still under $1k invested so far. My complete renovation will be under $4k and should raise the value of my home by at least $30k. I have a lot of life decisions to make. I like this house, but 2100sq feet is a lot for a guy and his dog. I just don't need this much space. Trying to get it ready to sell if I chose to.
I am even considering moving to Wisconsin when this virus stuff passes. All my family is there and I shouldn't have a hard time finding a job in that area. So many changes

U

User1

View Badges
We downsized from 4100sq (two story) to a single story tick over 2500sq. Best decision we made. The only negative effect is that it is difficult to host the larger holiday events. Previously it wasn't a big deal to feed and host 30 to 40 people. Now it is a bit more difficult and was our biggest challenge when picking our new home. Never could find a single story the size that would do what we wanted without building our own. Finally said we don't buy a house for a couple events a year and that solved that issue.

We'll solve the issue by designing the backyard to extend the living outside. The only problem is that with my hip surgery and recovery has put that on hold. Unless we pay to have it done it isn't going to be for at least another year :). Maybe one good thing to come from the virus situation is that interest rates will drop and I can knock it out with a pool and other hardscape then let me finish bbq/firepit and few things I can do.

Side note - if that was you asking the question on Thales podcast about Ca reactors and when. I thought you already had one? I've always looked at it two ways. Design it in at the beginning and part of the overall budget. That way it is there when you need it down the road. On the other hand I believe it makes sense when daily dosing becomes cost prohibitive from the quality DIY solutions. This way it isn't tied to tank size or maturity but rather when the cost of dosing gets out of hand.

Example: I can dose 40 ml ESV 2 part daily and it is reasonable. I can lower the cost by buying in bulk say BRS pharma and stretch the delay of a Ca reactor for even longer. I can even DIY TM AFO and have it be cost effective. However, once that daily demand increases I'd make the switch just to make quality of life easier while also reducing the overall monthly cost.

Hope all is well.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to reduce the stress and not make to many big life changes at one time! Great job on the kitchen, now you are ready for the counters. Did you pick a product yet?
I did. I am going with a fairly dark gray granite. Hopefully it will be installed in 3 weeks.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We downsized from 4100sq (two story) to a single story tick over 2500sq. Best decision we made. The only negative effect is that it is difficult to host the larger holiday events. Previously it wasn't a big deal to feed and host 30 to 40 people. Now it is a bit more difficult and was our biggest challenge when picking our new home. Never could find a single story the size that would do what we wanted without building our own. Finally said we don't buy a house for a couple events a year and that solved that issue.

We'll solve the issue by designing the backyard to extend the living outside. The only problem is that with my hip surgery and recovery has put that on hold. Unless we pay to have it done it isn't going to be for at least another year :). Maybe one good thing to come from the virus situation is that interest rates will drop and I can knock it out with a pool and other hardscape then let me finish bbq/firepit and few things I can do.

Side note - if that was you asking the question on Thales podcast about Ca reactors and when. I thought you already had one? I've always looked at it two ways. Design it in at the beginning and part of the overall budget. That way it is there when you need it down the road. On the other hand I believe it makes sense when daily dosing becomes cost prohibitive from the quality DIY solutions. This way it isn't tied to tank size or maturity but rather when the cost of dosing gets out of hand.

Example: I can dose 40 ml ESV 2 part daily and it is reasonable. I can lower the cost by buying in bulk say BRS pharma and stretch the delay of a Ca reactor for even longer. I can even DIY TM AFO and have it be cost effective. However, once that daily demand increases I'd make the switch just to make quality of life easier while also reducing the overall monthly cost.

Hope all is well.
I started up a calcium reactor recently. The 2 part was getting expensive and I had to mix up a gallon a week. It was a pain. Much happier now that the calcium reactor is running smoothly. So much less work!

I'm not one to have big parties and I have no family in the area so I don't worry about entertaining. The only time space has ever been an issue is when I have hosted the local reef club. Otherwise, most get togethers are out back by the pool. I wouldn't mind a 3 bedroom with a bigger kitchen and backyard instead of this 4 bedroom with a small backyard.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My back has recovered but my knees still have their struggles. I'm very pleased with how most of it turned out. Not perfect, but not bad. Not to mention that I'm still under $1k invested so far. My complete renovation will be under $4k and should raise the value of my home by at least $30k. I have a lot of life decisions to make. I like this house, but 2100sq feet is a lot for a guy and his dog. I just don't need this much space. Trying to get it ready to sell if I chose to.
I am even considering moving to Wisconsin when this virus stuff passes. All my family is there and I shouldn't have a hard time finding a job in that area. So many changes
Even DIY home improvements are expensive. Just master bath project of painting and replacing the faucets and other hardware has cost us 1k +. I am not helping at all really. I am leaving my husband to it bc he seems to need a project right now.

U

User1

View Badges
Even DIY home improvements are expensive. Just master bath project of painting and replacing the faucets and other hardware has cost us 1k +. I am not helping at all really. I am leaving my husband to it bc he seems to need a project right now.

How are you not helping? You are helping more than you know from support, to advise, to errands, to food, to band aids, extra hands, and the list goes on and on. While they sawdust is flowing so are other things that make the house run smoothly.

Hell - your smile helps :). See - you are helping :D

U

User1

View Badges
I started up a calcium reactor recently. The 2 part was getting expensive and I had to mix up a gallon a week. It was a pain. Much happier now that the calcium reactor is running smoothly. So much less work!

I'm not one to have big parties and I have no family in the area so I don't worry about entertaining. The only time space has ever been an issue is when I have hosted the local reef club. Otherwise, most get togethers are out back by the pool. I wouldn't mind a 3 bedroom with a bigger kitchen and backyard instead of this 4 bedroom with a small backyard.

Exactly what I would have thought. 2 part or more can get pretty expensive has the tank matures and corals are healthy. It is a good problem to have. I personally do not have one but did factor in the cost into my build. Assuming I do things correctly and the tank fairies smile upon me maybe I'll be able to spend that money. If not, well, it goes to a nice Cab (wine) :)

Agreed on the kitchen and yard. During our house hunting the main focus was on the kitchen and great room for this reason. Backyard was going to be all sweat equity. Just delayed at the moment. Everything you have done looks really great. Keep up the great work!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet baby jesus.
I've got to get in there and cut a bunch back again. It's going to hurt, but I'll probably throw away a few pieces of that purple slimer that I could cut 20 frags that are 1" and close to that with the orange digi. Not to mention 20 or 30 inches worth of monti caps. The shading is bad again and I just cut them back a few weeks ago. But, with Steve's store shut down and social distancing in place, I have nothing I can do with it other than make media for my CaRx.

I can't help but laugh at watching old specials on coral reefs where they said a soccer ball sized colony takes over 100 years to grow. Not sure what coral they were looking at. :rolleyes:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got to get in there and cut a bunch back again. It's going to hurt, but I'll probably throw away a few pieces of that purple slimer that I could cut 20 frags that are 1" and close to that with the orange digi. Not to mention 20 or 30 inches worth of monti caps. The shading is bad again and I just cut them back a few weeks ago. But, with Steve's store shut down and social distancing in place, I have nothing I can do with it other than make media for my CaRx.

I can't help but laugh at watching old specials on coral reefs where they said a soccer ball sized colony takes over 100 years to grow. Not sure what coral they were looking at. :rolleyes:
I'd happily cover shipping :D

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point cant one simply keep the levels where wanted to maintain and not drive so much growth as with soft corals? Or no?
I could probably do some things to slow growth like lower alkalinity and reduce lighting. Not sure how much that would have as far as negative impacts.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could probably do some things to slow growth like lower alkalinity and reduce lighting. Not sure how much that would have as far as negative impacts.
That is what I dunno either. My soft corals simply did not grow and Ca, alk, ph were pretty stable with water changes.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I dunno either. My soft corals simply did not grow and Ca, alk, ph were pretty stable with water changes.
But totally different ball game with SPS, and I know nuthin about SPS. Yes I quoted myself. XO

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back